Associate Professor Martin Gibbs
- Sociology of Recreational and Domestic Uses of Information Technology
Dr Martin Gibbs is an Associate Professor in the School of Computing and Information Systems at The University of Melbourne.
- how people use a variety of interactive technologies (video games, community networks, mobile phones; etc) for convivial and sociable purposes in a variety of situations (intimate strong-tie relationships, local neighborhoods, work-based occupational communities, online computer games)
- social dynamics of digital and board games
- digital commemoration and the use of interactive technologies at end-of-life, including the future cemetery
- Van Ryn, L.; Meese, J.; Arnold, M.; Nansen, B.; Gibbs, M.; Kohn, T. Managing the consumption of death and digital media: The funeral director as market intermediary.. Death Studies. Informa UK Limited. 2019, pp. 1-10. DOI: 10.1080/07481187.2018.1522387
- Mavoa, J.; Carter, M.; Gibbs, M. Children and Minecraft: A survey of children's digital play. New Media and Society. SAGE PUBLICATIONS LTD. 2018, Vol. 20, Issue 9, pp. 3283-3303. DOI: 10.1177/1461444817745320
- Rogerson, MJ.; Gibbs, MR.; Smith, W. Cooperating to compete: The mutuality of cooperation and competition in boardgame play. Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI '18. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2018, Vol. 2018-April. DOI: 10.1145/3173574.3173767
- Allison, F.; Carter, M.; Gibbs, M.; Smith, W. Design patterns for voice interaction in games. The Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play Extended Abstracts - CHI PLAY '18. ACM Press. 2018, pp. 503-509. DOI: 10.1145/3242671.3242712
- Gibbs, M.; Carter, M.; Cumming, D.; Fordyce, R.; Witkowski, E. Esports Spectatorship in Australia. . Networked Society Institute. 2018, pp. 1-34.
- Rogerson, MJ.; Gibbs, M. Finding Time for Tabletop: Board Game Play and Parenting. Games and Culture. SAGE PUBLICATIONS INC. 2018, Vol. 13, Issue 3, pp. 280-300. DOI: 10.1177/1555412016656324
- Gibbs, M. Introduction to the Special Issue: Selected Articles from the 2017 International DIGRA Conference. Transactions of the Digital Games Research Association. The Digital Games Research Association. 2018, Vol. 4, Issue 2, pp. ix-xi.
- Kohn, T.; Arnold, M.; Gibbs, M.; Meese, J.; Nansen, B. The social life of the dead and the leisured life of the living online. . University Press of Colorado. 2018, pp. 227-245. DOI: 10.5876/9781607327295.c010
- Gould, H.; Kohn, T.; Gibbs, M. Uploading the ancestors: Experiments with digital Buddhist altars in contemporary Japan.. Death Studies. Informa UK Limited. 2018, pp. 1-10. DOI: 10.1080/07481187.2018.1544948
- Allison, F.; Carter, M.; Gibbs, M. Word Play. Games and Culture. SAGE Publications. 2018, pp. 155541201774630-155541201774630. DOI: 10.1177/1555412017746305
- Mavoa, J.; Carter, M.; Gibbs, M. Beyond Addiction: Positive and Negative Parent Perceptions of Minecraft Play. Proceedings of the Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play - CHI PLAY '17. Association for Computing Machinery. 2017, pp. 171-181. DOI: 10.1145/3116595.3116638
- Mavoa, J.; Gibbs, M.; Carter, M. Constructing the young child media user in Australia: a discourse analysis of Facebook comments. Journal of Children and Media. ROUTLEDGE JOURNALS, TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 3, pp. 330-346. DOI: 10.1080/17482798.2017.1308400
- Arnold, M.; Gibbs, M.; Kohn, T.; Meese, J.; Nansen, B. Death and digital media. . Routledge. 2017, pp. 1-178. DOI: 10.4324/9781315688749
- Nansen, B.; Van Der Nagel, E.; Kohn, T.; Arnold, M.; Gibbs, M. Death and the Internet: Consumer issues for planning and managing digital legacies (2nd edition). . Australian Communications Consumer Action Network. 2017, pp. 1-42.
- Muller, FF.; Gibbs, MR.; Vetere, F.; Edge, D. Designing for Bodily Interplay in Social Exertion Games. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2017, Vol. 24, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1145/3064938
- Rogerson, M.; Gibbs, M.; Smith, M. Exploring the Digital Hinterlands: Internet Practices Surrounding the Pursuit of "Offline" Hobbies. . Association of Internet Researchers. 2017.
- Van Ryn, L.; Kohn, T.; Nansen, B.; Arnold, M.; Gibbs, M. RESEARCHING DEATH ONLINE. . ROUTLEDGE. 2017, pp. 112-120.
- Nansen, B.; Kohn, T.; Arnold, M.; Van Ryn, L.; Gibbs, M. Social Media in the Funeral Industry: On the Digitization of Grief. Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media. ROUTLEDGE JOURNALS, TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD. 2017, Vol. 61, Issue 1, pp. 73-89. DOI: 10.1080/08838151.2016.1273925
- Gibbs, M.; Carter, M.; Nansen, B. Those LED-Lit Water-Kooled Multi-Screen Streamline Battlestations. . Association of Internet Researchers. 2017.
- Gibbs, M.; Carter, M.; Witkowski, E. Understanding eSports in Australia: Players, Fans, Recruits. . Association of Internet Researchers. 2017.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile