Professor Shanika Karunasekera
- Distributed Computing (Intrusion detection, Anomaly detection, Distributed data mining, Data stream analysis)
- Mobile Computing (Routing protocols for mobile networks)
- P2P Networks (Decentralized aggregation protocols, Gossip-based aggregation)
- Sensor Networks (Enviromental Monitoring, Pollution monitoring)
- Social Network Analysis (Data stream analysis, Discussion and topic tracking on social media)
Shanika Karunasekera is a Professor in the School of Computing and Information Systems at Melbourne School of Engineering.
Shanika completed a BSc in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering at the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka with a First Class Honours in 1990. She was the recipient of the UNESCO Gold Medal for the Best Engineering Undergraduate at the University in 1990. She completed a PhD in Electrical Engineering at the University of Cambridge, UK in 1994. From 1995 to 2002 she worked for Lucent Technologies, Bell Labs Innovation, USA where she was a Distinguished Member of Technical Staff.
Shanika joined the Melbourne School of Engineering in 2003. Her primary disciplines of focus in teaching and research are Software Engineering and Distributed Computing. Since 2007 she has been the Discipline Leader for Software Engineering at the Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering. During her time at the University she has won many teaching awards including a National Carrick Citation in 2007, and Kelvin Medal and Excellence in teaching award from the Melbourne School of Engineering in 2006.
Shanika has extensive research interests in distributed computing, network intrusion detection, sensor networks, social network analysis and mining, mobile computing, software engineering and STEM education and peer to peer computing. Shanika has published widely in high ranking journals and conferences in her research discipline. Shanika has also established research collaborations with many industries and government bodies.
- Lim, KH.; Jayasekara, S.; Karunasekera, S.; Harwood, A.; Falzon, L.; Dunn, J.; Burgess, G. Rapid: Real-time analytics platform for interactive data mining. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). 2019, Vol. 11053 LNAI, pp. 649-653. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-10997-4_44
- Amarasinghe, G.; De Assuncao, MD.; Harwood, A.; Karunasekera, S. A data stream processing optimisation framework for edge computing applications. Proceedings - 2018 IEEE 21st International Symposium on Real-Time Computing, ISORC 2018. IEEE. 2018, pp. 91-98. DOI: 10.1109/ISORC.2018.00020
- Ghafoori, Z.; Erfani, SM.; Rajasegarar, S.; Bezdek, JC.; Karunasekera, S.; Leckie, C. Efficient Unsupervised Parameter Estimation for One-Class Support Vector Machines. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems. IEEE-INST ELECTRICAL ELECTRONICS ENGINEERS INC. 2018, Vol. 29, Issue 10, pp. 5057-5070. DOI: 10.1109/TNNLS.2017.2785792
- Mousavi, SM.; Harwood, A.; Karunasekera, S.; Maghrebi, M. Enhancing the quality of geometries of interest (GOIs) extracted from GPS trajectory data using spatio-temporal data aggregation and outlier detection. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing. SPRINGER HEIDELBERG. 2018, Vol. 9, Issue 1, pp. 173-186. DOI: 10.1007/s12652-016-0426-8
- Perera, K.; Chan, J.; Karunasekera, S. Feature selection for multiclass binary data. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Nature. 2018, Vol. 10939 LNAI, pp. 52-63. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-93040-4_5
- Bukhari, I.; Harwood, A.; Karunasekera, S. Handling churn in similarity based clustering overlays using weighted benefit. Parallel and Distributed Computing, Applications and Technologies, PDCAT Proceedings. IEEE. 2018, Vol. 2017-December, pp. 384-391. DOI: 10.1109/PDCAT.2017.00069
- Momeni, E.; Karunasekera, S.; Goyal, P.; Lerman, K. Modeling evolution of topics in large-scale temporal text corpora. 12th International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media, ICWSM 2018. unknown. 2018, pp. 656-659.
- Lim, KH.; Chan, J.; Leckie, C.; Karunasekera, S. Personalized trip recommendation for tourists based on user interests, points of interest visit durations and visit recency. Knowledge and Information Systems. SPRINGER LONDON LTD. 2018, Vol. 54, Issue 2, pp. 375-406. DOI: 10.1007/s10115-017-1056-y
- Karunaratne, P.; Moshtaghi, M.; Karunasekera, S.; Harwood, A. PSF+-Fast and improved electricity consumption prediction in campus environments. 2017 IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, SmartGridComm 2017. IEEE. 2018, Vol. 2018-January, pp. 241-246. DOI: 10.1109/SmartGridComm.2017.8340660
- Kannangara, S.; Tanin, E.; Harwood, A.; Karunasekera, S. Stepping stone graph for public movement analysis. GIS: Proceedings of the ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems. 2018, pp. 149-158. DOI: 10.1145/3274895.3274913
- Xie, H.; Kulik, L.; Tanin, E.; Zhang, R.; Ramamohanarao, K.; Karunasekera, S.; Qi, J. Studying transportation problems with the SMARTS simulator. GIS: Proceedings of the ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems. 2018, pp. 580-583. DOI: 10.1145/3274895.3274939
- Lim, KH.; Chan, J.; Karunasekera, S.; Leckie, C. Tour recommendation and trip planning using location-based social media: a survey. Knowledge and Information Systems. 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s10115-018-1297-4
- Jayasekara, S.; Karunasekera, S.; Harwood, A. A Multi-stage Hierarchical Window Model with Application to Real-Time Graph Analysis. Proceedings - International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems. IEEE COMPUTER SOC. 2017, pp. 2561-2564. DOI: 10.1109/ICDCS.2017.225
- Xie, H.; Karunasekera, S.; Kulik, L.; Tanin, E.; Zhang, R.; Ramamohanarao, K. A Simulation Study of Emergency Vehicle Prioritization in Intelligent Transportation Systems. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference. IEEE. 2017, Vol. 2017-June. DOI: 10.1109/VTCSpring.2017.8108282
- Lim, KH.; Karunasekera, S.; Harwood, A. ClusTop: A Clustering-based Topic Modelling Algorithm for Twitter using Word Networks. Proceedings - 2017 IEEE International Conference on Big Data, Big Data 2017. IEEE. 2017, Vol. 2018-January, pp. 2009-2018. DOI: 10.1109/BigData.2017.8258147
- Karunaratne, P.; Karunasekera, S.; Harwood, A. Distributed stream clustering using micro-clusters on Apache Storm. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing. ACADEMIC PRESS INC ELSEVIER SCIENCE. 2017, Vol. 108, pp. 74-84. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpdc.2016.06.004
- Islam, MT.; Karunasekera, S.; Buyya, R. dSpark: Deadline-based Resource Allocation for Big Data Applications in Apache Spark. Proceedings - 13th IEEE International Conference on eScience, eScience 2017. IEEE. 2017, pp. 89-98. DOI: 10.1109/eScience.2017.21
- Liu, X.; Harwood, A.; Karunasekera, S.; Rubinstein, B.; Buyya, R. E-Storm: Replication-based State Management in Distributed Stream Processing Systems. Proceedings of the International Conference on Parallel Processing. IEEE COMPUTER SOC. 2017, pp. 571-580. DOI: 10.1109/ICPP.2017.66
- Bin Khunayn, E.; Karunasekera, S.; Xie, H.; Ramamohanarao, K. Exploiting Data Dependency to Mitigate Stragglers in Distributed Spatial Simulation. GIS: Proceedings of the ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2017, Vol. 2017-November. DOI: 10.1145/3139958.3140018
- Aldwyish, A.; Tanin, E.; Karunasekera, S. Follow the best: Crowdsourced automated travel advice. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2017, pp. 272-281. DOI: 10.1145/3144457.3144475
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile