- Sensor Networks, Mobile Computing, Location Privacy, Spatial Algorithms, Spatial Data Mining
I am a Professor in the School of Computing and Information Systems at the University of Melbourne. I lead the Data & Society Program of the Melbourne School of Engineering. From 2013 to 2015, I was Deputy Head of the department. My overall research goal is to integrate spatial information into pervasive computing systems that anticipate, adapt and respond to the needs of users, and provide services based on the user's location and context. My research focuses on spatial algorithms in pervasive computing environments, efficient algorithms for moving object databases, fast search techniques for spatial data mining and databases, effective methods for safeguarding data privacy, information dissemination algorithms in sensor networks, algorithms for navigation and map matching, as well as robust methods that can cope with uncertainty, especially in the context of mobile computing. I serve on the editorial board of the journal GeoInformatica and the Journal of Location-based Services. Before joining the University of Melbourne in 2004, I was an associate graduate faculty researcher in the Department of Spatial Information Science and Engineering, University of Maine. I completed my PhD in the Department of Informatics at the University of Hamburg, Germany, in 2002.
- Maiti S, Winter S, Kulik L. A conceptualization of vehicle platoons and platoon operations. TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH PART C-EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 80.
- Kotagiri R, Xie H, Kulik L, Karunasekera S, Tanin E, Zhang R, Bin Khunayn E. SMARTS: Scalable Microscopic Adaptive Road Traffic Simulator. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGY. ACM Press. 2017, Vol. 8, Issue 2.
- Li H, Kulik L, Kotagiri R. Automatic Generation and Validation of Road Maps from GPS Trajectory Data Sets. 25th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016, Vol. 24-28-October-2016.
- Kowsar Y, Moshtaghi M, Velloso E, Kulik L, Leckie C. Detecting unseen anomalies in weight training exercises. 28th Australian Conference on Computer-Human Interaction (OzCHI). 2016.
- Sultana N, Hashem T, Kulik L. Group meetup in the presence of obstacles. INFORMATION SYSTEMS. Pergamon. 2016, Vol. 61.
- Mustafizur AKM, Khan R, Kulik L, Tanin E. Location Privacy for Group Meetups. 24TH ACM SIGSPATIAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ADVANCES IN GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS (ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS 2016). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016. Editors: Ali M, Newsam S, Ravada S, Renz M, Trajcevski G.
- Quattrone A, Kulik L, Tanin E. Mining City-Wide Encounters in Real-Time. 24TH ACM SIGSPATIAL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ADVANCES IN GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS (ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS 2016). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016. Editors: Ali M, Newsam S, Ravada S, Renz M, Trajcevski G.
- Waycott J, Vetere F, Pedell S, Morgans A, Ozanne E, Kulik L. Not For Me: Older Adults Choosing Not to Participate in a Social Isolation Intervention. 34th Annual CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI4GOOD). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016.
- Hossain A, Quattrone A, Tanin E, Kulik L. On the Effectiveness of Removing Location Information from Trajectory Data for Preserving Location Privacy. 9th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on Computational Transportation Science (IWCTS). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016.
- Goel P, Kulik L, Kotagiri R. Privacy-Aware Dynamic Ride Sharing. ACM Transactions on Spatial Algorithms and Systems. 2016, Vol. 2, Issue 1.
- Bhattacharya T, Kulik L, Bailey J. Real time autonomous point of interest mining through ambient smartphone sensing. 13th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Computing, Networking and Services (MOBIQUITOUS). 2016, Vol. 28-November-2016.
- Liang Z, Ploderer B, Liu W, Nagata Y, Bailey J, Kulik L, Li Y. SleepExplorer: a visualization tool to make sense of correlations between personal sleep data and contextual factors. PERSONAL AND UBIQUITOUS COMPUTING. Springer-Verlag London. 2016, Vol. 20, Issue 6.
- Ali ME, Tanin E, Scheuermann P, Nutanong S, Kulik L. Spatial Consensus Queries in a Collaborative Environment. ACM Transactions on Spatial Algorithms and Systems. 2016, Vol. 2, Issue 1.
- Hashem T, Hashem T, Ali ME, Kulik L, Tanin E. Trip Planning Queries for Subgroups in Spatial Databases. 27th Australasian Database Conference (ADC). Springer Verlag. 2016, Vol. 9877. Editors: Cheema MA, Zhang W, Chang L.
- Nguyen U, Karunasekera S, Kulik L, Tanin E, Zhang R, Zhang H, Xie H, Kotagiri R. A Randomized Path Routing Algorithm for Decentralized Route Allocation in Transportation Networks. 8th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on Computational Transportation Science (IWCTS). 2015.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile