Professor Graeme Shanks
- Information Systems Management (Data Quality, Business Analytics)
Graeme Shanks is a Professorial Fellow in the Department of Computing and Information Systems in the Melbourne School of Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
Prof Shanks completed his PhD in information systems at Monash University in 1997. He was previously Associate Dean (Research) in the Faculty of Information Technology at Monash University. Prior to becoming an academic, he spent several years working as a programmer/analyst and project leader in several large Australian organisations. He has published the outcomes of his research in more than 200 refereed papers in journals including MIS Quarterly, Journal of Information Technology, Information Systems Journal, Information & Management, Journal of the AIS, Electronic Commerce Research, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Information Systems, Behaviour and Information Technology, Communications of the AIS, Communications of the ACM, and Requirements Engineering. Graeme was a member of the Australian Research Council College of Experts (2004-2005). He is a senior editor of the Journal of Information Technology and a member of the editorial boards of the Journal of Database Management and the Pacific Asia Journal of the Association for Information Systems.
- management and impact of information systems
- business analytics
- enterprise architecture
- data quality and conceptual modeling
- Asadi Someh I, Shanks G, Davern M. Reconceptualizing synergy to explain the value of business analytics systems. Journal of Information Technology. Routledge. 2019. DOI: 10.1177/0268396218816210
- Shanks G, Gloet M, Asadi Someh I, Frampton K, Tamm T. Achieving benefits with enterprise architecture. JOURNAL OF STRATEGIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 27, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsis.2018.03.001
- Naseer H, Maynard S, Ahmad A, Shanks G. Cybersecurity risk management using analytics: A dynamic capabilities approach. International Conference on Information Systems. 2018.
- Asadi Someh I, Wixom B, Songhori MJ, Shanks G. Emergence of data and non-data team networks: An agent-based model. International Conference on Information Systems 2018, ICIS 2018. 2018.
- Ahmad A, Baskerville R, Webb J, Maynard S, Shanks G. Organizational Security Learning from Incident Response. ICIS 2017 Proceedings. 2018.
- Cullen S, Shanks G, Davern M, Wilcocks L. A Framework for Relationships in Outsourcing: Contract Management Archetypes. Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. 2017.
- Shanks G, Bekmamedova N. Case study research in information systems. Research Methods: Information, Systems, and Contexts: Second Edition. 2017. DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-08-102220-7.00007-8
- Galliers RD, Newell S, Shanks G, Topi H. Datification and its human, organizational and societal effects: The strategic opportunities and challenges of algorithmic decision-making. Journal of Strategic Information Systems. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 26, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsis.2017.08.002
- Asadi Someh I, Wixom B, Davern M, Shanks G. Enablers and Mechanisms: Practices for Achieving Synergy with Business Analytics. Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. 2017.
- Naseer H, Shanks G, Ahmad A, Maynard S. Towards an analytics-driven information security risk management: A contingent resource based perspective. European Conference on Information Systems. 2017.
- Price R, Shanks G. A semiotic information quality framework: Development and comparative analysis. Enacting Research Methods in Information Systems: Volume 3. 2016. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-29272-4_7
- Asadi Someh I, Shanks G. Emergence of Business Value from Complementary Interactions between Informational and Transactional IT systems. AUSTRALASIAN JOURNAL OF INFORMATION SYSTEMS. University of Canberra, School of Information Sciences and Engineering. 2016, Vol. 20.
- Naseer H, Shanks G, Ahmad A, Maynard S. Enhancing Information Security Risk Management with Security Analytics: A Dynamic Capabilities Perspective. 27th Australasian Conference on Information Systems (ACIS). University of Wollongong. 2016.
- Asadi Someh I, Breidbach C, Davern M, Shanks G. Ethical implications of big data analytics. 24th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS). 2016.
- Webb J, Ahmad A, Maynard S, Shanks G. Foundations for an Intelligence-driven Information Security Risk-management System. Journal of Information Technology Theory and Application. JITTA. 2016, Vol. 17, Issue 3.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile