Dr Chris Culnane
- Applied Cryptography
- Cyber Security
- Verifiable Electronic Voting (Design and Implementation)
A key focus of my research is to develop theoretical security mechanisms into fully functional implementations of security systems. My recent research has been focussed on end-to-end verifiable voting schemes. Prior to starting at the University of Melbourne, I worked as a Research Fellow at the University of Surrey on the Trustworthy Voting Systems Project (TVS). The TVS Project resulted in the University of Surrey being contracted to design, develop and deploy an end-to-end verifiable election for Victorian Electoral Commission, as part of their vVote project. I was the technical lead, for the University of Surrey, on the vVote project, and led the design and implementation of the system. The system consisted of more than 25,000 lines of code and was successfully deployed as the Electronically Assisted Voting scheme in the Victorian state election, 2014. As part of the project we implemented a high scalable threshold web bulletin board, which involved the design and development of a new distributed consensus protocol that provides end-of-day byzantine fault tolerance.
My current works focusses on the verifiable postal voting. I am also interested in applying the techniques and analyses from verifiable voting in the wider field of privacy.
- Culnane C, Eldridge M, Essex A, Teague V. Trust implications of DDoS protection in online elections. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Verlag. 2017, Vol. 10615 LNCS. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-68687-5_8
- Culnane C, Teague V. Strategies for Voter-Initiated Election Audits. 7th International Conference on Decision and Game Theory for Security (GameSec). Springer Verlag. 2016, Vol. 9996. Editors: Zhu Q, Alpcan T, Panaousis E, Tambe M, Casey W. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-47413-7_14
- Burton C, Culnane C, Schneider S. vVote: Verifiable Electronic Voting in Practice. IEEE SECURITY & PRIVACY. IEEE Computer Society. 2016, Vol. 14, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1109/MSP.2016.69
- Culnane C, Ryan PYA, Schneider S, Teague V. vVote: A Verifiable Voting System. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON INFORMATION AND SYSTEM SECURITY. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2015, Vol. 18, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1145/2746338
- Culnane C, Schneider S. A Peered Bulletin Board for Robust Use in Verifiable Voting Systems. 2014 IEEE 27TH COMPUTER SECURITY FOUNDATIONS SYMPOSIUM (CSF). IEEE Computer Society. 2014, Vol. 2014-January. DOI: 10.1109/CSF.2014.20
- Srinivasan S, Culnane C, Heather J, Schneider S, Xia Z. Countering Ballot Stuffing and Incorporating Eligibility Verifiability in Helios. 8th International Conference on Network and System Security (NSS). Springer Verlag. 2014, Vol. 8792. Editors: Au MH, Carminati B, Kuo CCJ.
- Schneide S, Teague V, Culnane C, Heather J. Special section on vote-ID 2013. Journal of Information Security and Applications. 2014, Vol. 19, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1016/j.jisa.2014.06.002
- Heather J, Culnane C, Schneider S, Srinivasan S, Xia Z. Solving the discrete logarithm problem for packing candidate preferences. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Verlag. 2013, Vol. 8128 LNCS. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-40588-4_15
- Burton C, Culnane C, Heather J, Peacock T, Ryan PYA, Schneider S, Srinivasan S, Teague V, Wen R, Xia Z. A supervised verifiable voting protocol for the Victorian electoral commission. Lecture Notes in Informatics (LNI), Proceedings - Series of the Gesellschaft fur Informatik (GI). 2012, Vol. P-205.
- Schneider S, Srinivasan S, Culnane C, Heather J, Xia Z. Prêt á Voter with write-ins. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Verlag. 2012, Vol. 7187 LNCS. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-32747-6_11
- Schneider S, Llewellyn M, Culnane C, Heather J, Srinivasan S, Xia Z. Focus group views on Prêt à Voter 1.0. Proc. of 2011 Int. Workshop on Requirements Engineering for Electronic Voting Systems, REVOTE 2011 - In Conjunction with the 19th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference 2011, RE 2011. 2011. DOI: 10.1109/REVOTE.2011.6045916
- Briffa JA, Culnane C, Treharne H. Imperceptible printer dot watermarking for binary documents. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering. SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering. 2010, Vol. 7723. DOI: 10.1117/12.854708
- Xia Z, Culnane C, Heather J, Jonker H, Ryan PYA, Schneider S, Srinivasan S. Versatile Prêt à voter: Handling multiple election methods with a unified interface. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Verlag. 2010, Vol. 6498 LNCS. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-17401-8_8
- Culnane C, Treharne H, Ho ATS. Authenticating binary text documents using a localising OMAC wtermark robust to printing and sanning. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Verlag. 2008, Vol. 5041 LNCS. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-540-92238-4_14
- Culnane C, Treharne H, Ho ATS. Improving mutli-set formatted binary text watermarking using continuous line embedding. Second International Conference on Innovative Computing, Information and Control, ICICIC 2007. 2008. DOI: 10.1109/ICICIC.2007.349
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile