Dr Marcus Carter
- Computer-Human Interaction
Marcus Carter is a Research Fellow in the Microsoft Research Centre for Social Natural User Interfaces, exploring the potential for technologies like the Xbox Kinect and Eye-Gaze for around the table computing. He has prior and ongoing projects involving EVE Online, DayZ, Warhammer 40,000 and Candy Crush Saga. See also, http://marcuscarter.com/ https://unimelb.academia.edu/MarcusCarter
- Mavoa J, Carter M, Gibbs M. Beyond addiction: Positive and negative parent perceptions of minecraft play. CHI PLAY 2017 - Proceedings of the Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3116595.3116638
- Mavoa J, Carter M, Gibbs M. Children and Minecraft: A survey of children’s digital play. New Media and Society. Sage Publications. 2017.
- Mavoa J, Gibbs M, Carter M. Constructing the young child media user in Australia: a discourse analysis of Facebook comments. JOURNAL OF CHILDREN AND MEDIA. Routledge. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1080/17482798.2017.1308400
- Carter M, Allison F. Fear, loss and meaningful play: Permadeath in DayZ. JOURNAL OF GAMING AND VIRTUAL WORLDS. Intellect. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1386/jgvw.9.2.143_1
- Webber S, Carter M, Smith M, Vetere F. Interactive technology and human-animal encounters at the zoo. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HUMAN-COMPUTER STUDIES. Academic Press - Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 98. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2016.05.003
- Webber S, Carter M, Sherwen S, Smith M, Joukhadar Z, Vetere F. Kinecting with Orangutans: Zoo Visitors' Empathetic Responses to Animals? Use of Interactive Technology. 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI). Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3025729
- Velloso E, Carter M, Newn J, Esteves A, Clarke C, Gellersen H. Motion Correlation: Selecting Objects by Matching Their Movement. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON COMPUTER-HUMAN INTERACTION. Association for Computing Machinery. 2017, Vol. 24, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1145/3064937
- Gibbs M, Carter M, Nansen B. Those LED-Lit Water-Kooled Multi-Screen Streamline Battlestations. AoIR Selected Papers of Internet Research. Association of Internet Researchers. 2017.
- Gibbs M, Carter M, Witkowski E. Understanding eSports in Australia: Players, Fans, Recruits. AoIR: Selected Papers of Internet Research. Association of Internet Researchers. 2017.
- Allison F, Carter M, Gibbs M. A History of Voice Interaction in Games. 1st International Joint Conference of DiGRA and FDG. 2016.
- Carter M, Bjork S. Cheating in Candy Crush Saga. Social, Casual and Mobile Games: The Changing Gaming Landscape. Bloomsbury Academic. 2016. Editors: Leaver T, Willson M.
- Newn J, Velloso E, Carter M, Vetere F. Dynamically Exposing Gaze to Foster Playful Experiences in Multiplayer Gameplay. CHI Play 2016 Designing for Emotional Complexity in Games Workshop. 2016.
- Carter M, Bergstrom K, Webber N, Milik O. EVE is Real: How conceptions of the 'real' affect and reflect an online game community. Well Played Journal. 2016, Vol. 5, Issue 2.
- Bergstrom K, Carter M. EVE online for the uninitiated. Internet Spaceships are Serious Business: An EVE Online Reader. 2016.
- Newn J, Velloso E, Carter M, Vetere F. Exploring the Effects of Gaze Awareness on Multiplayer Gameplay. 3rd ACM SIGCHI Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play (CHI PLAY). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016. DOI: 10.1145/2968120.2987740
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile