Professor Shanika Karunasekera
- Distributed Computing (Intrusion detection, Anomaly detection, Distributed data mining, Data stream analysis)
- Mobile Computing (Routing protocols for mobile networks)
- P2P Networks (Decentralized aggregation protocols, Gossip-based aggregation)
- Sensor Networks (Enviromental Monitoring, Pollution monitoring)
- Social Network Analysis (Data stream analysis, Discussion and topic tracking on social media)
Shanika Karunasekera is a Professor in the School of Computing and Information Systems at Melbourne School of Engineering.
Shanika completed a BSc in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering at the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka with a First Class Honours in 1990. She was the recipient of the UNESCO Gold Medal for the Best Engineering Undergraduate at the University in 1990. She completed a PhD in Electrical Engineering at the University of Cambridge, UK in 1994. From 1995 to 2002 she worked for Lucent Technologies, Bell Labs Innovation, USA where she was a Distinguished Member of Technical Staff.
Shanika joined the Melbourne School of Engineering in 2003. Her primary disciplines of focus in teaching and research are Software Engineering and Distributed Computing. Since 2007 she has been the Discipline Leader for Software Engineering at the Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering. During her time at the University she has won many teaching awards including a National Carrick Citation in 2007, and Kelvin Medal and Excellence in teaching award from the Melbourne School of Engineering in 2006.
Shanika has extensive research interests in distributed computing, network intrusion detection, sensor networks, social network analysis and mining, mobile computing, software engineering and STEM education and peer to peer computing. Shanika has published widely in high ranking journals and conferences in her research discipline. Shanika has also established research collaborations with many industries and government bodies.
- Mousavi SM, Harwood A, Karunasekera S, Maghrebi M. Enhancing the quality of geometries of interest (GOIs) extracted from GPS trajectory data using spatio-temporal data aggregation and outlier detection. JOURNAL OF AMBIENT INTELLIGENCE AND HUMANIZED COMPUTING. Dr Dietrich Steinkopff Verlag. 2018, Vol. 9, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1007/s12652-016-0426-8
- Lim K, Chan J, Leckie C, Karunasekera S. Personalized trip recommendation for tourists based on user interests, points of interest visit durations and visit recency. KNOWLEDGE AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS. Springer London. 2018, Vol. 54, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1007/s10115-017-1056-y
- Jayasekara S, Karunasekera S, Harwood A. A Multi-stage Hierarchical Window Model with Application to Real-Time Graph Analysis. 2017 IEEE 37TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON DISTRIBUTED COMPUTING SYSTEMS (ICDCS 2017). IEEE Computer Society. 2017. Editors: Lee K, Liu L. DOI: 10.1109/ICDCS.2017.225
- Xie H, Karunasekera S, Kulik L, Tanin E, Zhang R, Kotagiri R. A Simulation Study of Emergency Vehicle Prioritization in Intelligent Transportation Systems. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference. 2017, Vol. 2017-June. DOI: 10.1109/VTCSpring.2017.8108282
- Karunaratne P, Karunasekera S, Harwood A. Distributed stream clustering using micro-clusters on Apache Storm. JOURNAL OF PARALLEL AND DISTRIBUTED COMPUTING. Academic Press. 2017, Vol. 108. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpdc.2016.06.004
- Islam M, Karunasekera S, Buyya R. dSpark: Deadline-based Resource Allocation for Big Data Applications in Apache Spark. 13th Annual IEEE International Conference on e-Science (e-Science). IEEE. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/eScience.2017.21
- Liu X, Harwood A, Karunasekera S, Rubinstein B, Buyya R. E-Storm: Replication-based State Management in Distributed Stream Processing Systems. 2017 46TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON PARALLEL PROCESSING (ICPP). CRC Press. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/ICPP.2017.66
- Bin Khunayn E, Karunasekera S, Xie H, Kotagiri R. Exploiting Data Dependency to Mitigate Stragglers in Distributed Spatial Simulation. GIS: Proceedings of the ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems. 2017, Vol. 2017-November. DOI: 10.1145/3139958.3140018
- Mousavi SM, Harwood A, Karunasekera S, Maghrebi M. Geometry of interest (GOI): spatio-temporal destination extraction and partitioning in GPS trajectory data. JOURNAL OF AMBIENT INTELLIGENCE AND HUMANIZED COMPUTING. Dr Dietrich Steinkopff Verlag. 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1007/s12652-016-0400-5
- Karunaratne P, Moshtaghi M, Karunasekera S, Harwood A, Cohn T. Modelling the working week for multi-step forecasting using Gaussian process regression. IJCAI International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence. AAAI Press. 2017.
- Bukhari I, Harwood A, Karunasekera S. Optimum Benefit Protocol: A fast converging, bandwidth-efficient decentralized similarity overlay. JOURNAL OF PARALLEL AND DISTRIBUTED COMPUTING. Academic Press. 2017, Vol. 109. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpdc.2017.05.013
- Lim K, Chan J, Karunasekera S, Leckie C. Personalized itinerary recommendation with queuing time awareness. SIGIR 2017 - Proceedings of the 40th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3077136.3080778
- Vanni M, Kase SE, Karunasekera S, Falzon L, Harwood A. RAPID: Real-time analytics platform for interactive data-mining in a decision support scenario. 5th Conference on Next-Generation Analyst. SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering. 2017, Vol. 10207. Editors: Hanratty TP, Llinas J. DOI: 10.1117/12.2263748
- Samarawickrama S, Karunasekera S, Harwood A, Kotagiri R. Search result personalization in twitter using neural word embeddings. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Verlag. 2017, Vol. 10440 LNCS. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-64283-3_18
- Kotagiri R, Xie H, Kulik L, Karunasekera S, Tanin E, Zhang R, Bin Khunayn E. SMARTS: Scalable Microscopic Adaptive Road Traffic Simulator. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGY. ACM Press. 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1145/2898363
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile