Professor Vassilis Kostakos
- Human Computer Interaction
- Mobile and Social Computing
- Ubiquitous Computing
Vassilis is a Professor of Human Computer Interaction at the School of Computing and Information Systems at the University of Melbourne. He holds a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Bath, UK. He has previously held appointments at the University of Oulu, University of Madeira, and Carnegie Mellon University. He was a Marie Curie Fellow, and a Fellow of the Academy of Finland Distinguished Professor Program. He was the founding director of the Center for Ubiquitous Computing at the University of Oulu in 2016. He is a founding editor of the Proceedings of the ACM in Interactive, Mobile, Wearable, and Ubiquitous Technologies. His research interests include Human Computer Interaction, Ubiquitous Computing, and Social Computing. His research aims to develop novel interactive technologies that better understand and better respond to humans.
- Liu Y, Mezei J, Kostakos V, Li H. Applying configurational analysis to IS behavioural research: a methodological alternative for modelling combinatorial complexities. INFORMATION SYSTEMS JOURNAL. Blackwell Science. 2017, Vol. 27, Issue 1.
- Berenguer A, Goncalves J, Hosio S, Ferreira D, Anagnostopoulos T, Kostakos V. Are Smartphones Ubiquitous? An in-depth survey of smartphone adoption by seniors. IEEE CONSUMER ELECTRONICS MAGAZINE. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 6, Issue 1.
- Georgiev GV, Yamada K, Taura T, Kostakos V, Pouke M, Yung ST, Ojala T. Augmenting Creative Design Thinking using Networks of Concepts. 19th IEEE Virtual Reality Conference (VR). IEEE Computer Society. 2017.
- Kostakos V, Musolesi M. Avoiding pitfalls when using machine learning in HCI studies. Interactions. ACM Press. 2017, Vol. 24, Issue 4.
- Sasao T, Konomi S, Kostakos V, Kuribayashi K, Goncalves J. Community Reminder: Participatory contextual reminder environments for local communities. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HUMAN-COMPUTER STUDIES. Academic Press - Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 102.
- Liu Y, Ferreira D, Goncalves J, Hosio S, Pandab P, Kostakos V. Donating Context Data to Science: The Effects of Social Signals and Perceptions on Action-Taking. INTERACTING WITH COMPUTERS. Elsevier BV. 2017, Vol. 29, Issue 2.
- Goncalves J, Hosio S, Kostakos V. Eliciting Structured Knowledge from Situated Crowd Markets. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON INTERNET TECHNOLOGY. Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2017, Vol. 17, Issue 2.
- Anagnostopoulos T, Garcia JC, Goncalves J, Ferreira D, Hosio S, Kostakos V. Environmental exposure assessment using indoor/outdoor detection on smartphones. PERSONAL AND UBIQUITOUS COMPUTING. Springer-Verlag London. 2017, Vol. 21, Issue 4.
- Hosio S, Goncalves J, Van Berkel N, Klakegg S, Konomi S, Kostakos V. Facilitating Collocated Crowdsourcing on Situated Displays. Human-Computer Interaction. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. 2017.
- Kostakos V, Rogstadius J, Ferreira D, Hosio S, Goncalves J. Human Sensors. Participatory Sensing, Opinions and Collective Awareness. Springer International Publishing. 2017. Editors: Loreto V, Haklay M, Hotho A, Servedio VCP, Stumme G, Theunis J, Tria F.
- Ferreira D, Kostakos V, Schweizer I. Human Sensors on the Move. Participatory Sensing, Opinions and Collective Awareness. Springer International Publishing. 2017. Editors: Loreto V, Haklay M, Hotho A, Servedio VCP, Stumme G, Theunis J, Tria F.
- Flores H, Su X, Kostakos V, Ding AY, Nurmi P, Tarkoma S, Hui P, Li Y. Large-scale Offloading in the Internet of Things. 2017 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON PERVASIVE COMPUTING AND COMMUNICATIONS WORKSHOPS (PERCOM WORKSHOPS). IEEE. 2017.
- Flores H, Su X, Kostakos V, Riekki J, Lagerspetz E, Tarkoma S, Hui P, Li Y, Manner J. Modeling Mobile Code Acceleration in the Cloud. Proceedings - International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems. 2017.
- Gautama S, Atzmueller M, Kostakos V, Gillis D, Hosio S. Observing Human Activity Through Sensing. Participatory Sensing, Opinions and Collective Awareness. Springer International Publishing. 2017. Editors: Loreto V, Haklay M, Hotho A, Servedio VCP, Stumme G, Theunis J, Tria F.
- Visuri A, Sarsenbayeva Z, Van Berkel N, Goncalves J, Rawassizadeh R, Kostakos V, Ferreira D. Quantifying Sources and Types of Smartwatch Usage Sessions. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2017.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile