Professor Graeme Shanks
- Information Systems Management (Data Quality, Business Analytics)
Graeme Shanks is a Professorial Fellow in the School of Computing and Information Systems in the Melbourne School of Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
Prof Shanks completed his PhD in information systems at Monash University in 1997. He was previously Associate Dean (Research) in the Faculty of Information Technology at Monash University. Prior to becoming an academic, he spent several years working as a programmer/analyst and project leader in several large Australian organisations. He has published the outcomes of his research in more than 200 refereed papers in journals including MIS Quarterly, Journal of Information Technology, Information Systems Journal, Information & Management, Journal of the AIS, Electronic Commerce Research, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Information Systems, Behaviour and Information Technology, Communications of the AIS, Communications of the ACM, and Requirements Engineering. Graeme was a member of the Australian Research Council College of Experts (2004-2005). He is a senior editor of the Journal of Information Technology and a member of the editorial boards of the Journal of Database Management and the Pacific Asia Journal of the Association for Information Systems.
- management and impact of information systems
- business analytics
- enterprise architecture
- data quality and conceptual modeling
- Someh, I.; Shanks, G.; Davern, M. Reconceptualizing synergy to explain the value of business analytics systems. Journal of Information Technology. SAGE Publications. 2019, Vol. Forthcoming, pp. 026839621881621-026839621881621. DOI: 10.1177/0268396218816210
- Shanks, G.; Gloet, M.; Someh, IA.; Frampton, K.; Tamm, T. Achieving benefits with enterprise architecture. The Journal of Strategic Information Systems. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2018, Vol. 27, Issue 2, pp. 139-156. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsis.2018.03.001
- Shanks, G.; Bekmamedova, N. Case study research in information systems. . CHANDOS PUBL. 2018, pp. 193-208. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-08-102220-7.00007-8
- Naseer, H.; Maynard, SB.; Ahmad, A.; Shanks, G. Cybersecurity risk management using analytics: A dynamic capabilities approach. International Conference on Information Systems 2018, ICIS 2018. AISel. 2018.
- Someh, I.; Wixom, B.; Songhori, MJ.; Shanks, G. Emergence of data and non-data team networks: An agent-based model. International Conference on Information Systems 2018, ICIS 2018. 2018.
- Cullen, S.; Shanks, G.; Davern, M.; Wilcocks, L. A Framework for Relationships in Outsourcing: Contract Management Archetypes. . HICSS. 2017, pp. 5380-5389.
- Galliers, RD.; Newell, S.; Shanks, G.; Topi, H. Datification and its human, organizational and societal effects: The strategic opportunities and challenges of algorithmic decision-making. The Journal of Strategic Information Systems. Elsevier BV. 2017, Vol. 26, Issue 3, pp. 185-190. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsis.2017.08.002
- Asadi Someh, I.; Wixom, B.; Davern, MICHAEL.; Shanks, GRAEME. Enablers and Mechanisms: Practices for Achieving Synergy with Business Analytics. . HICSS. 2017, pp. 5358-5367.
- Webb, J.; Ahmad, A.; Maynard, SB.; Baskerville, R.; Shanks, G. Organizational Security Learning from Incident Response. ICIS 2017: Transforming Society with Digital Innovation. Association of Information Systems. 2017.
- Naseer, H.; Shanks, G.; Ahmad, A.; Maynard, S. TOWARDS AN ANALYTICS-DRIVEN INFORMATION SECURITY RISK MANAGEMENT: A CONTINGENT RESOURCE BASED PERSPECTIVE. Proceedings of the 25th European Conference on Information Systems, ECIS 2017. Association for Information Systems. 2017, pp. 2645-2655.
- Price, R.; Shanks, G. A semiotic information quality framework: Development and comparative analysis. . Springer International Publishing. 2016, pp. 219-250. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-29272-4_7
- Someh, IA.; Shanks, G. Emergence of Business Value from Complementary Interactions between Informational and Transactional IT systems. Australasian Journal of Information Systems. UNIV CANBERRA, FAC INFORMATION SCIENCES & ENGINEERING. 2016, Vol. 20. DOI: 10.3127/ajis.v20i0.1122
- Naseer, H.; Shanks, G.; Ahmad, A.; Maynard, SB. Enhancing Information Security Risk Management with Security Analytics: A Dynamic Capabilities Perspective. . University of Wollongong. 2016.
- Asadi Someh, I.; Breidbach, C.; Davern, M.; Shanks, G. Ethical Implications of Big Data Analytics. 24th European Conference on Information Systems, ECIS 2016. AISel. 2016, pp. 1-10.
- Webb, J.; Ahmad, A.; Maynard, S.; Shanks, G. Foundations for an Intelligence-driven Information Security Risk-management System. Journal of Information Technology Theory and Application. Association of Information Systems. 2016, Vol. 17, Issue 3, pp. 25-51.
- Asadi Someh, I.; Frampton, K.; Davern, M.; Shanks, G. The Role of Synergy in using Enterprise Architecture for Business Transformation. 24th European Conference on Information Systems, ECIS 2016. AISel. 2016, pp. 1-10.
- Cosic, R.; Shanks, G.; Maynard, SB. A business analytics capability framework. Australasian Journal of Information Systems. Australasian Association for Information Systems (AAIS). 2015, Vol. 19, pp. S5-S19.
- Ahmad, A.; Maynard, SB.; Shanks, G. A case analysis of information systems and security incident responses. International Journal of Information Management. ELSEVIER SCI LTD. 2015, Vol. 35, Issue 6, pp. 717-723. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2015.08.001
- Rivera, DS.; Shanks, G. A Dashboard to Support Management of Business Analytics Capabilities. Journal of Decision Systems. TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD. 2015, Vol. 24, Issue 1, pp. 73-86. DOI: 10.1080/12460125.2015.994335
- Ong, K-L.; Alahakhoon, D.; Shanks, G. Editorial for the Special Issue on Business Analytics Applications. Australasian Journal of Information Systems. UNIV CANBERRA, FAC INFORMATION SCIENCES & ENGINEERING. 2015, Vol. 19, pp. S1-S3.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile