Dr Wally Smith
- Educational technology
- Health informatics
- Public history and digital technologies
- Social origins and implications of IT
Wally Smith has worked in the field for Human-Computer Interaction and Social Computing for several years, holding research positions at University College London, University of Surrey, University of Western Australia, City University London, before joining the University of Melbourne. His research examines real-world experiences of using IT in a variety of domains including public history, education, health and emergency management. He also does more theoretical work on the social and historical origins of information technology. Across his career he has taught various aspects of applied computing, most recently Organisational Processes, Knowledge Management, Research Methods in Information Systems, and Impacts of Digitisation.
- Smith M, Lewi H, Nichols D. 'PastPort': Reflections on the Design of a Mobile App for Citizen Heritage in Port Melbourne. AUSTRALIAN HISTORICAL STUDIES. University of Melbourne. 2018, Vol. 49, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1080/1031461X.2017.1407350
- Rogerson M, Gibbs M, Smith M. Cooperating to compete: The mutuality of cooperation and competition in boardgame play. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. 2018, Vol. 2018-April. DOI: 10.1145/3173574.3173767
- Graham C, Smith M, Moncur W, Van Den Hoven E. Introduction: Mortality in Design. DESIGN ISSUES. MIT Press. 2018, Vol. 34, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1162/DESI_e_00472
- Lederman R, Constantinidis D, Linden T, Corrin L, Smith M, Pearce J, Bailey J. Using a Traffic Light System to Provide Feedback to IS Masters Students. ICIS 2017: Transforming Society with Digital Innovation. 2018.
- Smith M, Lewi H, Saniga A, Stickells L, Constantinidis D. Bringing the Classroom into the World: Three Reflective Case Studies of Designing Mobile Technology to Support Blended Learning for the Built and Landscaped Environment. Journal of Problem Based Learning in Higher Education. 2017, Vol. 5, Issue 1.
- Smith M, Wadley G, Daly O, Webb M, Hughson J, Hajek J, Parker A, Woodward-Kron R, Story D. Designing an app for pregnancy care for a culturally and linguistically diverse community. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2017, Vol. Part F134477. DOI: 10.1145/3152771.3152807
- Webber S, Carter M, Smith M, Vetere F. Interactive technology and human-animal encounters at the zoo. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HUMAN-COMPUTER STUDIES. Academic Press - Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 98. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2016.05.003
- Webber S, Carter M, Sherwen S, Smith M, Joukhadar Z, Vetere F. Kinecting with Orangutans: Zoo Visitors' Empathetic Responses to Animals' Use of Interactive Technology. ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3025729
- McKay D, Chang S, Smith M. Manoeuvres in the dark: Design implications of the physical mechanics of library shelf browsing. CHIIR 2017 - Proceedings of the 2017 Conference Human Information Interaction and Retrieval. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3020165.3020179
- Dong R, Carter M, Smith M, Joukhadar Z, Sherwen S, Smith A. Supporting animal welfare with automatic tracking of giraffes with thermal cameras. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2017, Vol. Part F134477. DOI: 10.1145/3152771.3156142
- Smith M, Ploderer B, Wadley G, Webber S, Borland R. Trajectories of Engagement and Disengagement with a Story-Based Smoking Cessation App. ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3026054
- Rogerson M, Gibbs M, Smith M. What can we learn from eye tracking boardgame play?. CHI PLAY 2017 Extended Abstracts - Extended Abstracts Publication of the Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3130859.3131314
- Rogerson M, Gibbs M, Smith M. "I love all the bits": The Materiality of Boardgames. 34th Annual CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI4GOOD). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016. DOI: 10.1145/2858036.2858433
- Shedden P, Ahmad A, Smith M, Tscherning H, Scheepers R. Asset Identification in Information Security Risk Assessment: A Business Practice Approach. COMMUNICATIONS OF THE ASSOCIATION FOR INFORMATION SYSTEMS. Association for Information Systems. 2016, Vol. 39, Issue 1.
- Awori S, Vetere F, Smith M. Sessions with Grandma: Fostering Indigenous Knowledge through Video Mediated Communication. 1st African Conference for Human Computer Interaction (AfriCHI). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016, Vol. 21-25-November-2016. Editors: Awori K, Bidwell NJ. DOI: 10.1145/2998581.2998585
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile