Professor Frank Vetere
- Human Computer Interaction
- Interaction design
- Social Computing
- Usability Engineering
Professor Frank Vetere is a teacher and researcher in the Department of Computing and Information Systems at the University of Melbourne. He the director of the Microsoft Research Centre for Social Natural User Interfaces (Social-NUI) and leads the Interaction Design Laboratory.
Frank’s expertise is in Human-Computer Interactions (HCI) and Social Computing. He has particular interests in design-thinking and in technologies for ageing well. His research aims to generate knowledge about the use and design of information and communication technologies for human wellbeing and social benefit. He applies human-oriented design techniques, interpretations of ethnographies, and evaluation of technologies (field-based studies and lab-based experiments) to create knowledge about the design and use of ICTs.
Frank serves on the editorial board of the journals Interacting with Computers (IwC), and the International Journal of Human Computer Studies (IJHCS) and is an expert member of the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP TC13). At the University of Melbourne, he is a member of the executive committee on the Melbourne Networked Society Institute (MNSI), member of the steering committee on the Hallmark Ageing Research Initiative (HARI), member of the University Appointments and Promotions Committee (UAPC) and Fellow of the Wade Institute of Entrepreneurship, Ormond College. Frank is a general chair of CHISIG, Australia's leading body for HCI research.
Prior to joining the University of Melbourne in 2001, Frank worked as a usability engineer and before that as a secondary school teacher. He was deputy Head of Department (2011-2013). He has been a keynote speaker as several conferences. He has received various awards in recognition of his teaching and in 2011 was awarded the CHISIG Medal for outstanding service to and promotion of Human-Computer Interaction in Australia.
- Webber S, Carter M, Smith M, Vetere F. Interactive technology and human-animal encounters at the zoo. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HUMAN-COMPUTER STUDIES. Academic Press - Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 98.
- Ploderer B, Fong J, Withana A, Klaic M, Nair S, Crocher V, Vetere F, Nanayakkara S. ArmSleeve: a Patient Monitoring System to Support Occupational Therapists in Stroke Rehabilitation. 11th ACM SIGCHI Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016.
- Ferdous HS, Ploderer B, Davis H, Vetere F, O'Hara K. Commensality and the Social Use of Technology during Family Mealtime. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON COMPUTER-HUMAN INTERACTION. Association for Computing Machinery. 2016, Vol. 23, Issue 6.
- Aggarwal D, Ploderer B, Vetere F, Bradford M, Hoang T. Doctor, Can You See My Squats? Understanding Bodily Communication in Video Consultations for Physiotherapy. 11th ACM SIGCHI Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016.
- Newn J, Velloso E, Carter M, Vetere F. Dynamically Exposing Gaze to Foster Playful Experiences in Multiplayer Gameplay. CHI Play 2016 Designing for Emotional Complexity in Games Workshop. 2016.
- Newn J, Velloso E, Carter M, Vetere F. Exploring the Effects of Gaze Awareness on Multiplayer Gameplay. 3rd ACM SIGCHI Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play (CHI PLAY). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016.
- Ploderer B, Fong J, Klaic M, Nair S, Vetere F, CofrÉ Lizama LE, Galea M. How Therapists Use Visualizations of Upper Limb Movement Information From Stroke Patients: A Qualitative Study With Simulated Information. JMIR Rehabilitation and Assistive Technologies. 2016, Vol. 3, Issue 2.
- Heffernan KJ, Vetere F, Britton LM, Semaan B, Schiphorst T. Insertable digital devices: Voluntarily under the skin. DIS 2016 Companion - Proceedings of the 2016 ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems: Fuse. 2016.
- Heffernan K, Vetere F, Chang S. Insertables: I've got IT under my skin. Interactions. ACM Press. 2016, Vol. 23, Issue 1.
- Newn J, Velloso E, Carter M, Vetere F. Multimodal Segmentation on a Large Interactive Tabletop: Extending Interaction on Horizontal Surfaces with Gaze. ACM International Conference on Interactive Surfaces and Spaces (ISS). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016.
- Waycott J, Vetere F, Pedell S, Morgans A, Ozanne E, Kulik L. Not For Me: Older Adults Choosing Not to Participate in a Social Isolation Intervention. 34th Annual CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI4GOOD). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016.
- Hoang T, Reinoso M, Vetere F, Tanin E. Onebody: Remote Posture Guidance System using First Person View in Virtual Environment. 9th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (NordiCHI). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016, Vol. 23-27-October-2016.
- Carter M, Velloso E, Downs J, Sellen A, O'Hara K, Vetere F. PathSync: Multi-User Gestural Interaction with Touchless Rhythmic Path Mimicry. 34th Annual CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI4GOOD). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016.
- Awori K, Vetere F, Smith M. Sessions with Grandma: Fostering Indigenous Knowledge through Video Mediated Communication. 1st African Conference for Human Computer Interaction (AfriCHI). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016, Vol. 21-25-November-2016. Editors: Awori K, Bidwell NJ.
- Ferdous HS, Ploderer B, Davis H, Vetere F, O'Hara K, Farr-Wharton G, Comber R. TableTalk: Integrating personal devices and content for commensal experiences at the family dinner table. UbiComp 2016 - Proceedings of the 2016 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing. 2016.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile