Associate Professor Steven Bird
- Language Technology; Linguistic Databases; Digital Archives (Natural Language Processing; Computational Linguistics; Language Documentation)
Steven Bird has moved to Charles Darwin University. He was formerly Associate Professor in Computing and Information Systems at the University of Melbourne. His research concerns linguistic data management through the full life cycle from collection and annotation to preservation and access. With colleagues and students, he has been developing scalable methods for working with under-resourced languages in indigenous communities, most recently with the Bininj people in West Arnhem. His career began with a BSc and MSc in computer science at Melbourne University, followed by a PhD in computational linguistics from Edinburgh University, completed in 1990. Since then he has worked at the Universities of Edinburgh, Pennsylvania, and Melbourne, and conducted fieldwork in Australia, Cameroon, Papua New Guinea, and Brazil.
- Adams O, Makarucha A, Neubig G, Bird S, Cohn T. Cross-lingualword embeddings for low-resource language modeling. 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, EACL 2017 - Proceedings of Conference. 2017, Vol. 1.
- Simons G, Bird S. Expressing language resource metadata as Linked Data: The case of the Open Language Archives Community. Development of Linguistic Linked Open Data Resources for Collaborative Data-Intensive Research in the Language Sciences. MIT Press. 2017. Editors: Pareja-Lora A, Blume M, Lust B.
- Duong L, Kanayama H, Ma T, Bird S, Cohn T. Multilingual training of crosslingualword embeddings. 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, EACL 2017 - Proceedings of Conference. 2017, Vol. 1.
- Bird S, Heinz K. Phonology. Handbook of Computational Linguistics. 2017.
- Cox R, Bird S, Meyer B. Teaching computer science in the victorian certificate of education: A pilot study. Proceedings of the Conference on Integrating Technology into Computer Science Education, ITiCSE. 2017, Vol. Part F126972. DOI: 10.1145/3017680.3017735
- Duong L, Anastasopoulos A, Chiang D, Bird S, Cohn T. An attentional model for speech translation without transcription. 15th Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies (NAACL-HLT). 2016.
- Adams O, Neubig G, Cohn T, Bird S, Do QT, Nakamura S. Learning a Lexicon and Translation Model from Phoneme Lattices. 2016 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP). Association for Computational Linguistics. 2016.
- Adams O, Nettbig G, Cohn T, Bird S. Learning a Translation Model from Word Lattices. 17TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF THE INTERNATIONAL SPEECH COMMUNICATION ASSOCIATION (INTERSPEECH 2016), VOLS 1-5. 2016, Vol. 08-12-September-2016. DOI: 10.21437/Interspeech.2016-862
- Duong L, Kanayama H, Ma T, Bird S, Cohn T. Learning Crosslingual Word Embeddings without Bilingual Corpora. 2016 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP). Association for Computational Linguistics. 2016.
- Duong L, Cohn T, Bird S, Cook C. A neural network model for low-resource universal dependency parsing. Conference Proceedings - EMNLP 2015: Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing. 2015.
- Burford C, Bird S, Baldwin T. Collective document classification with implicit inter-document semantic relationships. Joint Conference on Lexical and Computational Semantics (*SEM). 2015.
- Duong L, Cohn T, Bird S, Cook P. Cross-lingual Transfer for Unsupervised Dependency Parsing Without Parallel Data. 19th Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning (CoNLL). The Association for Computational Linguistics. 2015.
- Cohn T, Adams O, Neubig G, Bird S. Inducing Bilingual Lexicons from Small Quantities of Sentence-Aligned Phonemic Transcriptions. 12th International Workshop on Spoken Language Translation (IWSLT). 2015. Editors: Federico M, StÜker S, Niehues J.
- Duong L, Cohn T, Bird S, Cook C. Low resource dependency parsing: Cross-lingual parameter sharing in a neural network parser. ACL-IJCNLP 2015 - 53rd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics and the 7th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing of the Asian Federation of Natural Language Processing, Proceedings of the Conference. 2015, Vol. 2.
- Bird S. Aikuma. . 2014.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile