Professor Tim Baldwin
- Natural Language Processing (Text mining, social media analytics, text anallytics)
Prof Timothy Baldwin is a Professor in the Department of Computing and Information Systems, The University of Melbourne, an Australian Research Council Future Fellow, and a contributed research staff member of NICTA Victoria. He has previously held visiting positions at the University of Washington, University of Tokyo, Saarland University, and NTT Communication Science Laboratories. His research interests include text mining of social media, computational lexical semantics, information extraction and web mining, with a particular interest in the interface between computational and theoretical linguistics. Current projects include web user forum mining, text mining of Twitter, and intelligent interfaces for Japanese language learners. He is currently Secretary of the Australasian Language Technology Association, and a member of the Executive Committee of the Asian Federation of Natural Language Processing. Tim completed a BSc(CS/Maths) and BA(Linguistics/Japanese) at The University of Melbourne in 1995, and an MEng(CS) and PhD(CS) at the Tokyo Institute of Technology in 1998 and 2001, respectively. Prior to commencing his current position at The University of Melbourne, he was a Senior Research Engineer at the Center for the Study of Language and Information, Stanford University (2001-2004).
- Breen J, Baldwin T, Bond F. The company they keep: Extracting Japanese neologisms using language patterns. GWC 2018 - 9th Global WordNet Conference. 2018, Vol. 2018-January.
- Hoogeveen D, Wang L, Baldwin T, Verspoor C. Web forum retrieval and text analytics: A survey. Foundations and Trends in Information Retrieval. 2018, Vol. 12, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1561/1500000062
- Rahimi A, Cohn T, Baldwin T. A neural model for user geolocation and lexical dialectology. ACL 2017 - 55th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Proceedings of the Conference (Long Papers). 2017, Vol. 2. DOI: 10.18653/v1/P17-2033
- Graham Y, Baldwin T, Moffat A, Zobel J. Can machine translation systems be evaluated by the crowd alone. NATURAL LANGUAGE ENGINEERING. Cambridge University Press. 2017, Vol. 23, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1017/S1351324915000339
- Liu F, Baldwin T, Cohn T. Capturing Long-range Contextual Dependencies with Memory-enhanced Conditional Random Fields. 8th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (IJCNLP). 2017, Vol. abs/1709.03637.
- Vylomova E, Cotterell R, Baldwin T, Cohn T. Context-aware prediction of derivational word-forms. 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, EACL 2017 - Proceedings of Conference. 2017, Vol. 2.
- Rahimi A, Baldwin T, Cohn T. Continuous Representation of Location for Geolocation and Lexical Dialectology using Mixture Density Networks. 2017 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP). 2017, Vol. abs/1708.04358.
- Aletras N, Baldwin T, Lau J, Stevenson M. Evaluating Topic Representations for Exploring Document Collections. JOURNAL OF THE ASSOCIATION FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY. John Wiley & Sons. 2017, Vol. 68, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1002/asi.23574
- Graham Y, Ma Q, Baldwin T, Liu Q, Parra C, Scarton C. Improving evaluation of document-level machine translation quality estimation. 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, EACL 2017 - Proceedings of Conference. 2017, Vol. 2.
- Sorodoc I, Lau J, Aletras N, Baldwin T. Multimodal topic labelling. 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, EACL 2017 - Proceedings of Conference. 2017, Vol. 2.
- Subramanian S, Baldwin T, Brooke J, Cohn T. Pairwise Webpage Coreference Classification Using Distant Supervision. 26th International Conference on World Wide Web (WWW). 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3041021.3054224
- Li Y, Cohn T, Baldwin T. Robust training under linguistic adversity. 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, EACL 2017 - Proceedings of Conference. 2017, Vol. 2.
- Mathur N, Baldwin T, Cohn T. Sequence Effects in Crowdsourced Annotations. 2017 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP). Association for Computational Linguistics. 2017.
- Lau J, Baldwin T, Cohn T. Topically driven neural language model. ACL 2017 - 55th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Proceedings of the Conference (Long Papers). 2017, Vol. 1. DOI: 10.18653/v1/P17-1033
- McGreevy P, Thomson P, Dhand NK, Raubenheimer D, Masters S, Mansfield C, Baldwin T, Magalhaes RJS, Rand J, Hill P, Peaston A, Gilkerson J, Combs M, Raidal S, Irwin P, Irons P, Squires R, Brodbelt D, Hammond J. VetCompass Australia: A National Big Data Collection System for Veterinary Science. ANIMALS. MDPI AG. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 10. DOI: 10.3390/ani7100074
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile