Associate Professor Tony Wirth
- Algorithms (Algorithms for processing text; graph algorithms; streaming algorithms)
- Data Mining and Machine Learning
- Psychophysical Testing (Psychometric Function Estimation)
Dr Tony Wirth is Associate Professor and ARC Future Fellow in the Department of Computing and Information Systems at The University of Melbourne.
He completed a BSc(Hons) and MSc at the University of Melbourne; supported by a Gordon Wu Fellowship, he completed an MA and PhD at Princeton University. Wirth has previously been the Seminar and Excellence Coordinator in the Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering. Wirth has a significant publication record in, amongst others, approximation and graph algorithms, bioinformatics, and data mining. He has refereed for numerous international journals and served on several conference program committees. Wirth's teaching has been commended both at the department and school level.
- Liao K, Petri M, Moffat A, Wirth A. Effective Construction of Relative Lempel-Ziv Dictionaries. 25th International Conference on World Wide Web (WWW). 2016.
- McClintock J, Wirth A. Efficient Parallel Algorithms for k-Center Clustering. 45th International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP). IEEE Computer Society. 2016, Vol. 2016-September.
- Chakrabarti A, Wirth A. Incidence Geometries and the Pass Complexity of Semi-Streaming Set Cover. 27th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA). SIAM Publications. 2016. Editors: Krauthgamer R.
- Charikar M, Naamad Y, Wirth A. On approximating target set selection. Leibniz International Proceedings in Informatics, LIPIcs. 2016, Vol. 60.
- Petri M, Moffat A, Nagesh PC, Wirth A. Access Time Tradeoffs in Archive Compression. 11th Asia Information Retrieval Societies Conference (AIRS). Springer Verlag. 2015, Vol. 9460. Editors: Zuccon G, Geva S, Joho H, Scholer F, Sun A, Zhang P.
- Ahn KJ, Cormode G, Guha S, McGregor A, Wirth A. Correlation clustering in data streams. 32nd International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML). 2015, Vol. 3.
- Tong J, Wirth A, Zobel J. Blended dictionaries for reduced-memory lempel-ziv corpus compression. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2014, Vol. 27-28-November-2014.
- Tong J, Wirth A, Zobel J. Compact auxiliary dictionaries for incremental compression of large repositories. CIKM 2014 - Proceedings of the 2014 ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management. 2014.
- Petri M, Moffat A, Wirth A. Graph representations and applications of citation networks. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2014, Vol. 27-28-November-2014.
- Gog S, Moffat A, Culpepper JS, Turpin A, Wirth A. Large-Scale Pattern Search Using Reduced-Space On-Disk Suffix Arrays. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering. IEEE Computer Society. 2014, Vol. 26, Issue 8.
- Lim C, Moffat A, Wirth A. Lazy and Eager Approaches for the Set Cover Problem. Proceedings of the Thirty-Seventh Australasian Computer Science Conference. Australian Computer Society. 2014, Vol. 147.
- Tong J, Wirth A, Zobel J. Principled Dictionary Pruning for Low-Memory Corpus Compression. 37th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR). ACM Press. 2014.
- Molfetas A, Wirth A, Zobel J. Scalability in Recursively Stored Delta Compressed Collections of Files. Proceedings of the Second Australasian Web Conference. ACSA Press. 2014, Vol. 155.
- Molfetas A, Wirth A, Zobel J. Storing a Collection of Differentially Compressed Files Recursively. 2014 IEEE International Congress on Big Data (BigData Congress). IEEE Press. 2014.
- Molfetas A, Wirth A, Zobel J. Using Inter-file Similarity to Improve Intra-file Compression. 2014 IEEE International Congress on Big Data (BigData Congress). IEEE Press. 2014.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile