Professor Tim Baldwin
- Natural Language Processing (Text mining, social media analytics, text anallytics)
Prof Timothy Baldwin is a Professor in the Department of Computing and Information Systems, The University of Melbourne, an Australian Research Council Future Fellow, and a contributed research staff member of NICTA Victoria. He has previously held visiting positions at the University of Washington, University of Tokyo, Saarland University, and NTT Communication Science Laboratories. His research interests include text mining of social media, computational lexical semantics, information extraction and web mining, with a particular interest in the interface between computational and theoretical linguistics. Current projects include web user forum mining, text mining of Twitter, and intelligent interfaces for Japanese language learners. He is currently Secretary of the Australasian Language Technology Association, and a member of the Executive Committee of the Asian Federation of Natural Language Processing. Tim completed a BSc(CS/Maths) and BA(Linguistics/Japanese) at The University of Melbourne in 1995, and an MEng(CS) and PhD(CS) at the Tokyo Institute of Technology in 1998 and 2001, respectively. Prior to commencing his current position at The University of Melbourne, he was a Senior Research Engineer at the Center for the Study of Language and Information, Stanford University (2001-2004).
- Graham Y, Baldwin T, Moffat A, Zobel J. Can machine translation systems be evaluated by the crowd alone. NATURAL LANGUAGE ENGINEERING. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 23, Issue 1.
- Vylomova E, Cotterell R, Baldwin T, Cohn T. Context-aware prediction of derivational word-forms. 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, EACL 2017 - Proceedings of Conference. 2017, Vol. 2.
- Aletras N, Baldwin T, Lau J, Stevenson M. Evaluating Topic Representations for Exploring Document Collections. JOURNAL OF THE ASSOCIATION FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY. John Wiley & Sons. 2017, Vol. 68, Issue 1.
- Graham Y, Ma Q, Baldwin T, Liu Q, Parra C, Scarton C. Improving evaluation of document-level machine translation quality estimation. 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, EACL 2017 - Proceedings of Conference. 2017, Vol. 2.
- Sorodoc I, Lau JH, Aletras N, Baldwin T. Multimodal topic labelling. 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, EACL 2017 - Proceedings of Conference. 2017, Vol. 2.
- Li Y, Cohn T, Baldwin T. Robust training under linguistic adversity. 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, EACL 2017 - Proceedings of Conference. 2017, Vol. 2.
- McGreevy P, Thomson P, Dhand NK, Raubenheimer D, Masters S, Mansfield C, Baldwin T, Magalhaes RJS, Rand J, Hill P, Peaston A, Gilkerson J, Combs M, Raidal S, Irwin P, Irons P, Squires R, Brodbelt D, Hammond J. Vetcompass Australia: A national big data collection system for veterinary science. Animals. MDPI AG. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 10.
- Magdy W, Darwish K, Abokhodair N, Rahimi A, Baldwin T. #ISISisNotIslam or #DeportAllMuslims? Predicting Unspoken Views. 8th ACM Web Science Conference (WebSci). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016.
- McCaughey T, Sanfilippo P, Gooden GEC, Budden D, Fan L, Fenwick E, Rees G, MacGregor C, Si L, Chen C, Liang H, Baldwin T, Pebay A, Hewitt A. A Global Social Media Survey of Attitudes to Human Genome Editing. CELL STEM CELL. Cell Press. 2016, Vol. 18, Issue 5.
- Lau J, Baldwin T. An Empirical Evaluation of doc2vec with Practical Insights into Document Embedding Generation. 1st Workshop on Representation Learning for NLP. The Association for Computational Linguistics. 2016.
- Bhatia S, Lau J, Baldwin T. Automatic Labelling of Topics with Neural Embeddings. 26th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING). The Association for Computational Linguistics. 2016.
- Baldwin T. Balancing up Efficiency and Accuracy in Translation Retrieval. Readings in Japanese Natural Language Processing. 2016. Editors: Bond F, Baldwin T, Inui K, Ishizaki S, Nakagawa H, Shimazu A.
- Brooke J, Baldwin T, Hammond A. Bootstrapped text-level named entity recognition for literature. 54th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL). 2016.
- Hoogeveen D, Verspoor C, Baldwin T. CQADupStack: Gold or Silver?. Proceedings of the Second WebQA Workshop. 2016.
- Salehi B, Cook P, Baldwin T. Determining the Multiword Expression Inventory of a Surprise Language. 26th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING). The Association for Computational Linguistics. 2016.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile