Professor Justin Zobel
- Algorithms and data structures
- Bioinformatics and health informatics
- Research methods
- Search engines and information retrieval
Professor Justin Zobel is a Redmond Barry Distinguished Professor in the School of Computing and Information Systems and Pro Vice-Chancellor (Graduate and International Research). He received his PhD from the University of Melbourne and, prior to returning to Melbourne in 2008, worked at RMIT and NICTA. Prof Zobel is an associate editor of the International Journal of Information Retrieval and in 2008-9 was President of the CORE association of Australasian Departments & Schools of Computer Science. In the research community, he is best known for his role in the development of algorithms for efficient text retrieval. He is the author of "Writing for Computer Science", third edition, and co-author of "How to Write a Better Thesis", third edition and "How to Write a First Minor Thesis". His interests include search, bioinformatics, fundamental data structures, and research methods.
- Bouadjenek M, Verspoor C, Zobel J. Automated detection of records in biological sequence databases that are inconsistent with the literature. JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL INFORMATICS. Academic Press. 2017, Vol. 71.
- Chen Q, Zobel J, Verspoor C. Benchmarks for measurement of duplicate detection methods in nucleotide databases.. Database (Oxford). Oxford University Press. 2017.
- Graham Y, Baldwin T, Moffat A, Zobel J. Can machine translation systems be evaluated by the crowd alone. NATURAL LANGUAGE ENGINEERING. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 23, Issue 1.
- Chen Q, Zobel J, Verspoor C. Duplicates, redundancies and inconsistencies in the primary nucleotide databases: a descriptive study. DATABASE-THE JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL DATABASES AND CURATION. Oxford University Press. 2017.
- Bouadjenek M, Verspoor C, Zobel J. Learning biological sequence types using the literature. International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, Proceedings. 2017, Vol. Part F131841.
- Bouadjenek M, Verspoor C, Zobel J. Literature consistency of bioinformatics sequence databases is effective for assessing record quality. DATABASE-THE JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL DATABASES AND CURATION. Oxford University Press. 2017, Vol. 2017, Issue 1.
- Fray KS, Morgan KJ, Wirth A, Zobel J. Practical adaptive search trees with performance bounds. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2017, Vol. Part F126226.
- Choi M, Zobel J, Verspoor C. A categorical analysis of coreference resolution errors in biomedical texts. JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL INFORMATICS. Academic Press. 2016, Vol. 60.
- Choi M, Liu H, Baumgartner W, Zobel J, Verspoor C. Coreference resolution improves extraction of Biological Expression Language statements from texts. DATABASE-THE JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL DATABASES AND CURATION. Oxford University Press. 2016, Vol. 2016.
- Chen Q, Wan Y, Lei Y, Zobel J, Verspoor C. Evaluation of CD-HIT for constructing non-redundant databases. 2016 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON BIOINFORMATICS AND BIOMEDICINE (BIBM). IEEE Computer Society. 2016. Editors: Tian T, Jiang Q, Liu Y, Burrage K, Song J, Wang Y, Hu X, Morishita S, Zhu Q, Wang G.
- McDonell R, Zobel J, Billerbeck B. How informative is a term? Dispersion as a measure of term specificity. SIGIR 2016 - Proceedings of the 39th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval. 2016.
- Goeuriot L, Jones GJF, Kelly L, Mueller H, Zobel J. Medical information retrieval: introduction to the special issue. INFORMATION RETRIEVAL. Kluwer Academic Publishers. 2016, Vol. 19, Issue 1-2.
- Chen Q, Zobel J, Zhang X, Verspoor C. Supervised Learning for Detection of Duplicates in Genomic Sequence Databases. PLOS ONE. Public Library of Science. 2016, Vol. 11, Issue 8.
- Wick RR, Schultz M, Zobel J, Holt K. Bandage: Interactive visualization of de novo genome assemblies. Bioinformatics. Oxford University Press. 2015, Vol. 31, Issue 20.
- Chen Q, Zobel J, Verspoor C. Evaluation of a machine learning duplicate detection method for bioinformatics databases. DTMBIO 2015 - Proceedings of the ACM 9th International Workshop on Data and Text Mining in Biomedical Informatics, co-located with CIKM 2015. 2015.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile