Associate Professor Michael Kirley
- Artificial Intelligence (Learning)
- Complex Adaptive Systems (Complexity)
- Evolutionary Computation (Algorithms)
- Multi-Agent Systems (Autonomous agents)
Since 2004, Dr Michael Kirley has been a member of the academic staff at The University of Melbourne, where he holds an appointment as an Associate Professor (effective Jan 1, 2016) in the School of Computing and Information Systems within the Melbourne School of Engineering.
- Michael's research interests are focussed within the areas of evolutionary computation and multi-agent systems, or more generally, complex adaptive systems.
- Typically, research projects undertaken incorporate a combination of theoretical inquiry, computational modelling and empirical study using evolutionary-based multi-agent systems. Specific application domains investigated include: biologically inspired search and optimization techniques (eg. parallel evolutionary algorithms using Cloud computing deployment models); genetic-based machine learning (eg. classifier systems); the computational modelling of biological systems (eg. renal physiology; population ecology); social systems (eg. cultural dynamics; the evolution of cooperation in multi-player games); and economic systems (eg. double auction mechanisms; adaptive trading agents);
Michael has received multiple awards for excellence in both teaching and research:
- Excellence in Research 2009, Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering, The University of Melbourne
- Excellence in Teaching 2011, Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering, The University of Melbourne
- Teaching Excellence 2005, Faculty of Engineering, The University of Melbourne
- Excellence in Teaching 2004, Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering, The University of Melbourne
- Sun Y, Kirley M, Halgamuge S. A memetic cooperative co-evolution model for large scale continuous optimization. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Verlag. 2017, Vol. 10142 LNAI.
- Cruz C, Kirley M, Karakiewicz J. Generation and exploration of architectural form using a composite cellular automata. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Verlag. 2017, Vol. 10142 LNAI.
- Sun Y, Kirley M, Halgamuge S. Quantifying Variable Interactions in Continuous Optimization Problems. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON EVOLUTIONARY COMPUTATION. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 21, Issue 2.
- Cruz C, Karakiewicz J, Kirley M. A Morphogenetic Design Strategy Using a Composite CA Model. Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016. Editors: Friedrich T.
- Varmazyar M, Kirley M. A wavelet-based Bayesian damage identification technique using an evolutionary algorithm. Australian Journal of Structural Engineering. Institution of Engineers Australia. 2016, Vol. 17, Issue 4.
- Stivala A, Kashima Y, Kirley M. Culture and cooperation in a spatial public goods game. PHYSICAL REVIEW E. American Physical Society. 2016, Vol. 94, Issue 3.
- Stivala A, Robins G, Kashima Y, Kirley M. Diversity and Community Can Coexist. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF COMMUNITY PSYCHOLOGY. Springer. 2016, Vol. 57, Issue 1-2.
- Xue S, Oliveira E, Oliveira EA, Kirley M. HackSpace: A platform for designing and promoting customised interactions in digital ecosystems. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2016, Vol. Part F126592.
- Munoz MA, Kirley M. ICARUS: Identification of Complementary algoRithms by Uncovered Sets. 2016 IEEE CONGRESS ON EVOLUTIONARY COMPUTATION (CEC). IEEE. 2016.
- Kirley M, Von Der Osten F. Risk sensitivity and assortment in social dilemmas. SOFT COMPUTING. Springer Verlag. 2016, Vol. 20, Issue 10.
- Cruz C, Karakiewicz J, Kirley M. TOWARDS THE IMPLEMENTATION OF A COMPOSITE CELLULAR AUTOMATA MODEL FOR THE EXPLORATION OF DESIGN SPACE. 21st International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA). School of Architecture, Nanjing University. 2016. Editors: Chien SF, Choo S, Schnabel MA, Nakapan W, Kim MJ, Roudavski S.
- Varmazyar M, Haritos N, Kirley M. A Bayesian damage identification technique using evolutionary algorithms -A comparative study. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering. Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering International. 2015, Vol. 14, Issue 1.
- Munoz MA, Sun Y, Kirley M, Halgamuge S. Algorithm selection for black-box continuous optimization problems: A survey on methods and challenges. INFORMATION SCIENCES. Elsevier. 2015, Vol. 317.
- Kirley M, Fonseca JCB, Gama K. Device Nimbus: An Intelligent Middleware for Smarter Services for Health and Fitness. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DISTRIBUTED SENSOR NETWORKS. Hindawi Publishing Corp. 2015.
- Shank D, Kashima Y, Saber S, Gale T, Kirley M. Dilemma of Dilemmas: How Collective and Individual Perspectives Can Clarify the Size Dilemma in Voluntary Linear Public Goods Dilemmas. PLOS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2015, Vol. 10, Issue 3.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile