Professor Richard Sinnott
- IT security (authentication, authorisation, auditing and accounting systems)
- biomedical IT systems (bioinformatics, life science data management)
- clinical IT systems (biobanking, clinical trials, epidemiology, disease registries)
- eResearch across multiple application areas (security, HPC, data management, distributed systems)
- engineering IT systems (large scale supercomputing / Grids)
- public health IT systems (social, clinical, geospatial, environmental systems)
- social science IT systems (social simulation, microdata)
- software engineering (real time systems, formal methods, distributed systems)
Director of eResearch at the University of Melbourne since July 2010 and Professor of Applied Computing Systems in Computing and Information Systems Department, Melbourne School of Engineering. In these roles he is responsible for all aspects of eResearch (research-oriented IT development) at the University. He has been lead software engineer/architect on an extensive portfolio of national and international projects, with specific focus on those research domains requiring finer-grained access control (security).
Prior to this position he was Technical Director of the National e-Science Centre at the University of Glasgow, Scotland and Director of e-Science at Glasgow. In these roles he was responsible for organising and administrating both UK wide work and local Glasgow University activities associated with e-Science. He also held the position of Deputy Technical Director for the Bioinformatics Research Centre at the University of Glasgow and Technical Manager of the National Centre for e-Social Science (based in Manchester). He was involved in many applications-oriented projects applying a wide variety of Grid/eResearch based technologies (see below).
Richard ran his own software consultancy company in the area of real time telecommunication systems and was a senior research scientist for several years based in Berlin, Germany. He was also editor of several international computing standards (ITU-T X904). He has over 150 publications covering all aspects of computing science: from theoretical computing science; real time systems; security and more recently in eResearch and its applications. Richard currently lectures in cloud computing.
- Kozhirbayev Z, Sinnott R. A performance comparison of container-based technologies for the Cloud. FUTURE GENERATION COMPUTER SYSTEMS-THE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ESCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 68.
- Wang P, Gao M, Sinnott R. Enhanced gender identification through social media analytics on the cloud. 18th IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing and Communications; 14th IEEE International Conference on Smart City; 2nd IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Systems (HPCC/SmartCity/DSS). 2017.
- Sinnott R, Duan H, Sun Y. A Case Study in Big Data Analytics: Exploring Twitter Sentiment Analysis and the Weather. Big Data Principles and Paradigms. 2016.
- Sinnott R, Voorsluys W. A scalable Cloud-based system for data-intensive spatial analysis. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL ON SOFTWARE TOOLS FOR TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER. Dr Dietrich Steinkopff Verlag. 2016, Vol. 18, Issue 6.
- Hussain S, Sinnott R, Poet R. A Security-oriented Workflow Framework for Collaborative Environments. 15th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom). IEEE. 2016.
- Hussain S, Sinnott R, Poet R. Architectural Patterns for Security-Oriented Workflows in Collaborative Environments. 9th International Conference on Security, Privacy, and Anonymity in Computation, Communication and Storage (SpaCCS). Springer Verlag. 2016, Vol. 0066. Editors: Wang G, Ray I, Calero JMA, Thampi SM.
- Clapin H, Phelan H, Bruns L, Sinnott R, Colman P, Craig M, Jones T. Australasian diabetes data network: Building a collaborative resource. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology. Diabetes Technology Society. 2016, Vol. 10, Issue 5.
- Sinnott R, Cui S. Benchmarking Sentiment Analysis Approaches on the Cloud. 2016 IEEE 22ND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON PARALLEL AND DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS (ICPADS). IEEE. 2016. Editors: Liao X, Lovas R, Shen X, Zheng R.
- Sinnott R, Beuschlein F, Effendy J, Eisenhofer G, Gloeckner S, Stell A. Beyond a Disease Registry: An Integrated Virtual Environment for Adrenal Cancer Research. JOURNAL OF GRID COMPUTING. Springer Verlag. 2016, Vol. 14, Issue 4.
- Sinnott R, Chen W. Estimating Crowd Sizes Through Social Media. 2016 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON PERVASIVE COMPUTING AND COMMUNICATION WORKSHOPS (PERCOM WORKSHOPS). IEEE. 2016.
- Li Z, Sinnott R, Choon YW, Sjaugi MF, Mohammad MS, Deris S, Napis S, Omatu S, Manuel Corchado J, Ibrahim Z, Yusof ZM. Exploring the High Performance Computing-Enablement of a Suite of Gene-Knockout Based Genetic Engineering Applications. 10TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS OF COMPUTATIONAL BIOLOGY & BIOINFORMATICS. Springer. 2016, Vol. 477. Editors: Mohamad MS, Rocha MP, Fdezriverola F, Mayo FJD, Depaz JF.
- Napal S, Friedrich C, Wise C, Sinnott R, Jang-Jaccard J, Chen S. Key Management Service: Enabling Secure Sharing and Deletion of Documents on Public Clouds. Services Transactions of Cloud Computing. 2016, Vol. 4, Issue 2.
- Sinnott R, Thomas NA, Bansal H, Zhao Z. My ever changing moods: Sentiment-based event detection on the cloud. Proceedings - 9th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing, UCC 2016. 2016.
- Sinnott R, Bayliss C, Bromage A, Galang G, Gong Y, Greenwood P, Jayaputera G, Marques D, Morandini L, Karami Nogoorani G, Pursultani H, Sarwar M, Voorsluys W, Widjaja I. Privacy Preserving Geo-Linkage in the Big Urban Data Era. JOURNAL OF GRID COMPUTING. Springer Verlag. 2016, Vol. 14, Issue 4.
- Wang S, Sinnott R. Privacy-protected Social Media User Trajectories Calibration. IEEE 12th International Conference on eScience (eScience). IEEE. 2016.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile