Professor Frank Vetere
- Human Computer Interaction
- Interaction design
- Social Computing
- Usability Engineering
Professor Frank Vetere is a teacher and researcher in the Department of Computing and Information Systems at the University of Melbourne. He the director of the Microsoft Research Centre for Social Natural User Interfaces (Social-NUI) and leads the Interaction Design Laboratory.
Frank’s expertise is in Human-Computer Interactions (HCI) and Social Computing. He has particular interests in design-thinking and in technologies for ageing well. His research aims to generate knowledge about the use and design of information and communication technologies for human wellbeing and social benefit. He applies human-oriented design techniques, interpretations of ethnographies, and evaluation of technologies (field-based studies and lab-based experiments) to create knowledge about the design and use of ICTs.
Frank serves on the editorial board of the journals Interacting with Computers (IwC), and the International Journal of Human Computer Studies (IJHCS) and is an expert member of the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP TC13). At the University of Melbourne, he is a member of the executive committee on the Melbourne Networked Society Institute (MNSI), member of the steering committee on the Hallmark Ageing Research Initiative (HARI), member of the University Appointments and Promotions Committee (UAPC) and Fellow of the Wade Institute of Entrepreneurship, Ormond College. Frank is a general chair of CHISIG, Australia's leading body for HCI research.
Prior to joining the University of Melbourne in 2001, Frank worked as a usability engineer and before that as a secondary school teacher. He was deputy Head of Department (2011-2013). He has been a keynote speaker as several conferences. He has received various awards in recognition of his teaching and in 2011 was awarded the CHISIG Medal for outstanding service to and promotion of Human-Computer Interaction in Australia.
- Kelly, D.; Hoang, TN.; Reinoso, M.; Joukhadar, Z.; Clements, T.; Vetere, F. Augmented reality learning environment for physiotherapy education. Physical Therapy Reviews. TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD. 2018, Vol. 23, Issue 1, pp. 21-28. DOI: 10.1080/10833196.2018.1447256
- Hoang, TN.; Ferdous, HS.; Vetere, F.; Reinoso, M. Body as a Canvas: An exploration on the role of the body as display of digital information. DIS 2018 - Proceedings of the 2018 Designing Interactive Systems Conference. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2018, pp. 253-264. DOI: 10.1145/3196709.3196724
- Baker, S.; Warburton, J.; Waycott, J.; Batchelor, F.; Thuong, H.; Dow, B.; Ozanne, E.; Vetere, F. Combatting social isolation and increasing social participation of older adults through the use of technology: A systematic review of existing evidence. Australasian Journal on Ageing. WILEY. 2018, Vol. 37, Issue 3, pp. 184-193. DOI: 10.1111/ajag.12572
- Singh, R.; Miller, T.; Newn, J.; Sonenberg, L.; Velloso, E.; Vetere, F. Combining planning with gaze for online human intention recognition: Socially interactive agents track. Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, AAMAS. IFAAMAS International Foundation for Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems. 2018, Vol. 1, pp. 488-496.
- Carrasco, R.; Waycott, J.; Baker, S.; Vetere, F. Designing the lost self: Older adults' self-representations in online games. DIS 2018 - Proceedings of the 2018 Designing Interactive Systems Conference. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2018, pp. 441-452. DOI: 10.1145/3196709.3196773
- Paay, J.; Pedell, S.; Sterling, L.; Vetere, F.; Howard, S. Interdisciplinary design teams translating ethnographic field data into design models: Communicating ambiguous concepts using quality goals. . 2018, pp. 226-260. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-5969-6.ch007
- Newn, J.; Allison, F.; Velloso, E.; Vetere, F. Looks can be deceiving: Using gaze visualisation to predict and mislead opponents In strategic gameplay. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2018, Vol. 2018-April. DOI: 10.1145/3173574.3173835
- Davis, H.; Ferdous, HS.; Vetere, F. 'Table manners': Children's use of mobile technologies in family-friendly restaurants. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2017, Vol. Part F127655, pp. 969-978. DOI: 10.1145/3027063.3053353
- Hoang, T.; Reinoso, M.; Joukhadar, Z.; Vetere, F.; Kelly, D. Augmented Studio: Projection Mapping on Moving Body for Physiotherapy Education. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2017, Vol. 2017-May, pp. 1419-1430. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3025860
- Ferdous, HS.; Vetere, F.; Davis, H.; Ploderer, B.; O'hara, K.; Comber, R.; Farr-wharton, G. Celebratory Technology to Orchestrate the Sharing of Devices and Stories during Family Mealtimes. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2017, Vol. 2017-May, pp. 6960-6972. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3025492
- Abdelrahman, Y.; Velloso, E.; Dingler, T.; Schmidt, A.; Vetere, F. Cognitive Heat: Exploring the Usage of Thermal Imaging to Unobtrusively Estimate Cognitive Load. Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies. ACM. 2017, Vol. 1, Issue 3, pp. 33:1-33:20. DOI: 10.1145/3130898
- Muller, FF.; Gibbs, MR.; Vetere, F.; Edge, D. Designing for Bodily Interplay in Social Exertion Games. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2017, Vol. 24, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1145/3064938
- Newn, J.; Velloso, E.; Allison, F.; Abdelrahman, Y.; Vetere, F. Evaluating Real-Time Gaze Representations to Infer Intentions in Competitive Turn-Based Strategy Games. CHI PLAY 2017 - Proceedings of the Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2017, pp. 541-552. DOI: 10.1145/3116595.3116624
- Webber, S.; Carter, M.; Smith, W.; Vetere, F. Interactive technology and human-animal encounters at the zoo. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies. ACADEMIC PRESS LTD- ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2017, Vol. 98, pp. 150-168. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2016.05.003
- Webber, S.; Carter, M.; Sherwen, S.; Smith, W.; Joukhadar, Z.; Vetere, F. Kinecting with Orangutans: Zoo Visitors' Empathetic Responses to Animals' Use of Interactive Technology. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2017, Vol. 2017-May, pp. 6075-6088. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3025729
- Heffernan, KJ.; Vetere, F.; Chang, S. Military Insertables Lessons from Civilian Use. IEEE Technology and Society Magazine. IEEE-INST ELECTRICAL ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS INC. 2017, Vol. 36, Issue 1, pp. 58-61. DOI: 10.1109/MTS.2017.2654290
- Nansen, B.; Carroll, P.; Gibbs, L.; Macdougall, C.; Vetere, F. Mobilising children: The role of mobile communications in child mobility. . Routledge. 2017, pp. 101-116. DOI: 10.4324/9781315571560
- Carrasco, R.; Baker, S.; Waycott, J.; Vetere, F. Negotiating stereotypes of older adults through avatars. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2017, pp. 218-227. DOI: 10.1145/3152771.3152795
- Aggarwal, D.; Zhang, W.; Thuong, H.; Ploderer, B.; Vetere, F.; Bradford, M. SoPhy: A Wearable Technology for Lower Limb Assessment in Video Consultations of Physiotherapy. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2017, Vol. 2017-May, pp. 3916-3928. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3025489
- Aggarwal, D.; Thuong, H.; Zhang, W.; Ploderer, B.; Vetere, F.; Bradford, M. SoPhy: Smart Socks for Video Consultations of Physiotherapy. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). SPRINGER INTERNATIONAL PUBLISHING AG. 2017, Vol. 10516, pp. 424-428. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-68059-0_44
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile