Dr Nic Geard
- Infectious Disease Modelling (influenza, pertussis, Ebola, demography, individual based models)
I studied for a Bachelor of Science at the University of Queensland (UQ), graduating with first class Honours in computer science in 2001. Continuing at UQ, I gained a PhD in complex systems simulation in 2006, supervised by Prof Janet Wiles. During my PhD I used computational simulation models to investigate the role that developmental constraints play in orienting evolutionary processes. Between 2007 and 2010 I was employed as a researcher with the Science and Engineering of Natural Systems Group at the University of Southampton, working with Prof Seth Bullock to develop simulation models of dynamic processes on social networks.
In July 2011, I joined the Melbourne School of Population and Global Health, where I am part of the Modelling and Simulation group in the Centre for Epidemiology and Biostatistics, where I am supported by an Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Researcher Fellowship. I am a CI on a National Health & Medical Research Council Centre of Research Excellence on Policy-Relevant Infectious Disease Simulation and Mathematical Modelling.
I will take up a position as Senior Lecturer with the Department of Computing and Information Systems at The University of Melbourne in October 2016.
- Black AJ, Geard N, McCaw J, McVernon J, Ross JV. Characterising pandemic severity and transmissibility from data collected during first few hundred studies. Epidemics. Elsevier BV. 2016.
- Campbell P, McVernon J, McIntyre P, Geard N. Influence of Population Demography and Immunization History on the Impact of an Antenatal Pertussis Program. CLINICAL INFECTIOUS DISEASES. University Chicago Press. 2016, Vol. 63, Issue suppl 4.
- Moss R, Hickson RI, McVernon J, McCaw J, Hort K, Black J, Madden JR, Tran NH, McBryde E, Geard N. Model-Informed Risk Assessment and Decision Making for an Emerging Infectious Disease in the Asia-Pacific Region. PLOS NEGLECTED TROPICAL DISEASES. Public Library of Science. 2016, Vol. 10, Issue 9.
- Rolls D, Geard N, Warr D, Nathan P, Robins G, Pattison P, McCaw J, McVernon J. Social encounter profiles of greater Melbourne residents, by location - a telephone survey. BMC INFECTIOUS DISEASES. Biomed Central. 2015, Vol. 15.
- Geard N, Glass K, McCaw J, McBryde E, Korb KB, Keeling MJ, McVernon J. The effects of demographic change on disease transmission and vaccine impact in a household structured population. EPIDEMICS. Elsevier BV. 2015, Vol. 13.
- Ragonnet R, Trauer J, Denholm J, Geard N, Hellard ME, McBryde E. Vaccination Programs for Endemic Infections: Modelling Real versus Apparent Impacts of Vaccine and Infection Characteristics. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2015, Vol. 5.
- Dorin A, Geard N. The Practice of Agent-Based Model Visualization. Artificial Life. MIT Press. 2014, Vol. 20, Issue 2.
- Korb KB, Geard N, Dorin A. A Bayesian Approach to the Validation of Agent-Based Models. Ontology, Epistemology, and Teleology for Modeling and Simulation. Springer. 2013. Editors: Tolk A.
- Jacyno M, Bullock S, Geard N, Payne TR, Luck M. Self-organizing agent communities for autonomic resource management. Adaptive Behavior. Sage Publications. 2013, Vol. 21, Issue 1.
- Geard N, McCaw J, Dorin A, Korb KB, McVernon J. Synthetic Population Dynamics: A Model of Household Demography. Journal of Artifical Societies and Social Simulation. The SimSoc Consortium . 2013, Vol. 16, Issue 1.
- Geard N, Bullock S, Lohaus R, Azevedo RBR, Wiles J. Developmental Motifs Reveal Complex Structure in Cell Lineages. Complexity. Jossey-Bass. 2011, Vol. 16, Issue 4.
- Bryden J, Funk S, Geard N, Bullock S, Jansen VAA. Stability in flux: community structure in dynamic networks. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. The Royal Society Publishing. 2011, Vol. 8, Issue 60.
- Geard N, Bullock S. Competition and the dynamics of group affiliation. Advances in Complex Systems. World Scientific Publishing Co. 2010, Vol. 13, Issue 4.
- Bullock S, Geard N. Spatial embedding as an enabling constraint: Introduction to a special issue of complexity on the topic of "Spatial Organization". Complexity. Jossey-Bass. 2010, Vol. 16, Issue 2.
- Geard N, Willadsen K. Dynamical Approaches to Modeling Developmental Gene Regulatory Networks. Birth Defects Research Part C: Embryo Today: Reviews. Jossey-Bass. 2009, Vol. 87, Issue 2.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile