Associate Professor Martin Gibbs
- Sociology of Recreational and Domestic Uses of Information Technology
Dr Martin Gibbs is an Associate Professor in the Department of Computing and Information Systems at The University of Melbourne.
- how people use a variety of interactive technologies (video games, community networks, mobile phones; etc) for convivial and sociable purposes in a variety of situations (intimate strong-tie relationships, local neighborhoods, work-based occupational communities, online computer games)
- social dynamics of digital and board games
- digital commemoration and the use of interactive technologies at end-of-life
- Kohn T, Meese J, Arnold M, Gibbs M, Nansen B. The Social Life of the Dead and the Leisured Life of the Living Online. Leisure and Death: An Anthropological Tour of Risk, Death, and Dying. 2018. Editors: Kaul A, Skinner J.
- Mavoa J, Carter M, Gibbs M. Beyond addiction: Positive and negative parent perceptions of minecraft play. CHI PLAY 2017 - Proceedings of the Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3116595.3116638
- Mavoa J, Carter M, Gibbs M. Children and Minecraft: A survey of children’s digital play. New Media and Society. Sage Publications. 2017.
- Mavoa J, Gibbs M, Carter M. Constructing the young child media user in Australia: a discourse analysis of Facebook comments. JOURNAL OF CHILDREN AND MEDIA. Routledge. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1080/17482798.2017.1308400
- Muller FF, Gibbs M, Vetere F, Edge D. Designing for Bodily Interplay in Social Exertion Games. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON COMPUTER-HUMAN INTERACTION. Association for Computing Machinery. 2017, Vol. 24, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1145/3064938
- Van Ryn L, Kohn T, Nansen B, Arnold M, Gibbs M. RESEARCHING DEATH ONLINE. ROUTLEDGE COMPANION TO DIGITAL ETHNOGRAPHY. Routledge. 2017. Editors: Hjorth L, Horst H, Galloway A, Bell G.
- Nansen B, Kohn T, Arnold M, Van Ryn L, Gibbs M. Social Media in the Funeral Industry: On the Digitization of Grief. JOURNAL OF BROADCASTING & ELECTRONIC MEDIA. Routledge. 2017, Vol. 61, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1080/08838151.2016.1273925
- Gibbs M, Carter M, Nansen B. Those LED-Lit Water-Kooled Multi-Screen Streamline Battlestations. AoIR Selected Papers of Internet Research. Association of Internet Researchers. 2017.
- Gibbs M, Carter M, Witkowski E. Understanding eSports in Australia: Players, Fans, Recruits. AoIR: Selected Papers of Internet Research. Association of Internet Researchers. 2017.
- Rogerson M, Gibbs M, Smith M. What can we learn from eye tracking boardgame play?. CHI PLAY 2017 Extended Abstracts - Extended Abstracts Publication of the Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3130859.3131314
- Rogerson M, Gibbs M, Smith M. "I love all the bits": The Materiality of Boardgames. 34th Annual CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI4GOOD). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016. DOI: 10.1145/2858036.2858433
- Allison F, Carter M, Gibbs M. A History of Voice Interaction in Games. 1st International Joint Conference of DiGRA and FDG. 2016.
- Arnold M, Nansen B, Kennedy J, Gibbs M, Harrop M, Wilken R. An Ontography of Broadband on a Domestic Scale. Transformations Journal. Central Queensland University. 2016, Vol. 27.
- Nansen B, Wilken R, Kennedy J, Arnold M, Gibbs M. Methodological and ethical concerns associated with digital ethnography in domestic environments: Participant burden and burdensome technologies. Ethics and Visual Research Methods: Theory, Methodology, and Practice. 2016. DOI: 10.1057/978-1-137-54305-9_4
- Gibbs M, Mori J, Carter M. RIP vile rat: Makeshift memorials in EVE online. Internet Spaceships are Serious Business: An EVE Online Reader. 2016.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile