Dr Suelette Dreyfus
- Computer Security and Hacking; Digital Privacy and Anonymity
- Digital whistleblowing
- Health Informatics
- Social Media - Language Education Tools
Dr Suelette Dreyfus is a Lecturer in the Department of Computing and Information Systems at The University of Melbourne. She did her Bachelor's Degree at Columbia University (Barnard College) in New York and her Ph.D. at Monash University. She is a frequent public commentator in the media on IT-related topics. Her main research areas are in: Cyber Security and Hacking Digital Privacy and Anonymity The impact of technology on integrity systems (whistleblowing) Social Media as a Tool for Language Learning in Schools She wrote the first mainstream book about computer hacking in Australia, which was subsequently made into two different films and translated into seven other languages. Rolling Stone Magazine described the work as ‘entirely original’, and the book has become a cult classic. For her research work on the impact of digital technologies on whistleblowing, she has been invited to appear before several parliamentary committees at a state and federal level in Australia. She has co-authored a number of international reports and papers in this area. She works with civil society not-for-profit NGOs internationally which seek to improve the whistleblower protection structures in their society, both in law and via use of technology. She has integrated these two research areas by co-developing an experimental program to teach journalists how to protect their whistleblower sources by improving data security and anonymity. Her e-education research work is in the use of social media for education. She initiated an innovative cross disciplinary project using social media to teach Chinese to Australian primary school children in Australia, and English to Chinese students in China. Prior to earning her PhD and entering academia, she trained and worked as a staff journalist on a major daily newspaper in Australia. Suelette is particularly enthusiastic about encouraging and supporting women in IT.
- Lederman R, Smith S, Dreyfus S, Alzougool B. Tailoring patient information to encourage patient engagement. International Journal of Networking and Virtual Organisations. 2016, Vol. 16, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1504/IJNVO.2016.076487
- Slaughter Y, Hajek J, Smith W, Chang S, Dreyfus S. Languages Education through Virtual conferencing: How to set up or participate in languages programs using virtual conferencing - A Manual for principals and teachers. . 2015.
- Lederman R, Kurnia S, Peng F, Dreyfus S. Tick a box, any box: A case study on the unintended consequences of system misuse in a hospital emergency department. Journal of Information Technology Teaching Cases. 2015, Vol. 5, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1057/jittc.2015.13
- Bosua R, Milton S, Dreyfus S, Lederman R. Going public: Researching external whistleblowing in a new media age. International Handbook on Whistleblowing Research. Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd. 2014. Editors: Brown AJ, Lewis D, Moberly RE, Vandekerckhove W.
- Lederman R, Dreyfus S. Managing Health Information Delivery Processes for Better Medical Decision Making. DSS 2.0 - Supporting Decision Making with New Technologies. IOS Press. 2014, Vol. 261. DOI: 10.3233/978-1-61499-399-5-329
- Miceli MP, Dreyfus S, Near JP. Outsider 'whistleblowers': Conceptualizing and distinguishing 'bell-ringing' behavior. International Handbook on Whistleblowing Research. Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd. 2014. Editors: Brown AJ, Lewis D, Moberly RE, Vandekerckhove W.
- Brown AJ, Vandekerckhove W, Dreyfus S. The relationship between transparency, whistleblowing, and public trust. Research Handbook on Transparency. Edward Elgar Publishing. 2014. Editors: Alai P, Vaughn RG. DOI: 10.4337/9781781007945.00008
- Lederman R, Dreyfus S, Matchan JE, Knott J, Milton S. Electronic error-reporting systems: A case study into the impact on nurse reporting of medical errors. Nursing Outlook. Mosby. 2013, Vol. 61, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1016/j.outlook.2013.04.008
- Peng F, Kurnia S, Lederman R, Dreyfus S, Knott J. Exploring the Impact of Information System Introduction: The Case of an Australian Hospital Emergency Department. 46th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), 2013. IEEE Explore. 2013, Vol. 2013. DOI: 10.1109/HICSS.2013.223
- Dreyfus S, Lederman R, Brown AJ, Milton S, Miceli MP, Bosua R, Clausen A, Schanzle J. Human Sources: The Journalist and the Whistle-blower in the Digital Era. Journalism Research and Investigation in a Digital World. Oxford University Press. 2013. Editors: Tanner S, Richardson N.
- Smith S, Lederman R, Monagle P, Alzougool BM, Naish L, Dreyfus S. Individually tailored client-focused reports for ubiquitous devices: An experimental analysis. 23rd Australasian Conference on Information Systems. Australasian Conference on Information Systems ACIS. 2012.
- Peng F, Kurnia S, Lederman R, Dreyfus S. Information Systems and Hospital Work: A structuralist investigation. 16TH PACIFIC ASIA CONFERENCE ON INFORMATION SYSTEMS. Association for Information Systems. 2012.
- Kee R, Knott J, Dreyfus S, Lederman R, Milton S, Joe K. One hundred tasks an hour: An observational study of emergency department consultant activities. Emergency Medicine Australasia. Blackwell Synergy. 2012, Vol. 24, Issue 3.
- Kee R, Knott J, Dreyfus S, Lederman R, Milton S, Joe K. One hundred tasks an hour: An observational study of emergency department consultant activities. Emergency Medicine Australasia. Blackwell Synergy. 2012, Vol. 24, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1111/j.1742-6723.2012.01540.x
- Dreyfus S, Lederman R, Bosua R, Milton S. Can we Handle the Truth? Whistleblowing to the Media in the Digital Era. Global Media Journal: Australian Edition. Global Media Journal: Australian Edition. 2011, Vol. 5, Issue 1:2011.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile