Professor Andrew Turpin
- Computational problems in optometry and ophthalmology (human vision, modelling, simulation)
- Text compression and search (pattern search, data compression, string search)
Professor Andrew Turpin is Deputy Head (Engagement) School of Computing and Information Systems at the University of Melbourne.
I enjoy applying theoretical computer science research in algorithms and data structures to real world problems across many domains. The common thread across my projects in health, political science, data analytics and information retrieval is speed: I like algoritmics and making code that runs fast (and accurately!). This often involves working with large data sets, which requires custom software for processing, and specialised tasks that require novel algorithms (like visual field testing).
I work with companies in Australia, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, USA on computation problems in glaucoma assessment.
Computational problems in human vision
Open Perimetry Interface
Algorithms for testing visual acuity (eye charts)
Classification of glaucoma patients
Psypad, an iPad app for visual psychophysics
Data compression and string searching
Performance of IR systems with real users
How do people use snippets in Web search result lists?
What does it mean to judge a document relevant to a query?
- Montesano G, Bryan SR, Crabb DP, Fogagnolo P, Oddone F, McKendrick A, Turpin A, Lanzetta P, Perdicchi A, Johnson CA, Garway-Heath DF, Brusini P, Rossetti LM. A Comparison between the Compass Fundus Perimeter and the Humphrey Field Analyzer. OPHTHALMOLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 126, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2018.08.010
- Ho CYD, Wu Z, Turpin A, Lawson D, Luu C, McKendrick A, Guymer R. A Tablet-Based Retinal Function Test in Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration Eyes and At-Risk Fellow Eye. TRANSLATIONAL VISION SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Inc. 2018, Vol. 7, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1167/tvst.7.2.2
- McKendrick A, Chan Y, Vingrys A, Turpin A, Badcock DR. Daily vision testing can expose the prodromal phase of migraine. CEPHALALGIA. Blackwell Publishers. 2018, Vol. 38, Issue 9. DOI: 10.1177/0333102417741130
- Marin-Franch I, Artes PH, Chong LX, Turpin A, Wall M. Data obtained with an open-source static automated perimetry test of the full visual field in healthy adults. DATA IN BRIEF. Elsevier BV. 2018, Vol. 21. DOI: 10.1016/j.dib.2018.09.079
- Bedggood P, Tanabe F, Turpin A, Anderson A, McKendrick A, Bui B. Displacement of optic nerve head structures following a small acute elevation in intra-ocular pressure. Annual Meeting of the Association-for-Research-in-Vision-and-Ophthalmology (ARVO). Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Inc. 2018, Vol. 59, Issue 9.
- Adams M, Ho CYD, Baglin E, Sharangan P, Wu Z, Lawson DJ, Luu C, Turpin A, McKendrick A, Guymer R. Home Monitoring of Retinal Sensitivity on a Tablet Device in Intermediate Age-Related Macular Degeneration. TRANSLATIONAL VISION SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Inc. 2018, Vol. 7, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1167/tvst.7.5.32
- Turpin A, Morgan WH, McKendrick A. Improving Spatial Resolution and Test Times of Visual Field Testing Using ARREST. TRANSLATIONAL VISION SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Inc. 2018, Vol. 7, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1167/tvst.7.5.35
- Bedggood P, Tanabe F, McKendrick A, Turpin A, Anderson A, Bui B. Optic nerve tissue displacement during mild intraocular pressure elevation: its relationship to central corneal thickness and corneal hysteresis. OPHTHALMIC AND PHYSIOLOGICAL OPTICS. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 38, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1111/opo.12568
- Yang Z, Moffat A, Turpin A. Pairwise Crowd Judgments: Preference, Absolute, and Ratio. 23rd Australasian Document Computing Symposium (ADCS). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2018. DOI: 10.1145/3291992.3291995
- Mukherjee S, Bedggood P, Nguyen B, Turpin A, McKendrick A. Population variability of temporal raphe in myopia. Annual Meeting of the Association-for-Research-in-Vision-and-Ophthalmology (ARVO). Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Inc. 2018, Vol. 59, Issue 9.
- Denniss J, Turpin A, McKendrick A. Relating optical coherence tomography to visual fields in glaucoma: structure–function mapping, limitations and future applications. Clinical and Experimental Optometry. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. 2018. DOI: 10.1111/cxo.12844
- Ballae Ganeshrao S, Turpin A, McKendrick A. Sampling the Visual Field Based on Individual Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Thickness Profile. INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Inc. 2018, Vol. 59, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1167/iovs.17-21979
- Hussain M, Bhuiyan A, Turpin A, Luu C, Smith RT, Guymer R, Kotagiri R. Automatic Identification of Pathology-Distorted Retinal Layer Boundaries Using SD-OCT Imaging. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2017, Vol. 64, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1109/TBME.2016.2619120
- Maddalena E, Mizzaro S, Scholer F, Turpin A. On Crowdsourcing Relevance Magnitudes for Information Retrieval Evaluation. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON INFORMATION SYSTEMS. Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2017, Vol. 35, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1145/3002172
- Buchanan G, McKay D, Velloso E, Moffat A, Turpin A, Scholer F. Only forward? toward understanding human visual behaviour when examining search results. 29th Australian Computer-Human Interaction Conference (OzCHI 2017). 2017, Vol. Part F134477. DOI: 10.1145/3152771.3156165
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile