Associate Professor Trevor Cohn
- Natural Language Processing (Translation, Text mining, Text analytics, Machine Learning)
Trevor Cohn is an Associate Professor in the School of Computing and Information Systems, The University of Melbourne and an Australian Research Council Future Fellow. He was previously employed at the University of Sheffield and the University of Edinburgh, and has held visiting positions at the University of Melbourne and Johns Hopkins University. His research interests focus on development of probabilistic and statistical machine learning methods for modelling natural language text, with particular interests in machine translation, parsing and grammar induction. Current projects include text analytics and rumour diffusion over social media, translating diverse and noisy text sources and speech translation. He has served on the editorial boards for Computational Linguistics and Computer Speech and Language, as area chair and reviews for major conferences including ACL, EMNLP, COLING and NIPS, as well as reviewing for several grant authorities. Trevor completed a BEng(Software) and BComm(Finance) in 2000, followed by a PhD(Engineering) in 2007, all at The University of Melbourne. Prior to commencing his position at The University of Melbourne, he was a Senior Lecturer at The University of Sheffield (2009-2014).
- Zubiaga A, Kochkina E, Liakata M, Procter R, Lukasik M, Bontcheva K, Cohn T, Augenstein I. Discourse-aware rumour stance classification in social media using sequential classifiers. Information Processing and Management. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 54, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1016/j.ipm.2017.11.009
- Panyam NC, Verspoor C, Cohn T, Kotagiri R. Exploiting graph kernels for high performance biomedical relation extraction. JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL SEMANTICS. Biomed Central. 2018, Vol. 9. DOI: 10.1186/s13326-017-0168-3
- Rahimi A, Cohn T, Baldwin T. A neural model for user geolocation and lexical dialectology. ACL 2017 - 55th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Proceedings of the Conference (Long Papers). 2017, Vol. 2. DOI: 10.18653/v1/P17-2033
- Rahimi A, Cohn T, Baldwin T. A Neural Model for User Geolocation and Lexical Dialectology. CoRR. 2017, Vol. abs/1704.04008.
- Liu F, Baldwin T, Cohn T. Capturing Long-range Contextual Dependencies with Memory-enhanced Conditional Random Fields. 8th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (IJCNLP). 2017, Vol. abs/1709.03637.
- Liu F, Baldwin T, Cohn T. Capturing Long-range Contextual Dependencies with Memory-enhanced Conditional Random Fields. CoRR. 2017, Vol. abs/1709.03637.
- Shareghi E, Haffari G, Cohn T. Compressed nonparametric language modelling. IJCAI International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence. AAAI Press. 2017.
- Vylomova E, Cotterell R, Baldwin T, Cohn T. Context-aware prediction of derivational word-forms. 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, EACL 2017 - Proceedings of Conference. 2017, Vol. 2.
- Rahimi A, Baldwin T, Cohn T. Continuous Representation of Location for Geolocation and Lexical Dialectology using Mixture Density Networks. 2017 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP). 2017, Vol. abs/1708.04358.
- Adams O, Makarucha A, Neubig G, Bird S, Cohn T. Cross-lingual word embeddings for low-resource language modeling. 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, EACL 2017 - Proceedings of Conference. 2017, Vol. 1.
- Xu Y, Lau JH, Baldwin T, Cohn T. Decoupling Encoder and Decoder Networks for Abstractive Document Summarization. Proceedings of the Workshop on Summarization and Summary Evaluation Across Source Types and Genres, MultiLing@EACL 2017, Valencia, Spain, April 3, 2017. 2017.
- Lau J, Chi L, Tran K-N, Cohn T. End-to-end Network for Twitter Geolocation Prediction and Hashing. 8th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (IJCNLP). 2017, Vol. abs/1710.04802.
- Liu F, Cohn T, Baldwin T. Improving End-to-End Memory Networks with Unified Weight Tying. Proceedings of the Australasian Language Technology Association Workshop, ALTA 2017, Brisbane, Australia, December 6-8, 2017. 2017.
- Subramanian S, Cohn T, Baldwin T, Brooke J. Joint Sentence-Document Model for Manifesto Text Analysis. Proceedings of the Australasian Language Technology Association Workshop, ALTA 2017, Brisbane, Australia, December 6-8, 2017. 2017.
- Fang M, Li Y, Cohn T. Learning how to Active Learn: A Deep Reinforcement Learning Approach. 2017 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP). 2017, Vol. abs/1708.02383.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile