Professor Frank Vetere
- Human Computer Interaction
- Interaction design
- Social Computing
- Usability Engineering
Professor Frank Vetere is a teacher and researcher in the Department of Computing and Information Systems at the University of Melbourne. He the director of the Microsoft Research Centre for Social Natural User Interfaces (Social-NUI) and leads the Interaction Design Laboratory.
Frank’s expertise is in Human-Computer Interactions (HCI) and Social Computing. He has particular interests in design-thinking and in technologies for ageing well. His research aims to generate knowledge about the use and design of information and communication technologies for human wellbeing and social benefit. He applies human-oriented design techniques, interpretations of ethnographies, and evaluation of technologies (field-based studies and lab-based experiments) to create knowledge about the design and use of ICTs.
Frank serves on the editorial board of the journals Interacting with Computers (IwC), and the International Journal of Human Computer Studies (IJHCS) and is an expert member of the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP TC13). At the University of Melbourne, he is a member of the executive committee on the Melbourne Networked Society Institute (MNSI), member of the steering committee on the Hallmark Ageing Research Initiative (HARI), member of the University Appointments and Promotions Committee (UAPC) and Fellow of the Wade Institute of Entrepreneurship, Ormond College. Frank is a general chair of CHISIG, Australia's leading body for HCI research.
Prior to joining the University of Melbourne in 2001, Frank worked as a usability engineer and before that as a secondary school teacher. He was deputy Head of Department (2011-2013). He has been a keynote speaker as several conferences. He has received various awards in recognition of his teaching and in 2011 was awarded the CHISIG Medal for outstanding service to and promotion of Human-Computer Interaction in Australia.
- Ferdous H, Thuong H, Joukhadar Z, Reinoso M, Vetere F, Kelly D, Remedios L. "What's Happening at that Hip?": Evaluating an On-body Projection based Augmented Reality System for Physiotherapy Classroom. CHI 2019: PROCEEDINGS OF THE 2019 CHI CONFERENCE ON HUMAN FACTORS IN COMPUTING SYSTEMS. Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3290605.3300464
- Madumal P, Miller T, Sonenberg E, Vetere F. A Grounded Interaction Protocol for Explainable Artificial Intelligence. 18th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and MultiAgent Systems (AAMAS). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2019.
- Reinoso M, Hoang T, Vetere F, Tanin E. Annotating Animated AR Objects for Co-located Learning. 2018 IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment, and Learning for Engineering (TALE). IEEE. 2019. DOI: 10.1109/TALE.2018.8615452
- Wouters N, Kelly R, Furtado De Mendonca Moncores Velloso E, Wolf K, Ferdous H, Newn J, Joukhadar Z, Vetere F. Biometric Mirror: Exploring Values and Attitudes towards Facial Analysis and Automated Decision-Making. 2019 Designing Interactive Systems Conference. 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3322276.3322304
- Kelly R, Ferdous H, Wouters N, Vetere F. Can Mobile Augmented Reality Stimulate a Honeypot Effect? Observations from Santa’s Lil Helper. CHI 2019: PROCEEDINGS OF THE 2019 CHI CONFERENCE ON HUMAN FACTORS IN COMPUTING SYSTEMS. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3290605.3300515
- Andrade R, Rogerson M, Waycott J, Baker S, Vetere F. Playing Blind: Revealing the World of Garners with Visual Impairment. CHI 2019: PROCEEDINGS OF THE 2019 CHI CONFERENCE ON HUMAN FACTORS IN COMPUTING SYSTEMS. Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3290605.3300346
- Kelly D, Hoang T, Reinoso M, Joukhadar Z, Clements TK, Vetere F. Augmented reality learning environment for physiotherapy education. PHYSICAL THERAPY REVIEWS. Maney Publishing. 2018, Vol. 23, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1080/10833196.2018.1447256
- Hoang T, Ferdous H, Vetere F, Reinoso Naranjo M. Body as a Canvas: An exploration on the role of the body as display of digital information. Designing Interactive Systems (DIS) 2018. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2018. DOI: 10.1145/3196709.3196724
- Velloso E, Dingler T, Vetere F, Horman S, McDougall H, Mierzejewska K. Challenges of Emerging Technologies for Human-Centred Design: Bridging the Gap between Inquiry and Invention. 30th Australian Conference on Computer-Human Interaction (OzCHI). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2018. Editors: McKay D, Waycott J, Morrison A, Choi JHJ, Lugmayr A, Billinghurst M, Kelly R, Buchanan G, Stevenson D. DOI: 10.1145/3292147.3293451
- Baker S, Warburton J, Waycott J, Batchelor F, Thuong H, Dow F, Ozanne E, Vetere F. Combatting social isolation and increasing social participation of older adults through the use of technology: A systematic review of existing evidence. AUSTRALASIAN JOURNAL ON AGEING. Council on the Ageing. 2018, Vol. 37, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1111/ajag.12572
- Singh R, Miller T, Newn J, Sonenberg E, Furtado De Mendonca Moncores Velloso E, Vetere F. Combining Planning with Gaze for Online Human Intention Recognition. 17th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and MultiAgent Systems (AAMAS). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2018.
- Singh R, Miller T, Newn J, Sonenberg E, Furtado De Mendonca Moncores Velloso E, Vetere F. Combining planning with gaze for online human intention recognition: Socially interactive agents track. International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2018, Vol. 1.
- Cavenett W, Baker S, Waycott J, Carrasco R, Robertson E, Vetere F, Hampson R. Deploying new technology in residential aged care: Staff members' perspectives. 30th Australian Conference on Computer-Human Interaction (OzCHI). 2018. DOI: 10.1145/3292147.3292214
- Carrasco R, Waycott J, Baker S, Vetere F. Designing the lost self: Older adults' self-representations in online games. Designing Interactive Systems (DIS) 2018. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2018. DOI: 10.1145/3196709.3196773
- Andrade R, Baker S, Waycott J, Vetere F. Echo-house: Exploring a virtual environment by using echolocation. 30th Australian Conference on Computer-Human Interaction (OzCHI). Association for Computing Machinery. 2018. DOI: 10.1145/3292147.3292163
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile