Dr Melissa Rogerson
- Human-Computer Interaction (Evaluation, games, boardgames, leisure, play)
Melissa Rogerson is an Associate Lecturer in the School of Computing and Information Systems. Her PhD research was on the hobbyist experience of modern boardgames. It examined what players value about boardgames and boardgame play, as well as how they use the game and its components during play. Her research has been published at Game Studies conferences, in Games and Culture, and at the CHI conference in Human-Computer Interaction. Melissa brings many years of industry experience, most recently in online services, information design, and usability evaluation, to teaching subjects in Human-Computer Interaction and Information Systems. Her current research examines hybrid boardgames which combine physical pieces with digital elements.
- Andrade, R.; Rogerson, MJ.; Waycott, J.; Baker, S.; Vetere, F. Playing Blind: Revealing the World of Garners with Visual Impairment. Proceedings of the 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI '19. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3290605.3300346
- Rogerson, MJ.; Gibbs, MR.; Smith, W. Cooperating to compete: The mutuality of cooperation and competition in boardgame play. Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI '18. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2018, Vol. 2018-April. DOI: 10.1145/3173574.3173767
- Rogerson, MJ.; Gibbs, M. Finding Time for Tabletop: Board Game Play and Parenting. Games and Culture. SAGE PUBLICATIONS INC. 2018, Vol. 13, Issue 3, pp. 280-300. DOI: 10.1177/1555412016656324
- Rogerson, M.; Gibbs, M.; Smith, M. Exploring the Digital Hinterlands: Internet Practices Surrounding the Pursuit of "Offline" Hobbies. . Association of Internet Researchers. 2017.
- Rogerson, MJ.; Gibbs, MR.; Smith, W. What can we learn from eye tracking boardgame play?. Extended Abstracts Publication of the Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play - CHI PLAY '17 Extended Abstracts. ACM Press. 2017, pp. 519-525. DOI: 10.1145/3130859.3131314
- Rogerson, MJ.; Gibbs, M.; Smith, W. "I love all the bits": The Materiality of Boardgames. Proceedings of the 2016 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI '16. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2016, pp. 3956-3969. DOI: 10.1145/2858036.2858433
- Rogerson, M.; Gibbs, M.; Smith, M. Digitising Boardgames: Issues and Tensions. DiGRA 2015 - Proceedings of the 2015 DiGRA International Conference: Diversity of Play. Digtal Games Research Association. 2015.