Professor Frank Vetere
- Human Computer Interaction
- Interaction design
- Social Computing
- Usability Engineering
Professor Frank Vetere is a teacher and researcher in the Department of Computing and Information Systems at the University of Melbourne. He the director of the Microsoft Research Centre for Social Natural User Interfaces (Social-NUI) and leads the Interaction Design Laboratory.
Frank’s expertise is in Human-Computer Interactions (HCI) and Social Computing. He has particular interests in design-thinking and in technologies for ageing well. His research aims to generate knowledge about the use and design of information and communication technologies for human wellbeing and social benefit. He applies human-oriented design techniques, interpretations of ethnographies, and evaluation of technologies (field-based studies and lab-based experiments) to create knowledge about the design and use of ICTs.
Frank serves on the editorial board of the journals Interacting with Computers (IwC), and the International Journal of Human Computer Studies (IJHCS) and is an expert member of the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP TC13). At the University of Melbourne, he is a member of the executive committee on the Melbourne Networked Society Institute (MNSI), member of the steering committee on the Hallmark Ageing Research Initiative (HARI), member of the University Appointments and Promotions Committee (UAPC) and Fellow of the Wade Institute of Entrepreneurship, Ormond College. Frank is a general chair of CHISIG, Australia's leading body for HCI research.
Prior to joining the University of Melbourne in 2001, Frank worked as a usability engineer and before that as a secondary school teacher. He was deputy Head of Department (2011-2013). He has been a keynote speaker as several conferences. He has received various awards in recognition of his teaching and in 2011 was awarded the CHISIG Medal for outstanding service to and promotion of Human-Computer Interaction in Australia.
- Kelly D, Hoang T, Reinoso Naranjo M, Joukhadar Z, Clements TK, Vetere F. Augmented reality learning environment for physiotherapy education. PHYSICAL THERAPY REVIEWS. Maney Publishing. 2018, Vol. 23, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1080/10833196.2018.1447256
- Hoang T, Ferdous H, Vetere F, Reinoso Naranjo M. Body as a Canvas: An exploration on the role of the body as display of digital information. DIS 2018 - Proceedings of the 2018 Designing Interactive Systems Conference. 2018. DOI: 10.1145/3196709.3196724
- Baker S, Warburton J, Waycott J, Batchelor F, Thuong H, Dow F, Ozanne E, Vetere F. Combatting social isolation and increasing social participation of older adults through the use of technology: A systematic review of existing evidence. AUSTRALASIAN JOURNAL ON AGEING. Council on the Ageing. 2018, Vol. 37, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1111/ajag.12572
- Singh R, Miller T, Newn J, Sonenberg E, Furtado De Mendonca Moncores Velloso E, Vetere F. Combining planning with gaze for online human intention recognition: Socially interactive agents track. Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, AAMAS. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2018, Vol. 1.
- Carrasco R, Waycott J, Baker S, Vetere F. Designing the lost self: Older adults' self-representations in online games. DIS 2018 - Proceedings of the 2018 Designing Interactive Systems Conference. 2018. DOI: 10.1145/3196709.3196773
- Paay J, Pedell S, Sterling L, Vetere F, Howard S. Interdisciplinary design teams translating ethnographic field data into design models: Communicating ambiguous concepts using quality goals. Innovative Methods, User-Friendly Tools, Coding, and Design Approaches in People-Oriented Programming. 2018. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-5969-6.ch007
- Newn J, Allison F, Velloso E, Vetere F. Looks can be deceiving: Using gaze visualisation to predict and mislead opponents In strategic gameplay. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. 2018, Vol. 2018-April. DOI: 10.1145/3173574.3173835
- Davis H, Ferdous H, Vetere F. 'Table manners': Children's use of mobile technologies in family-friendly restaurants. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. 2017, Vol. Part F127655. DOI: 10.1145/3027063.3053353
- Hoang T, Reinoso Naranjo M, Joukhadar Z, Vetere F, Kelly D. Augmented Studio: Projection Mapping on Moving Body for Physiotherapy Education. ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3025860
- Ferdous H, Vetere F, Davis H, Ploderer B, O'Hara K, Comber R, Farr-Wharton G. Celebratory Technology to Orchestrate the Sharing of Devices and Stories during Family Mealtimes. ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3025492
- Abdelrahman Y, Furtado De Mendonca Moncores Velloso E, Dingler T, Schmidt A, Vetere F. Cognitive Heat: Exploring the Usage of Thermal Imaging to Unobtrusively Estimate Cognitive Load. Proc. ACM Interact. Mob. Wearable Ubiquitous Technol.. 2017, Vol. 1, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1145/3130898
- Muller FF, Gibbs M, Vetere F, Edge D. Designing for Bodily Interplay in Social Exertion Games. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON COMPUTER-HUMAN INTERACTION. Association for Computing Machinery. 2017, Vol. 24, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1145/3064938
- Newn J, Furtado De Mendonca Moncores Velloso E, Allison F, Abdelrahman Y, Vetere F. Evaluating Real-Time Gaze Representations to Infer Intentions in Competitive Turn-Based Strategy Games. Annual Symposium on Computer-Human Interaction in Play (CHI PLAY). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3116595.3116624
- Webber S, Carter M, Smith M, Vetere F. Interactive technology and human-animal encounters at the zoo. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HUMAN-COMPUTER STUDIES. Academic Press - Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 98. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2016.05.003
- Webber S, Carter M, Sherwen S, Smith M, Joukhadar Z, Vetere F. Kinecting with Orangutans: Zoo Visitors' Empathetic Responses to Animals' Use of Interactive Technology. ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3025729
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile