- Human-Computer Interaction
- Media Architecture
- Public Displays
- Urban Informatics
Dr. Niels Wouters is an Academic Specialist with the Microsoft Research Centre for Social Natural User Interfaces at the University of Melbourne. He studied architectural design, computer science and human-computer interaction in Belgium, Portugal, Austria and Australia, and holds a PhD in architectural engineering from University of Leuven. Niels investigates the design and functional qualities of media facades and urban screens, in order to create novel and compelling interactions between the urban realm, architecture and citizens. He currently advises Science Gallery Melbourne on the creative and functional requirements of their digital media fit-out, including an interactive media facade, and immersive exhibition spaces and learning spaces.
- Wouters N, Keignaert K, Huyghe J, Vande Moere A. Revealing the Architectural Quality of Media Architecture. 3rd Media Architecture Biennale Conference (MAB). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016. DOI: 10.1145/2946803.2946808
- Coenen J, Wouters N, Vande Moere A. Synchronized wayfinding on multiple consecutively situated public displays. PerDis 2016 - Proceedings of the 5th ACM International Symposium on Pervasive Displays. 2016. DOI: 10.1145/2914920.2929906
- Wouters N, Downs J, Harrop M, Cox T, Araujo Oliveira E, Webber S, Vetere F, Vande Moere A. Uncovering the Honeypot Effect: How Audiences Engage with Public Interactive Systems. 11th ACM SIGCHI Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016. DOI: 10.1145/2901790.2901796
- Claes S, Wouters N, Slegers K, Moere AV. Controlling In-the-Wild Evaluation Studies of Public Displays. 33rd Annual CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2015, Vol. 2015-April. DOI: 10.1145/2702123.2702353
- Webber S, Harrop M, Downs J, Cox T, Wouters N, Vande Moere A. Everybody Dance Now: Tensions between participation and performance in interactive public installations. OzCHI 2015: Being Human - Conference Proceedings. 2015. DOI: 10.1145/2838739.2838801
- Wouters N, Claes S, Moere AV. Investigating the Role of Situated Public Displays and Hyperlocal Content on Place-Making. INTERACTION DESIGN AND ARCHITECTURES. 2015, Vol. 25, Issue 25.
- Veenstra M, Wouters N, Kanis M, Brandenburg S, Raa KT, Wigger B, Vande Moere A. Should public displays be interactive? Evaluating the impact of interactivity on audience engagement. PerDis 2015 - Proceedings: 4th ACM International Symposium on Pervasive Displays. 2015. DOI: 10.1145/2757710.2757727
- Huyghe J, Geerts D, Wouters N, Moere AV. LocaLudo: Card-based workshop for interactive architecture. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. 2014. DOI: 10.1145/2559206.2581348
- Wouters N, Huyghe J, Vande Moere A. StreetTalk: Participative design of situated public displays for urban neighborhood interaction. Proceedings of the NordiCHI 2014: The 8th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Fun, Fast, Foundational. 2014. DOI: 10.1145/2639189.2641211
- Wouters N, Huyghe J, Vande Moere A. OpenWindow: Citizen-controlled content on public displays. PerDis 2013 - Proceedings: 2nd ACM International Symposium on Pervasive Displays 2013. 2013. DOI: 10.1145/2491568.2491595
- Moere AV, Wouters N. The role of context in media architecture. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2012. DOI: 10.1145/2307798.2307810