Professor Richard Sinnott
- IT security (authentication, authorisation, auditing and accounting systems)
- biomedical IT systems (bioinformatics, life science data management)
- clinical IT systems (biobanking, clinical trials, epidemiology, disease registries)
- eResearch across multiple application areas (security, HPC, data management, distributed systems)
- engineering IT systems (large scale supercomputing / Grids)
- public health IT systems (social, clinical, geospatial, environmental systems)
- social science IT systems (social simulation, microdata)
- software engineering (real time systems, formal methods, distributed systems)
Director of eResearch at the University of Melbourne since July 2010 and Professor of Applied Computing Systems in Computing and Information Systems Department, Melbourne School of Engineering. In these roles he is responsible for all aspects of eResearch (research-oriented IT development) at the University. He has been lead software engineer/architect on an extensive portfolio of national and international projects, with specific focus on those research domains requiring finer-grained access control (security).
Prior to this position he was Technical Director of the National e-Science Centre at the University of Glasgow, Scotland and Director of e-Science at Glasgow. In these roles he was responsible for organising and administrating both UK wide work and local Glasgow University activities associated with e-Science. He also held the position of Deputy Technical Director for the Bioinformatics Research Centre at the University of Glasgow and Technical Manager of the National Centre for e-Social Science (based in Manchester). He was involved in many applications-oriented projects applying a wide variety of Grid/eResearch based technologies (see below).
Richard ran his own software consultancy company in the area of real time telecommunication systems and was a senior research scientist for several years based in Berlin, Germany. He was also editor of several international computing standards (ITU-T X904). He has over 150 publications covering all aspects of computing science: from theoretical computing science; real time systems; security and more recently in eResearch and its applications. Richard currently lectures in cloud computing.
- Poulton A, Pan J, Bruns LR, Sinnott R, Hester R. Assessment of alcohol intake: Retrospective measures versus a smartphone application. ADDICTIVE BEHAVIORS. Pergamon. 2018, Vol. 83. DOI: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2017.11.003
- Donald R, Howells T, Piper I, Enblad P, Nilsson P, Chambers I, Gregson B, Citerio G, Kiening K, Neumann J, Ragauskas A, Sahuquillo J, Sinnott R, Stell A, Pickard J, Whittle I, Dunn, Rydenhag B, Iencean S, Pavalkis, Meixensberger, Goffin J, Vajkoczy P, Stocchetti N, Corte D, Hell, Mascia L, Jarzemaskas, Stocker R, Chambers IR, Citerio G, Enblad P, Gregson BA, Howells T, Kiening K, Mattern J, Nilsson P, Piper I, Ragauskas A, Sahuquillo J, Yau YH, Chambers I, Wyper D, Kiefer M, De Jong D, Gjerris F, Hill S, Cruickshank G, Watkins L. Forewarning of hypotensive events using a Bayesian artificial neural network in neurocritical care. Journal of Clinical Monitoring and Computing. Springer Verlag. 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s10877-018-0139-y
- Wang S, Sinnott R, Nepal S. Privacy-protected statistics publication over social media user trajectory streams. Future Generation Computer Systems. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 87. DOI: 10.1016/j.future.2017.08.002
- Nadjaran Toosi A, Sinnott R, Buyya R. Resource provisioning for data-intensive applications with deadline constraints on hybrid clouds using Aneka. FUTURE GENERATION COMPUTER SYSTEMS-THE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ESCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 79. DOI: 10.1016/j.future.2017.05.042
- Gong Y, Sinnott R, Rimba P. RT-DBSCAN: Real-time parallel clustering of spatio-temporal data using spark-streaming. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). Springer Verlag. 2018, Vol. 10860 LNCS. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-93698-7_40
- Lu Y, Sinnott R. Semantic privacy-preserving framework for electronic health record linkage. Telematics and Informatics. 2018, Vol. 35, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1016/j.tele.2017.06.007
- Marsh M, Sinnott R. The behaviour of the Irish voter. How Ireland Voted 1997. 2018. DOI: 10.4324/9780429499999
- Glockner S, Toikkanen SE, Rui J, Hu W, Sinnott R. A Case Study of the International Niemann-Pick Disease Registry (INPDR). 2017 IEEE 19th International Conference on e-Health Networking, Applications and Services, Healthcom 2017. 2017, Vol. 2017-December. DOI: 10.1109/HealthCom.2017.8210764
- Wang D, Li Q, Wang L, Sinnott R, Jiang Y. A Hybrid-timeout Mechanism to Handle Rule Dependencies in Software Defined Networks. 2017 IEEE CONFERENCE ON COMPUTER COMMUNICATIONS WORKSHOPS (INFOCOM WKSHPS). IEEE. 2017.
- Zheng Z, Bruns L, Li J, Sinnott R. A mobile application and cloud platform supporting research into alcohol consumption. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2017, Vol. Part F129311. DOI: 10.1145/3107514.3107519
- Gao M, Lin L, Sinnott R. A Mobile Application for Plant Recognition through Deep Learning. 13th Annual IEEE International Conference on e-Science (e-Science). IEEE. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/eScience.2017.15
- Kozhirbayev Z, Sinnott R. A performance comparison of container-based technologies for the Cloud. FUTURE GENERATION COMPUTER SYSTEMS-THE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ESCIENCE. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 68. DOI: 10.1016/j.future.2016.08.025
- Khodadadi F, Sinnott R. A Semantic-aware Framework for Service Definition and Discovery in the Internet of Things Using CoAP. 8TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON EMERGING UBIQUITOUS SYSTEMS AND PERVASIVE NETWORKS (EUSPN 2017) / 7TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON CURRENT AND FUTURE TRENDS OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGIES IN HEALTHCARE (ICTH-2017) / AFFILIATED WORKSHOPS. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 113. Editors: Shakshuki E. DOI: 10.1016/j.procs.2017.08.334
- Lu Y, Sinnott R, Verspoor C. A semantic-based k-anonymity scheme for health record linkage. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. IOS Press. 2017, Vol. 239. DOI: 10.3233/978-1-61499-783-2-84
- Pamporaki C, Hamplova B, Peitzsch M, Prejbisz A, Beuschlein F, Timmers HJLM, Fassnacht M, Klink B, Lodish M, Stratakis CA, Huebner A, Fliedner S, Robledo M, Sinnott R, Januszewicz A, Pacak K, Eisenhofer G. Characteristics of Pediatric vs Adult Pheochromocytomas and Paragangliomas. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGY & METABOLISM. Endocrine Society. 2017, Vol. 102, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1210/jc.2016-3829
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile