Dr Patrick Pang
- Consumer Health Informatics
- Digital Health
- Health Information Needs
- Healthcare IS
- Information Systems
Patrick Pang is an academic in the School of Computing and Information Systems at the Melbourne School of Engineering of the University of Melbourne, in where he works on teaching and research in IT and digital health, as well as improving the employability of students and managing internship programs.
His research areas cover consumer health informatics, health information needs, information-seeking behaviour and information visualisation. He believes that the right information delivered by the right technology at the right time can change how people manage their well-being. His current work uses consumer-generated data to identify people's information needs and to help them make informed decisions.
Apart from research, he has been teaching a range of subjects in the University, including web development, data warehousing, business analytics and participatory health. He also supervises projects of Master students in both IT and Health specialisations. As part of his role as the internship coordinator, he runs a number of lectures and workshops to improve the employability of IT students.
For industry partners who seek to host our students as interns for a short period of time, you can learn more from our School’s website or simply get in touch by email.
For Master students who look for project topics, please click here.
- Pang, PC-I.; Chang, S. The Twitter Adventure of #MyHealthRecord: An Analysis of Different User Groups During the Opt-Out Period.. Studies in health technology and informatics. 2019, Vol. 266, pp. 142-148. DOI: 10.3233/SHTI190786
- Pang, PC-I.; Temple-smith, M.; Bellhouse, C.; Trieu, V-H.; Kiropoulos, L.; Williams, H.; Coomarasamy, A.; Brewin, J.; Bowles, A.; Bilardi, J. Online Health Seeking Behaviours: What Information Is Sought by Women Experiencing Miscarriage?. Studies in health technology and informatics. IOS PRESS. 2018, Vol. 252, pp. 118-125. DOI: 10.3233/978-1-61499-890-7-118
- Pang, PC-I.; Chang, S.; Verspoor, K.; Clavisi, O. The Use of Web-Based Technologies in Health Research Participation: Qualitative Study of Consumer and Researcher Experiences. Journal of Medical Internet Research. JMIR PUBLICATIONS, INC. 2018, Vol. 20, Issue 10. DOI: 10.2196/12094
- Pang, PC-I.; Biuk-aghai, RP.; Yang, M.; Pang, B. Creating realistic map-like visualisations: Results from user studies. Journal of Visual Languages & Computing. ACADEMIC PRESS LTD- ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD. 2017, Vol. 43, pp. 60-70. DOI: 10.1016/j.jvlc.2017.09.002
- Pang, PC-I.; Clavisi, O.; Chang, S. Engaging Consumers with Musculoskeletal Conditions in Health Research: A User-entred Perspective. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. IOS PRESS. 2017, Vol. 239, pp. 104-111. DOI: 10.3233/978-1-61499-783-2-104
- Biuk-aghai, RP.; Pang, PC-I.; Pang, B. Map-like Visualisations vs. Treemaps: An Experimental Comparison. Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Visual Information Communication and Interaction - VINCI '17. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2017, Vol. Part F130152, pp. 113-120. DOI: 10.1145/3105971.3105976
- Pang, PC-I.; Chang, S.; Verspoor, K.; Pearce, J. Designing Health Websites Based on Users' Web-Based Information-Seeking Behaviors: A Mixed-Method Observational Study. Journal of Medical Internet Research. JMIR PUBLICATIONS, INC. 2016, Vol. 18, Issue 6. DOI: 10.2196/jmir.5661
- Pang, PC-I.; Verspoor, K.; Pearce, J.; Chang, S. Finding and Exploring Health Information with a Slider-Based User Interface. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. IOS PRESS. 2016, Vol. 227, pp. 106-112. DOI: 10.3233/978-1-61499-666-8-106
- Pang, PCI.; Chang, S.; Verspoor, K.; Pearce, J. Innovation in designing health information websites: Results from a quantitative study. Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems, PACIS 2016 - Proceedings. AISel. 2016.
- Pang, PC-I.; Harrop, M.; Verspoor, K.; Pearce, J.; Chang, S. What Are Health Website Visitors Doing: Insights from Visualisations Towards Exploratory Search. Proceedings of the 28th Australian Conference on Computer-Human Interaction - OzCHI '16. ACM. 2016, pp. 631-633. DOI: 10.1145/3010915.3011843
- Pang, PC-I.; Biuk-aghai, RP.; Yang, M. What Makes You Think This Is a Map?: Suggestions for Creating Map-like Visualisations. Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Visual Information Communication and Interaction - VINCI '16. ACM. 2016, pp. 75-82. DOI: 10.1145/2968220.2968239
- Pang, C-I.; Verspoor, C.; Pearce, J.; Chang, S. Better Health Explorer: Designing for Health Information Seekers. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Australian Special Interest Group for Computer Human Interaction on - OzCHI '15. Association for Computing Machinery. 2015, pp. 588-597. DOI: 10.1145/2838739.2838772
- Pang, PCI.; Verspoor, K.; Chang, S.; Pearce, J. Better health information exploration. Proceedings of the Asia Pacific HCI and UX Design Symposium on - APCHIUX '15. ACM Press. 2015, Vol. 07-December-2015, pp. 10-15. DOI: 10.1145/2846439.2846444
- Pang, PC-I.; Verspoor, K.; Chang, S.; Pearce, J. Designing for health exploratory seeking behaviour. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. 2014, Vol. 1276, pp. 5-8.
- Pang, CI.; Chang, S.; Pearce, J.; Verspoor, K. Online Health Information Seeking Behaviour: Understanding Different Search Approaches. Proceedings of the 18th Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS 2014). AISel. 2014.
- Pang, CI.; Biuk-aghai, RP. Map-like Wikipedia overview visualization. Proceedings of the 2011 International Conference on Collaboration Technologies and Systems, CTS 2011. IEEE. 2011, pp. 53-60. DOI: 10.1109/CTS.2011.5928665
- Biuk-aghai, RP.; Pang, CI.; Cheang, FHH. Visualization of large category hierarchies. Proceedings of the 2011 Visual Information Communication - International Symposium. ACM Press. 2011, pp. 2:1–2:10-2:1–2:10. DOI: 10.1145/2016656.2016658
- Pang, CL.; Biuk-aghai, RP. Wikipedia world map: Method and application of map-like wiki visualization. Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Wikis and Open Collaboration. ACM Press. 2011, pp. 124-133. DOI: 10.1145/2038558.2038579
- Pang, CI.; Biuk-aghai, RP. A method for category similarity calculation in wikis. WikiSym’10. ACM Press. 2010. DOI: 10.1145/1832772.1832798
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile