Professor Robin Evans
- Control Systems
- Radar Systems
- Signal Processing
Rob Evans is a Laureate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
Prof Evans is also the Director of the Victoria Research Laboratory of National ICT Australia (NICTA) at The University of Melbourne.
After completing a BEng degree in electrical engineering at The University of Melbourne in 1969, he worked as a radar systems engineering officer with the Royal Australian Airforce. He completed a PhD in 1975 at the University of Newcastle followed by postdoctoral studies at the Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems, MIT, and the Control and Management Department, Cambridge University, UK. In 1977 he took up an academic position at the University of Newcastle, where he was Head of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering from 1986-1991, and Co-Director of the Centre on Industrial Control Systems between 1988-1991.
In 1992 he moved to The University of Melbourne, where he was Head of the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering until 1996. He was research leader for the Cooperative Centre for Sensor Signal and Information Processing until 2000 and Director of the Centre for Networked Decision Systems until 2004. His research has ranged across many areas including theory and applications in industrial control, radar systems, signal processing and telecommunications. Prof Evans is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science (FAA), a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (FTSE), and Fellow of the Institution of Engineers Australia (FIEAust) and a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (FIEEE).
- Jiang L, Marconcini P, Hossian MS, Qiu W, Evans R, MacUcci M, Skafidas E. A tight binding and →k. →p study of monolayer stanene. Scientific Reports. Nature Publishing Group. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-12281-y
- Hettiarachchi NDJ, Kandeepan S, Evans R. Automobile radar co-channel interference modeling, simulation and outage analysis. 2017 5th International Conference on Information and Communication Technology, ICoIC7 2017. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/ICoICT.2017.8074707
- Amarasekara B, Ranaweera C, Evans R, Nirmalathas A. Dynamic scheduling algorithm for LTE uplink with smart-metering traffic. TRANSACTIONS ON EMERGING TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGIES. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. 2017, Vol. 28, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1002/ett.3163
- Al-Hourani A, Evans R, Moran B, Kandeepan S, Parampalli U. Efficient Range-Doppler Processing for Random Stepped Frequency Radar in Automotive Applications. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference. 2017, Vol. 2017-June. DOI: 10.1109/VTCSpring.2017.8108414
- Evans R. ROBUST FIR DIGITAL FILTER DESIGN.. Proceedings - IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems. 2017.
- Al-Hourani A, Evans R, Kandeepan S, Moran W, Eltom H. Stochastic Geometry Methods for Modeling Automotive Radar Interference. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/TITS.2016.2632309
- Arunthavanathan S, Kandeepan S, Evans R. A Markov Decision Process-Based Opportunistic Spectral Access. IEEE WIRELESS COMMUNICATIONS LETTERS. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2016, Vol. 5, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1109/LWC.2016.2600576
- Nekouei E, Alpcan T, Nair G, Evans R. Convergence Analysis of Quantized Primal-dual Algorithms in Network Utility Maximization Problems. IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2016, Vol. PP, Issue 99. DOI: 10.1109/TCNS.2016.2606897
- Huynh D, Nguyen T, Nguyen P, Abeyrathne C, Hossain M, Evans R, Skafidas E. Environmentally friendly power generator based on moving liquid dielectric and double layer effect. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2016, Vol. 6. DOI: 10.1038/srep26708
- Jiang L, Qiu W, Al-Dirini F, Hossain F, Evans R, Skafidas E. Feasibility study of molecular memory device based on DNA using methylation to store information. JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS. American Institute of Physics. 2016, Vol. 120, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1063/1.4954219
- Arayamparambil Vinaya Mohanan V, Evans R, Mareels I. Generator Induced Operational Limits in a PV Rich Network: The Static Case. 2016 AUSTRALIAN CONTROL CONFERENCE (AUCC). IEEE. 2016. DOI: 10.1109/AUCC.2016.7868218
- Suvorova S, Sun L, Melatos A, Moran W, Evans R. Hidden Markov model tracking of continuous gravitational waves from a neutron star with wandering spin. PHYSICAL REVIEW D. American Physical Society. 2016, Vol. 93, Issue 12. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevD.93.123009
- Eltom H, Kandeepan S, Liang YC, Moran B, Evans R. HMM Based Cooperative Spectrum Occupancy Prediction using Hard Fusion. 2016 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COMMUNICATIONS WORKSHOPS (ICC). IEEE. 2016.
- Nekouei E, Alpcan T, Nair G, Evans R. Lower Bounds on the Best-Case Complexity of Solving a Class of Non-cooperative Games. 6th IFAC Workshop on Distributed Estimation and Control in Networked Systems (NECSYS). Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 49, Issue 22. DOI: 10.1016/j.ifacol.2016.10.404
- Al-Hourani A, Evans R, Kandeepan S. Nearest Neighbor Distance Distribution in Hard-Core Point Processes. IEEE COMMUNICATIONS LETTERS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2016, Vol. 20, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1109/LCOMM.2016.2591017
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile