Dr Marcus Carter
- Computer-Human Interaction
Marcus Carter is a Research Fellow in the Microsoft Research Centre for Social Natural User Interfaces, exploring the potential for technologies like the Xbox Kinect and Eye-Gaze for around the table computing. He has prior and ongoing projects involving EVE Online, DayZ, Warhammer 40,000 and Candy Crush Saga. See also, http://marcuscarter.com/ https://unimelb.academia.edu/MarcusCarter
- Mavoa J, Carter M, Gibbs M. Beyond addiction: Positive and negative parent perceptions of minecraft play. CHI PLAY 2017 - Proceedings of the Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3116595.3116638
- Mavoa J, Carter M, Gibbs M. Children and Minecraft: A survey of children’s digital play. New Media and Society. Sage Publications. 2017.
- Mavoa J, Gibbs M, Carter M. Constructing the young child media user in Australia: a discourse analysis of Facebook comments. JOURNAL OF CHILDREN AND MEDIA. Routledge. 2017, Vol. 11, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1080/17482798.2017.1308400
- Carter M, Allison F. Fear, loss and meaningful play: Permadeath in DayZ. JOURNAL OF GAMING AND VIRTUAL WORLDS. Intellect. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1386/jgvw.9.2.143_1
- Webber S, Carter M, Smith M, Vetere F. Interactive technology and human-animal encounters at the zoo. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HUMAN-COMPUTER STUDIES. Academic Press - Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 98. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2016.05.003
- Webber S, Carter M, Sherwen S, Smith M, Joukhadar Z, Vetere F. Kinecting with Orangutans: Zoo Visitors' Empathetic Responses to Animals' Use of Interactive Technology. ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3025729
- Velloso E, Carter M, Newn J, Esteves A, Clarke C, Gellersen H. Motion Correlation: Selecting Objects by Matching Their Movement. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON COMPUTER-HUMAN INTERACTION. Association for Computing Machinery. 2017, Vol. 24, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1145/3064937
- Dong R, Carter M, Smith M, Joukhadar Z, Sherwen S, Smith A. Supporting animal welfare with automatic tracking of giraffes with thermal cameras. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2017, Vol. Part F134477. DOI: 10.1145/3152771.3156142
- Gibbs M, Carter M, Nansen B. Those LED-Lit Water-Kooled Multi-Screen Streamline Battlestations. AoIR Selected Papers of Internet Research. Association of Internet Researchers. 2017.
- Gibbs M, Carter M, Witkowski E. Understanding eSports in Australia: Players, Fans, Recruits. AoIR: Selected Papers of Internet Research. Association of Internet Researchers. 2017.
- Allison F, Carter M, Gibbs M. A History of Voice Interaction in Games. 1st International Joint Conference of DiGRA and FDG. 2016.
- Carter M, Bjork S. Cheating in Candy Crush Saga. Social, Casual and Mobile Games: The Changing Gaming Landscape. Bloomsbury Academic. 2016. Editors: Leaver T, Willson M.
- Newn J, Velloso E, Carter M, Vetere F. Dynamically Exposing Gaze to Foster Playful Experiences in Multiplayer Gameplay. CHI Play 2016 Designing for Emotional Complexity in Games Workshop. 2016.
- Carter M, Bergstrom K, Webber N, Milik O. EVE is Real: How conceptions of the 'real' affect and reflect an online game community. Well Played Journal. 2016, Vol. 5, Issue 2.
- Bergstrom K, Carter M. EVE online for the uninitiated. Internet Spaceships are Serious Business: An EVE Online Reader. 2016.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile