Associate Professor Martin Gibbs
- Sociology of Recreational and Domestic Uses of Information Technology
Dr Martin Gibbs is an Associate Professor in the Department of Computing and Information Systems at The University of Melbourne.
- how people use a variety of interactive technologies (video games, community networks, mobile phones; etc) for convivial and sociable purposes in a variety of situations (intimate strong-tie relationships, local neighborhoods, work-based occupational communities, online computer games)
- social dynamics of digital and board games
- digital commemoration and the use of interactive technologies at end-of-life
- Mavoa J, Gibbs M, Carter M. Constructing the young child media user in Australia: a discourse analysis of Facebook comments. Journal of Children and Media. Routledge. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 3.
- Muller FF, Gibbs M, Vetere F, Edge D. Designing for Bodily Interplay in Social Exertion Games. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON COMPUTER-HUMAN INTERACTION. Association for Computing Machinery. 2017, Vol. 24, Issue 3.
- Kohn T, Van Ryn L, Nansen B, Arnold M, Gibbs M. Researching Death Online. The Routledge Companion to Digital Ethnography. Routledge. 2017. Editors: Hjorth L, Horst H, Galloway A, Bell G.
- Arnold M, Van Ryn, Nansen B, Gibbs M. Researching Death Online. The Routledge Companion to Digital Ethnography. Routledge. 2017. Editors: Hjorth, Horst, Galloway, Bell.
- Nansen B, Kohn T, Arnold M, Van Ryn L, Gibbs M. Social Media in the Funeral Industry: On the Digitization of Grief. JOURNAL OF BROADCASTING & ELECTRONIC MEDIA. Routledge. 2017, Vol. 61, Issue 1.
- Kohn T, Meese J, Arnold M, Gibbs M, Nansen B. The Social Life of the Dead and the Leisured Life of the Living Online. Leisure and Death: Lively Encounters with Risk, Death, and Dying. 2017. Editors: Kaul A, Skinner J.
- Rogerson M, Gibbs M, Smith M. "I love all the bits": The Materiality of Boardgames. 34th Annual CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI4GOOD). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016.
- Allison F, Carter M, Gibbs M. A History of Voice Interaction in Games. 1st International Joint Conference of DiGRA and FDG. 2016.
- Arnold M, Nansen B, Kennedy J, Gibbs M, Harrop M, Wilken R. An Ontography of Broadband on a Domestic Scale. Transformations Journal. Central Queensland University. 2016, Vol. 27.
- Nansen B, Wilken R, Kennedy J, Arnold M, Gibbs M. Methodological and ethical concerns associated with digital ethnography in domestic environments: Participant burden and burdensome technologies. Ethics and Visual Research Methods: Theory, Methodology, and Practice. 2016.
- Gibbs M, Mori J, Carter M. RIP vile rat: Makeshift memorials in EVE online. Internet Spaceships are Serious Business: An EVE Online Reader. 2016.
- Gibbs M, Meese J, Arnold M, Nansen B, Carter M. #Funeral and Instagram: death, social media, and platform vernacular. Annual Conference of the Association-of-Internet-Research. Routledge. 2015, Vol. 18, Issue 3.
- Nansen B, Kennedy J, Arnold M, Gibbs M, Wilken R. Digital ethnographic techniques in domestic spaces: Notes on methods and ethics. Visual Methodologies. 2015, Vol. 3, Issue 2.
- Kennedy J, Nansen B, Arnold M, Wilken R, Gibbs M. Digital housekeepers and domestic expertise in the networked home. CONVERGENCE-THE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF RESEARCH INTO NEW MEDIA TECHNOLOGIES. Sage Publications. 2015, Vol. 21, Issue 4.
- Rogerson M, Gibbs M, Smith M. Digitising boardgames: Issues and tensions. DiGRA 2015 - Proceedings of the 2015 DiGRA International Conference: Diversity of Play. 2015.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile