Dr Renata Borovica-Gajic
- Data Structures (Indexing Structures, Cache Replacement Algorithms)
- Database Management (Big Data Exploration, Scientific Data Management)
- Database Management in the Cloud
Renata Borovica-Gajic holds a position of Lecturer in Data Analytics in the School of Computing and Information Systems at The University of Melbourne. Dr Borovica-Gajic received her PhD degree in Computer Science from École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland in 2016. During her studies she worked in the Data-Intensive Applications and Systems Laboratory (DIAS), supervised by Prof. Anastasia Ailamaki. Prior to joining EPFL, she worked in industry for 5 years as a senior member of the database team of a power engineering company. She simultaneously completed her Master’s studies in Electrical and Computer Engineering, receiving a Serbian national award for the best Master’s thesis in the field of mathematics and computer science.
Renata’s research focuses on solving data management problems, when storing, accessing and processing massive data sets, enabling faster, more predictable, and cheaper data analysis as a result. She builds intelligent database systems that are able to automatically adjust query processing strategies to comply with the characteristics of data, hardware and usage patterns. She is also interested in the topics of scientific data management, big data exploration, query optimisation, physical database design, and hardware-software co-design.
- Appuswamy, R.; Graefe, G.; Borovica-gajic, R.; Ailamaki, A. The five-minute rule 30 years later and its impact on the storage hierarchy. Communications of the ACM. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2019, Vol. 62, Issue 11, pp. 114-120. DOI: 10.1145/3318163
- Xu, Y.; Qi, J.; Borovica-gajic, R.; Kulik, L. Finding all nearest neighbors with a single graph traversal. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Nature Switzerland. 2018, Vol. 10827 LNCS, pp. 221-238. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-91452-7_15
- Borovica-gajic, R.; Idreos, S.; Ailamaki, A.; Zukowski, M.; Fraser, C. Smooth Scan: robust access path selection without cardinality estimation. The VLDB Journal. SPRINGER. 2018, Vol. 27, Issue 4, pp. 521-545. DOI: 10.1007/s00778-018-0507-8
- Borovica-gajic, R.; Graefe, G.; Lee, A. Robust Performance in Database Query Processing (Dagstuhl Seminar 17222). Dagstuhl Reports. Schloss Dagstuhl--Leibniz-Zentrum fuer Informatik. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 5, pp. 169-180. DOI: 10.4230/DagRep.7.5.169
- Borovica-gajic, R.; Appuswamy, R.; Ailamaki, A. Cheap Data Analytics using Cold Storage Devices. Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2016, Vol. 9, Issue 12, pp. 1029-1040. DOI: 10.14778/2994509.2994521
- Ailamaki, A.; Idreos, S.; Alagiannis, I.; Borovica, R.; De Oliveira Branco, MS. Query management system and engine allowing for efficient query execution on raw details. . Google Patents. 2016.
- Alagiannis, I.; Borovica-gajic, R.; Branco, M.; Idreos, S.; Ailamaki, A. NoDB: Efficient Query Execution on Raw Data Files. Communications of the ACM. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2015, Vol. 58, Issue 12, pp. 112-121. DOI: 10.1145/2830508
- Borovica-gajic, R.; Idreos, S.; Ailamaki, A.; Zukowski, M.; Fraser, C. Smooth Scan: Statistics-oblivious access paths. 2015 IEEE 31st International Conference on Data Engineering. IEEE Press. 2015, Vol. 2015-May, pp. 315-326. DOI: 10.1109/ICDE.2015.7113294
- Borovica, R.; Alagiannis, I.; Ailamaki, A. Automated physical designers: What you see is (Not) what you get. Proceedings of the Fifth International Workshop on Testing Database Systems - DBTest '12. ACM Press. 2012. DOI: 10.1145/2304510.2304522
- Alagiannis, I.; Borovica, R.; Branco, M.; Idreos, S.; Ailamaki, A. NoDB in action: Adaptive query processing on raw data. Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment. VLDB Endowment. 2012, Vol. 5, Issue 12, pp. 1942-1945. DOI: 10.14778/2367502.2367543
- Alagiannis, I.; Borovica, R.; Branco, M.; Idreos, S.; Ailamaki, A. NoDB: Efficient query execution on raw data files. Proceedings of the 2012 international conference on Management of Data - SIGMOD '12. ACM Press. 2012, pp. 241-252. DOI: 10.1145/2213836.2213864