Dr Nic Geard
- Infectious Disease Modelling (influenza, pertussis, Ebola, demography, individual based models)
I studied for a Bachelor of Science at the University of Queensland (UQ), graduating with first class Honours in computer science in 2001. Continuing at UQ, I gained a PhD in complex systems simulation in 2006, supervised by Prof Janet Wiles. During my PhD I used computational simulation models to investigate the role that developmental constraints play in orienting evolutionary processes. Between 2007 and 2010 I was employed as a researcher with the Science and Engineering of Natural Systems Group at the University of Southampton, working with Prof Seth Bullock to develop simulation models of dynamic processes on social networks.
In July 2011, I joined the Melbourne School of Population and Global Health, where I am part of the Modelling and Simulation group in the Centre for Epidemiology and Biostatistics, where I am supported by an Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Researcher Fellowship. I am a CI on a National Health & Medical Research Council Centre of Research Excellence on Policy-Relevant Infectious Disease Simulation and Mathematical Modelling.
I will take up a position as Senior Lecturer with the Department of Computing and Information Systems at The University of Melbourne in October 2016.
- Campbell P, McIntyre P, Geard N. Influence of Population Demography and Immunization History on the Impact of an Antenatal Pertussis Program. CLINICAL INFECTIOUS DISEASES. University Chicago Press. 2016, Vol. 63, Issue suppl 4.
- Moss R, Hickson RI, McCaw J, Hort K, Black J, Madden JR, Tran NH, McBryde E, Geard N. Model-Informed Risk Assessment and Decision Making for an Emerging Infectious Disease in the Asia-Pacific Region. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES. Public Library of Science. 2016, Vol. 10, Issue 9.
- Rolls D, Geard N, Warr D, Nathan P, Robins G, Pattison P, McCaw J, McVernon J. Social encounter profiles of greater Melbourne residents, by location - a telephone survey. BMC INFECTIOUS DISEASES. Biomed Central. 2015, Vol. 15.
- Geard N, Glass K, McCaw J, McBryde E, Korb KB, Keeling MJ. The effects of demographic change on disease transmission and vaccine impact in a household structured population. EPIDEMICS. Elsevier BV. 2015, Vol. 13.
- Dorin A, Geard N. The Practice of Agent-Based Model Visualization. Artificial Life. MIT Press. 2014, Vol. 20, Issue 2.
- Korb KB, Geard N, Dorin A. A Bayesian Approach to the Validation of Agent-Based Models. Ontology, Epistemology, and Teleology for Modeling and Simulation. Springer. 2013. Editors: Tolk A.
- Bryden J, Funk S, Geard N, Bullock S, Jansen VAA. Stability in flux: community structure in dynamic networks. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. The Royal Society Publishing. 2011, Vol. 8, Issue 60.
- Geard N, Bullock S. Competition and the dynamics of group affiliation. Advances in Complex Systems. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2010, Vol. 13, Issue 4.
- Bullock S, Geard N. Spatial embedding as an enabling constraint: Introduction to a special issue of complexity on the topic of "Spatial Organization". Complexity. Jossey-Bass. 2010, Vol. 16, Issue 2.
- Geard N, Bullock S. Homophily and competition: Toward a model of group affiliation. Conference Proceedings - 6th Conference of the European Social Simulation Association, ESSA 2009. 2009.
- Jacyno M, Bullock S, Payne T, Geard N, Luck M. Autonomic resource management through self-organising agent communities. 2nd IEEE International Conference on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems. IEEE Computer Society. 2008. Editors: Brueckner S, Robertson P, Bellur U.
- Geard N, Bullock S. Group formation and social evolution: A computational model. Artificial Life XI: Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on the Simulation and Synthesis of Living Systems, ALIFE 2008. 2008.
- Geard N, Wiles J. LinMap: Visualizing complexity gradients in evolutionary landscapes. Artificial Life. MIT Press. 2008, Vol. 14, Issue 3.
- Geard N, Wiles J. A gene network model for developing cell lineages. Artificial Life. MIT Press. 2005, Vol. 11, Issue 3.
- Geard N, Wiles J. Structure and dynamics of a gene network model incorporating small RNAs. 2003 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, CEC 2003 - Proceedings. 2003, Vol. 1.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile