Professor Frank Vetere
- Human Computer Interaction
- Interaction design
- Social Computing
- Usability Engineering
Professor Frank Vetere is a teacher and researcher in the Department of Computing and Information Systems at the University of Melbourne. He the director of the Microsoft Research Centre for Social Natural User Interfaces (Social-NUI) and leads the Interaction Design Laboratory.
Frank’s expertise is in Human-Computer Interactions (HCI) and Social Computing. He has particular interests in design-thinking and in technologies for ageing well. His research aims to generate knowledge about the use and design of information and communication technologies for human wellbeing and social benefit. He applies human-oriented design techniques, interpretations of ethnographies, and evaluation of technologies (field-based studies and lab-based experiments) to create knowledge about the design and use of ICTs.
Frank serves on the editorial board of the journals Interacting with Computers (IwC), and the International Journal of Human Computer Studies (IJHCS) and is an expert member of the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP TC13). At the University of Melbourne, he is a member of the executive committee on the Melbourne Networked Society Institute (MNSI), member of the steering committee on the Hallmark Ageing Research Initiative (HARI), member of the University Appointments and Promotions Committee (UAPC) and Fellow of the Wade Institute of Entrepreneurship, Ormond College. Frank is a general chair of CHISIG, Australia's leading body for HCI research.
Prior to joining the University of Melbourne in 2001, Frank worked as a usability engineer and before that as a secondary school teacher. He was deputy Head of Department (2011-2013). He has been a keynote speaker as several conferences. He has received various awards in recognition of his teaching and in 2011 was awarded the CHISIG Medal for outstanding service to and promotion of Human-Computer Interaction in Australia.
- Madumal P, Miller T, Sonenberg E, Vetere F. A Grounded Interaction Protocol for Explainable Artificial Intelligence. 18th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and MultiAgent Systems (AAMAS). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2019.
- Newn J, Tag B, Singh R, Furtado De Mendonca Moncores Velloso E, Vetere F. AI-mediated gaze-based intention recognition for smart eyewear. Proceedings of the 2019 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Proceedings of the 2019 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers - UbiComp/ISWC '19. ACM Press. 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3341162.3348387
- Reinoso Naranjo M, Hoang T, Vetere F, Tanin E. Annotating Animated AR Objects for Co-located Learning. 2018 IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment, and Learning for Engineering (TALE). IEEE. 2019. DOI: 10.1109/TALE.2018.8615452
- Ferdous H, Hoang T, Joukhadar Z, Reinoso Naranjo M, Vetere F, Kelly D, Remedios L. “What’s happening at that hip?”: Evaluating an On-body Projection based Augmented Reality System for Physiotherapy Classroom. 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3290605.3300464
- Wouters N, Kelly R, Furtado De Mendonca Moncores Velloso E, Wolf K, Ferdous H, Newn J, Joukhadar Z, Vetere F. Biometric Mirror: Exploring Values and Attitudes towards Facial Analysis and Automated Decision-Making. 2019 Designing Interactive Systems Conference. 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3322276.3322304
- Waycott J, Vetere F, Ozanne E. Building Social Connections: A Framework for Enriching Older Adults' Social Connectedness Through Information and Communication Technologies. Ageing and Digital Technology: Designing and Evaluating Emerging Technologies for Older Adults. 2019. Editors: Neves BB, Vetere F. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-3693-5_5
- Kelly R, Ferdous H, Wouters N, Vetere F. Can Mobile Augmented Reality Stimulate a Honeypot Effect? Observations from Santa’s Lil Helper. CHI 2019: PROCEEDINGS OF THE 2019 CHI CONFERENCE ON HUMAN FACTORS IN COMPUTING SYSTEMS. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3290605.3300515
- Newn J, Singh R, Furtado De Mendonca Moncores Velloso E, Vetere F. Combining implicit gaze and AI for real-time intention projection. Proceedings of the 2019 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Proceedings of the 2019 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers - UbiComp/ISWC '19. ACM Press. 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3341162.3343786
- Newn J, Singh R, Allison F, Madumal P, Velloso E, Vetere F. Designing interactions with intention-aware gaze-enabled artificial agents. Human-Computer Interaction – INTERACT 2019. Springer Verlag. 2019, Vol. 11747 LNCS. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-29384-0_17
- Baker S, Waycott J, Robertson E, Carrasco R, Neves BB, Hampson R, Vetere F. Evaluating the use of interactive virtual reality technology with older adults living in residential aged care. Information Processing and Management. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2019. DOI: 10.1016/j.ipm.2019.102105
- Baker S, Waycott J, Carrasco R, Hoang T, Vetere F. Exploring the design of social VR experiences with older adults. DIS 2019 - Proceedings of the 2019 ACM Designing Interactive Systems Conference. 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3322276.3322361
- Baker S, Kelly R, Waycott J, Carrasco R, Hoang T, Batchelor F, Ozanne E, Dow B, Warburton J, Vetere F. Interrogating Social Virtual Reality as a Communication Medium for Older Adults. Proceedings of the The 22nd ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3359251
- Andrade R, Rogerson M, Waycott J, Baker S, Vetere F. Playing blind: Revealing the world of gamers with visual impairment. 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3290605.3300346
- Baker S, Waycott J, Vetere F, Hoang T. The Technology Explorers: Partnering with Older Adults to Engage with Virtual Reality and Virtual Avatars. Ageing and Digital Technology: Designing and Evaluating Emerging Technologies for Older Adults. 2019. Editors: Barbosa Neves B, Vetere F. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-3693-5_14
- Kelly D, Hoang T, Reinoso Naranjo M, Joukhadar Z, Clements TK, Vetere F. Augmented reality learning environment for physiotherapy education. PHYSICAL THERAPY REVIEWS. Maney Publishing. 2018, Vol. 23, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1080/10833196.2018.1447256
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile