Associate Professor Michael Kirley
- Artificial Intelligence (Learning)
- Complex Adaptive Systems (Complexity)
- Evolutionary Computation (Algorithms)
- Multi-Agent Systems (Autonomous agents)
Since 2004, Dr Michael Kirley has been a member of the academic staff at The University of Melbourne, where he holds an appointment as an Associate Professor (effective Jan 1, 2016) in the School of Computing and Information Systems within the Melbourne School of Engineering.
- Michael's research interests are focussed within the areas of evolutionary computation and multi-agent systems, or more generally, complex adaptive systems.
- Typically, research projects undertaken incorporate a combination of theoretical inquiry, computational modelling and empirical study using evolutionary-based multi-agent systems. Specific application domains investigated include: biologically inspired search and optimization techniques (eg. parallel evolutionary algorithms using Cloud computing deployment models); genetic-based machine learning (eg. classifier systems); the computational modelling of biological systems (eg. renal physiology; population ecology); social systems (eg. cultural dynamics; the evolution of cooperation in multi-player games); and economic systems (eg. double auction mechanisms; adaptive trading agents);
Michael has received multiple awards for excellence in both teaching and research:
- Excellence in Research 2009, Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering, The University of Melbourne
- Excellence in Teaching 2011, Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering, The University of Melbourne
- Teaching Excellence 2005, Faculty of Engineering, The University of Melbourne
- Excellence in Teaching 2004, Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering, The University of Melbourne
- Sun Y, Kirley M, Halgamuge S. A Memetic Cooperative Co-evolution Model for Large Scale Continuous Optimization. 3rd Australasian Conference on Artificial Life and Computational Intelligence (ACALCI). Springer Verlag. 2017, Vol. 10142. Editors: Wagner M, Li X, Hendtlass T. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-51691-2_25
- Chica M, Chiong R, Kirley M, Ishibuchi H. A Networked N-player Trust Game and its Evolutionary Dynamics. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/TEVC.2017.2769081
- Sun Y, Kirley M, Halgamuge S. A Recursive Decomposition Method for Large Scale Continuous Optimization. IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/TEVC.2017.2778089
- Cruz C, Kirley M, Karakiewicz J. Generation and Exploration of Architectural Form Using a Composite Cellular Automata. 3rd Australasian Conference on Artificial Life and Computational Intelligence (ACALCI). Springer Verlag. 2017, Vol. 10142. Editors: Wagner M, Li X, Hendtlass T. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-51691-2_9
- Kashima Y, Kirley M, Stivala A, Robins G. Modeling cultural dynamics. Computational Social Psychology. 2017. DOI: 10.4324/9781315173726
- Sun Y, Kirley M, Halgamuge S. Quantifying Variable Interactions in Continuous Optimization Problems. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON EVOLUTIONARY COMPUTATION. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 21, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/TEVC.2016.2599164
- Von Der Osten F, Kirley M, Miller T. Sustainability is possible despite greed - Exploring the nexus between profitability and sustainability in common pool resource systems. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-02151-y
- Von Der Osten F, Kirley M, Miller T. The minds of many: Opponent modelling in a stochastic game. IJCAI International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence. AAAI Press. 2017.
- Cruz C, Karakiewicz J, Kirley M. A Morphogenetic Design Strategy Using a Composite CA Model. Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016. Editors: Friedrich T. DOI: 10.1145/2908961.2909058
- Varmazyar M, Haritos N, Kirley M. A wavelet-based Bayesian damage identification technique using an evolutionary algorithm. AUSTRALIAN JOURNAL OF STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING. Institution of Engineers Australia. 2016, Vol. 17, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1080/13287982.2016.1259712
- Stivala A, Kashima Y, Kirley M. Culture and cooperation in a spatial public goods game. PHYSICAL REVIEW E. American Physical Society. 2016, Vol. 94, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevE.94.032303
- Stivala A, Robins G, Kashima Y, Kirley M. Diversity and Community Can Coexist. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF COMMUNITY PSYCHOLOGY. Springer. 2016, Vol. 57, Issue 1-2. DOI: 10.1002/ajcp.12021
- Xue S, Oliveira E, Kirley M. HackSpace: A platform for designing and promoting customised interactions in digital ecosystems. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2016, Vol. Part F126592. DOI: 10.1145/3014340.3014347
- Munoz MA, Kirley M. ICARUS: Identification of Complementary algoRithms by Uncovered Sets. 2016 IEEE CONGRESS ON EVOLUTIONARY COMPUTATION (CEC). IEEE. 2016.
- Kirley M, Von Der Osten F. Risk sensitivity and assortment in social dilemmas. SOFT COMPUTING. Springer Verlag. 2016, Vol. 20, Issue 10. DOI: 10.1007/s00500-016-2090-5
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile