Associate Professor Martin Gibbs
- Sociology of Recreational and Domestic Uses of Information Technology
Dr Martin Gibbs is an Associate Professor in the Department of Computing and Information Systems at The University of Melbourne.
- how people use a variety of interactive technologies (video games, community networks, mobile phones; etc) for convivial and sociable purposes in a variety of situations (intimate strong-tie relationships, local neighborhoods, work-based occupational communities, online computer games)
- social dynamics of digital and board games
- digital commemoration and the use of interactive technologies at end-of-life
- Mavoa J, Carter M, Gibbs M. Children and Minecraft: A survey of children's digital play. NEW MEDIA & SOCIETY. Sage Publications. 2018, Vol. 20, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1177/1461444817745320
- Rogerson M, Gibbs M, Smith M. Cooperating to compete: The mutuality of cooperation and competition in boardgame play. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. 2018, Vol. 2018-April. DOI: 10.1145/3173574.3173767
- Rogerson M, Gibbs M. Finding Time for Tabletop: Board Game Play and Parenting. GAMES AND CULTURE. Sage Publications. 2018, Vol. 13, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1177/1555412016656324
- Van Ryn L, Meese J, Arnold M, Nansen B, Gibbs M, Kohn T. Managing the consumption of death and digital media: The funeral director as market intermediary. Death Studies. Routledge. 2018. DOI: 10.1080/07481187.2018.1522387
- Kohn T, Arnold M, Gibbs M, Meese J, Nansen B. The social life of the dead and the leisured life of the living online. Leisure and Death: An Anthropological Tour of Risk, Death, and Dying. 2018. DOI: 10.5876/9781607327295.c010
- Harewood Gould H, Kohn T, Gibbs M. Uploading the ancestors: Experiments with digital Buddhist altars in contemporary Japan. Death Studies. Routledge. 2018. DOI: 10.1080/07481187.2018.1544948
- Allison F, Carter M, Gibbs M. Word Play: A History of Voice Interaction in Digital Games. Games and Culture. Sage Publications. 2018, Vol. First online. DOI: 10.1177/1555412017746305
- Mavoa J, Carter M, Gibbs M. Beyond Addiction: Positive and Negative Parent Perceptions of Minecraft Play. Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play (CHI PLAY). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3116595.3116638
- Mavoa J, Gibbs M, Carter M. Constructing the young child media user in Australia: a discourse analysis of Facebook comments. JOURNAL OF CHILDREN AND MEDIA. Routledge. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1080/17482798.2017.1308400
- Arnold M, Gibbs M, Kohn T, Meese J, Nansen B. Death and digital media. Death and Digital Media. 2017. DOI: 10.4324/9781315688749
- Nansen B, Van Der Nagel E, Kohn T, Arnold M, Gibbs M. Death and the Internet: Consumer issues for planning and managing digital legacies (2nd edition). Death and the Internet: Consumer issues for planning and managing digital legacies (2nd edition). Australian Communications Consumer Action Network. 2017.
- Muller FF, Gibbs M, Vetere F, Edge D. Designing for Bodily Interplay in Social Exertion Games. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON COMPUTER-HUMAN INTERACTION. Association for Computing Machinery. 2017, Vol. 24, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1145/3064938
- Rogerson M, Gibbs M, Smith M. Exploring the Digital Hinterlands: Internet Practices Surrounding the Pursuit of "Offline" Hobbies. 18th Annual Conference of the Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR). Association of Internet Researchers. 2017.
- Van Ryn L, Kohn T, Nansen B, Arnold M, Gibbs M. RESEARCHING DEATH ONLINE. ROUTLEDGE COMPANION TO DIGITAL ETHNOGRAPHY. Routledge. 2017. Editors: Hjorth L, Horst H, Galloway A, Bell G.
- Nansen B, Kohn T, Arnold M, Van Ryn L, Gibbs M. Social Media in the Funeral Industry: On the Digitization of Grief. JOURNAL OF BROADCASTING & ELECTRONIC MEDIA. Routledge. 2017, Vol. 61, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1080/08838151.2016.1273925
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile