Dr Vanessa Teague
- Electronic voting
- IT security & privacy
Vanessa Teague is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Computing and Information Systems at at The University of Melbourne. She did her Bachelor's Degree at The University of Melbourne and her Ph.D. in cryptography and game theory at Stanford University.
Her main research interest is in electronic voting, with a focus on cryptographic schemes for end-to-end verifiable elections and a special interest in complex voting schemes such as STV. She was a major contributor to the Victorian Electoral Commission's end-to-end verifiable electronic voting project, the first of its kind to run at a state level anywhere in the world, joint work with Chris Culnane, Peter Ryan and Steve Schneider. She recently discovered, with Alex Halderman, serious security vulnerabilities in the NSW iVote Internet voting system.
In an effort to comply with Australian law controlling the export of cryptography, all cryptography research for which she does not have an explicit permit is published openly online. See https://www.sharelatex.com/project/56d7e2eb6eb914c61613fcdb for the current un-licensed project.
She has been invited to appear before several parliamentary inquiries into elections at the state and federal level, to answer questions on electronic voting.
She is on the advisory board of Verified Voting and has been co-chair of the USENIX Electronic Voting Technologies Workshop and the International conference on E-voting and identity.
- Benaloh J, Ryan PYA, Schneider S, Teague V. A Vote of Confidence?. IEEE Security and Privacy. 2017, Vol. 15, Issue 3.
- Conway A, Blom M, Naish L, Teague V. An analysis of New South Wales electronic vote counting. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2017, Vol. Part F126226.
- Roohi L, Teague V. Privacy-preserving queries over secret-shared graph-structured data. Proceedings - 16th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications, 11th IEEE International Conference on Big Data Science and Engineering and 14th IEEE International Conference on Embedded Software and Systems. 2017.
- Bernhard M, Benaloh J, Alex Halderman J, Rivest RL, Ryan PYA, Stark PB, Teague V, Vora PL, Wallach DS. Public evidence from secret ballots. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Verlag. 2017, Vol. 10615 LNCS.
- Akinyokun N, Teague V. Security and privacy implications of NFC-enabled contactless payment systems. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2017, Vol. Part F130521.
- Culnane C, Eldridge M, Essex A, Teague V. Trust implications of DDoS protection in online elections. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Verlag. 2017, Vol. 10615 LNCS.
- Gibson JP, Krimmer R, Teague V, Pomares J. A review of E-voting: the past, present and future. Annales des Telecommunications/Annals of Telecommunications. Presses Polytechniques et Universitaires Romandes. 2016, Vol. 71, Issue 7-8.
- Blom M, Teague V, Stuckey P, Tidhar R. Efficient Computation of Exact IRV Margins. 22nd European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI). IOS Press. 2016, Vol. 285. Editors: Kaminka GA, Fox M, Bouquet P, Hullermeier E, Dignum V, Dignum F, Vanharmelen F.
- Culnane C, Teague V. Strategies for Voter-Initiated Election Audits. 7th International Conference on Decision and Game Theory for Security (GameSec). Springer Verlag. 2016, Vol. 9996. Editors: Zhu Q, Alpcan T, Panaousis E, Tambe M, Casey W.
- Ryan PYA, Schneider S, Teague V. End-to-End Verifiability in Voting Systems, from Theory to Practice. IEEE SECURITY & PRIVACY. IEEE Computer Society. 2015, Vol. 13, Issue 3.
- Kulyk O, Teague V, Volkamer M. Extending Helios Towards Private Eligibility Verifiability. 5th International Conference on E-Voting and Identity. Springer Verlag. 2015, Vol. 9269. Editors: Haenni R, Koenig RE, Wikstrom D.
- Halderman JA, Teague V. The New South Wales iVote System: Security Failures and Verification Flaws in a Live Online Election. 5th International Conference on E-Voting and Identity. Springer Verlag. 2015, Vol. 9269. Editors: Haenni R, Koenig RE, Wikstrom D.
- Culnane C, Ryan PYA, Schneider S, Teague V. vVote: A Verifiable Voting System. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON INFORMATION AND SYSTEM SECURITY. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2015, Vol. 18, Issue 1.
- Heather J, Schneider S, Teague V. Cryptographic protocols with everyday objects. Formal Aspects of Computing: applicable formal methods. Springer London. 2014, Vol. 26, Issue 1.
- Schneide S, Teague V, Culnane C, Heather J. Special section on vote-ID 2013. Journal of Information Security and Applications. 2014, Vol. 19, Issue 2.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile