Dr George Buchanan
Assoc. Prof. George Buchanan is a world-leading researcher in investigating how to put the right people with the right information. He has created ground-breaking research on web browsing on mobile phones, introduced new theories to information seeking behaviours, and designed novel tools to help in digital reading. He joined Melbourne at the end of 2016 from City University of London, where he led the Centre for Human-Computer Interaction. Before his research career, he spent a decade leading a boutique desktop-publishing software house.
- Mckay, D.; Buchanan, G. Don’t forget to be the way you are: How to create a meaningful and sustainable research identity. Extended Abstracts of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI '18. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2018, Vol. 2018-April. DOI: 10.1145/3170427.3170664
- Alkhatib, S.; Waycott, J.; Buchanan, G.; Bosua, R. Privacy and the Internet of Things (IoT) Monitoring Solutions for Older Adults: A Review. Studies in health technology and informatics. 2018, Vol. 252, pp. 8-14.
- Buchanan, G.; Stevenson, D. Welcome from the conference chairs. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2018, pp. ii-.
- Tewell, J.; Bird, J.; Buchanan, GR. Heat-Nav: Using Temperature Changes as Navigational Cues. Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI '17. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2017, Vol. 2017-May, pp. 1131-1135. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3025965
- Pradana, GA.; Buchanan, G. Imparting otsukaresama: Designing technology to support interpersonal emotion regulation. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction and User Experience in Indonesia - CHIuXiD '17. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2017, Vol. Part F129310, pp. 34-43. DOI: 10.1145/3077343.3077347
- Buchanan, G.; Mckay, D.; Velloso, E.; Moffat, A.; Turpin, A.; Scholer, F. Only forward? toward understanding human visual behaviour when examining search results. Proceedings of the 29th Australian Conference on Computer-Human Interaction - OZCHI '17. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2017, pp. 497-502. DOI: 10.1145/3152771.3156165
- Chueke, J.; Buchanan, G.; Wilson, S.; Anunciação, L. Self-Previewing gestures and the gesture- and-Effect model: Experimentation with responsive visual feedback for new and unlearned interactions. HCI 2017. BCS - The Chartered Institute for IT. 2017, Vol. 2017-July. DOI: 10.14236/ewic/HCI2017.34
- Mckay, D.; Buchanan, G. Slide over here: The various adjacencies of co-borrowed ebooks. Proceedings of the 2017 Conference on Conference Human Information Interaction and Retrieval - CHIIR '17. ACM Press. 2017, pp. 385-388. DOI: 10.1145/3020165.3022159
- Buchanan, G.; Mckay, D. Something is lost, something is found: Book use at the library shelves. Proceedings of the 2017 Conference on Conference Human Information Interaction and Retrieval - CHIIR '17. ACM Press. 2017, pp. 37-46. DOI: 10.1145/3020165.3020187
- Tewell, J.; Bird, J.; Buchanan, GR. The Heat is On: A Temperature Display for Conveying Affective Feedback. Proceedings of the 2017 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI '17. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2017, Vol. 2017-May, pp. 1756-1767. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3025844
- Buchanan, G.; Mckay, D. The Lowest Form of Flattery: Characterising Text Re-Use and Plagiarism Patterns in a Digital Library Corpus. 2017 ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL). IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, pp. 1-10. DOI: 10.1109/JCDL.2017.7991570
- Macfarlane, A.; Buchanan, G.; Al-wabil, A.; Andrienko, G.; Andrienko, N. Visual analysis of dyslexia on search. Proceedings of the 2017 Conference on Conference Human Information Interaction and Retrieval - CHIIR '17. ACM Press. 2017, pp. 285-288. DOI: 10.1145/3020165.3022134
- Bussone, A.; Stumpf, S.; Buchanan, G. "It Feels Like I'm Managing Myself": HIV plus People Tracking Their Personal Health Information. Proceedings of the 9th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction - NordiCHI '16. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2016, Vol. 23-27-October-2016. DOI: 10.1145/2971485.2971542
- Golub, K.; Soergel, D.; Buchanan, G.; Tudhope, D.; Lykke, M.; Hiom, D. A framework for evaluating automatic indexing or classification in the context of retrieval. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. WILEY-BLACKWELL. 2016, Vol. 67, Issue 1, pp. 3-16. DOI: 10.1002/asi.23600
- Buchanan, G.; Mckay, D. But What's Here is Mine: Materialities of Physical Personal Workspaces. Proceedings of the 28th Australian Conference on Computer-Human Interaction - OzCHI '16. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2016. DOI: 10.1145/3010915.3010946
- Alnuwaiser, W.; Buchanan, G. Semiotic perception of signs in web interfaces on mobile devices. Proceedings of the 30th International BCS Human Computer Interaction Conference, HCI 2016. ACM Press. 2016, Vol. 2016-July. DOI: 10.14236/ewic/HCI2016.10
- Loizides, F.; Buchanan, G.; Mavri, K. Theory and practice in visual interfaces for semi-structured document discovery and selection. Information Services and Use. 2016, Vol. 35, Issue 4, pp. 259-271. DOI: 10.3233/ISU-150783
- Mckay, D.; Buchanan, G. You Can Check It Out But It Will Never Leave: Characterising Ebook Borrowing Patterns. Proceedings of the 2016 ACM on Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval - CHIIR '16. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2016, pp. 203-212. DOI: 10.1145/2854946.2854970
- Owen, T.; Pearson, J.; Thimbleby, H.; Buchanan, G. Con cap: Designing to empower individual reflection on chronic conditions using mobile apps. Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services - MobileHCI '15. ACM Press. 2015, pp. 105-114. DOI: 10.1145/2785830.2785881
- Day, J.; Buchanan, G.; Makri, S. Introducing the RSDiary app for the collection of resilience strategies. Proceedings of the European Conference on Cognitive Ergonomics 2015 - ECCE '15. ACM. 2015, Vol. 01-03-Jul-2015. DOI: 10.1145/2788412.2788447
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile