Professor Shanika Karunasekera
- Distributed Computing (Intrusion detection, Anomaly detection, Distributed data mining, Data stream analysis)
- Mobile Computing (Routing protocols for mobile networks)
- P2P Networks (Decentralized aggregation protocols, Gossip-based aggregation)
- Sensor Networks (Enviromental Monitoring, Pollution monitoring)
- Social Network Analysis (Data stream analysis, Discussion and topic tracking on social media)
Shanika Karunasekera is a Professor in the School of Computing and Information Systems at Melbourne School of Engineering.
Shanika completed a BSc in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering at the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka with a First Class Honours in 1990. She was the recipient of the UNESCO Gold Medal for the Best Engineering Undergraduate at the University in 1990. She completed a PhD in Electrical Engineering at the University of Cambridge, UK in 1994. From 1995 to 2002 she worked for Lucent Technologies, Bell Labs Innovation, USA where she was a Distinguished Member of Technical Staff.
Shanika joined the Melbourne School of Engineering in 2003. Her primary disciplines of focus in teaching and research are Software Engineering and Distributed Computing. Since 2007 she has been the Discipline Leader for Software Engineering at the Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering. During her time at the University she has won many teaching awards including a National Carrick Citation in 2007, and Kelvin Medal and Excellence in teaching award from the Melbourne School of Engineering in 2006.
Shanika has extensive research interests in distributed computing, network intrusion detection, sensor networks, social network analysis and mining, mobile computing, software engineering and STEM education and peer to peer computing. Shanika has published widely in high ranking journals and conferences in her research discipline. Shanika has also established research collaborations with many industries and government bodies.
- Karunaratne P, Karunasekera S, Harwood A. Distributed stream clustering using micro-clusters on Apache Storm. JOURNAL OF PARALLEL AND DISTRIBUTED COMPUTING. Academic Press. 2017, Vol. 108.
- Kotagiri R, Xie H, Kulik L, Karunasekera S, Tanin E, Zhang R, Bin Khunayn E. SMARTS: Scalable Microscopic Adaptive Road Traffic Simulator. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGY. ACM Press. 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 2.
- Moshtaghi M, Leckie C, Karunasekera S. A framework for distributed data analysis for IoT. Internet of Things: Principles and Paradigms. 2016.
- Ghafoori Z, Monazam Erfani S, Rajasegarar S, Karunasekera S, Leckie C. Anomaly Detection in Non-stationary Data: Ensemble based Self-Adaptive OCSVM. 2016 INTERNATIONAL JOINT CONFERENCE ON NEURAL NETWORKS (IJCNN). IEEE. 2016, Vol. 2016-October.
- Monazam Erfani S, Rajasegarar S, Karunasekera S, Leckie C. High-dimensional and large-scale anomaly detection using a linear one-class SVM with deep learning. PATTERN RECOGNITION. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2016, Vol. 58.
- Lim K, Wang X, Chan J, Karunasekera S, Leckie C, Chen Y, Tan CL, Gao FQ, Wee TK. PersTour: A personalized tour recommendation and planning system. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. 2016, Vol. 1628.
- Lim K, Chan J, Leckie C, Karunasekera S. Towards next generation touring: Personalized group tours. Proceedings International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling, ICAPS. 2016, Vol. 2016-January.
- Ghafoori Z, Rajasegarar S, Monazam Erfani S, Karunasekera S, Leckie C. Unsupervised Parameter Estimation for One-Class Support Vector Machines. 20th Pacific-Asia Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (PAKDD). Springer Verlag. 2016, Vol. 9652. Editors: Bailey J, Khan L, Washio T, Dobbie G, Huang JZ, Wang R.
- Nguyen U, Karunasekera S, Kulik L, Tanin E, Zhang R, Zhang H, Xie H, Kotagiri R. A Randomized Path Routing Algorithm for Decentralized Route Allocation in Transportation Networks. 8th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on Computational Transportation Science (IWCTS). 2015.
- Lim K, Chan J, Leckie C, Karunasekera S. Detecting location-centric communities using social-spatial links with temporal constraints. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Verlag. 2015, Vol. 9022.
- Bukhari I, Harwood A, Karunasekera S. Effect of Similarity Distribution on the Convergence of Decentralized Similarity Overlays. Conferences in Research and Practice in Information Technology Series. Australian Computer Society. 2015, Vol. 163.
- Moshtaghi M, Bezdek JC, Leckie C, Karunasekera S, Palaniswami M. Evolving Fuzzy Rules for Anomaly Detection in Data Streams. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON FUZZY SYSTEMS. IEE Institute of Electronic Engineers. 2015, Vol. 23, Issue 3.
- Samarawickrama S, Karunasekera S, Harwood A. Finding High-level Topics and Tweet Labeling Using Topic Models. 2015 IEEE 21ST INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON PARALLEL AND DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS (ICPADS). IEEE. 2015, Vol. 2016-January.
- Lim K, Chan J, Leckie C, Karunasekera S. Improving Location Prediction using a Social Historical Model with Strict Recency Context. 5th Workshop on Context-awareness in Retrieval and Recommendation (CaRR). 2015.
- Aldwyish A, Tanin E, Karunasekera S. Location-based Social Networking for Obtaining Personalised Driving Advice. 23RD ACM SIGSPATIAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ADVANCES IN GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS (ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS 2015). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2015, Vol. 03-06-November-2015. Editors: Ali M, Huang Y, Gertz M, Renz M, Sankaranarayanan J.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile