Dr Niels Wouters
- Art Science
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Media Architecture
- Public Displays
- Urban Informatics
Dr. Niels Wouters is Head of Research and Emerging Practice for Science Gallery Melbourne, and Research Fellow in the Interaction Design Lab at the University of Melbourne. In his role, he promotes collisions between arts and science as a mechanism to expose the breadth of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). His research practice in Human-Computer Interaction revolves around the democratization of technology and the road to empowerment, so as to achieve tangible benefits for society. Niels' work is regularly featured in national and international media, highlighting the impact of new technology on urban life. Niels acquired a PhD in Architectural Engineering and holds degrees in Architectural Design, Computer Science and Human-Computer Interaction.
- Wouters N, Kelly R, Velloso E, Wolf K, Ferdous HS, Newn J, Joukhadar Z, Vetere F. Biometric Mirror: Exploring Values and Attitudes towards Facial Analysis and Automated Decision-Making . Conference on Designing Interactive Systems. 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3322276.3322304
- Kelly R, Ferdous HS, Wouters N, Vetere F. Can Mobile Augmented Reality Stimulate a Honeypot Effect? Observations from Santa’s Lil Helper. Proceedings of the ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2019). Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2019.
- Wouters N, Claes S, Moere AV. Hyperlocal media architecture: Displaying societal narratives in contested spaces. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2018. DOI: 10.1145/3284389.3284490
- Wouters N, Hunt T, Dziemidowicz O, Hiscock R, Vetere F. Media architecture in knowledge and innovation districts: Designing a canvas for research, culture and collaboration. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2018. DOI: 10.1145/3284389.3284492
- Wouters N, Keignaert K, Huyghe J, Vande Moere A. Revealing the Architectural Quality of Media Architecture. 3rd Media Architecture Biennale Conference (MAB). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016. DOI: 10.1145/2946803.2946808
- Coenen J, Wouters N, Vande Moere A. Synchronized wayfinding on multiple consecutively situated public displays. PerDis 2016 - Proceedings of the 5th ACM International Symposium on Pervasive Displays. 2016. DOI: 10.1145/2914920.2929906
- Wouters N, Downs J, Harrop M, Cox T, Oliveira E, Webber S, Vetere F, Vande Moere A. Uncovering the Honeypot Effect: How Audiences Engage with Public Interactive Systems. 11th ACM SIGCHI Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016. DOI: 10.1145/2901790.2901796
- Claes S, Wouters N, Slegers K, Moere AV. Controlling In-the-Wild Evaluation Studies of Public Displays. 33rd Annual CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2015, Vol. 2015-April. DOI: 10.1145/2702123.2702353
- Webber S, Harrop M, Downs J, Cox T, Wouters N, Vande Moere A. Everybody Dance Now: Tensions between participation and performance in interactive public installations. OzCHI 2015: Being Human - Conference Proceedings. 2015. DOI: 10.1145/2838739.2838801
- Wouters N, Claes S, Moere AV. Investigating the Role of Situated Public Displays and Hyperlocal Content on Place-Making. INTERACTION DESIGN AND ARCHITECTURES. 2015, Vol. 25, Issue 25.
- Veenstra M, Wouters N, Kanis M, Brandenburg S, Raa KT, Wigger B, Vande Moere A. Should public displays be interactive? Evaluating the impact of interactivity on audience engagement. PerDis 2015 - Proceedings: 4th ACM International Symposium on Pervasive Displays. 2015. DOI: 10.1145/2757710.2757727
- Huyghe J, Geerts D, Wouters N, Moere AV. LocaLudo: Card-based workshop for interactive architecture. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. 2014. DOI: 10.1145/2559206.2581348
- Wouters N, Huyghe J, Vande Moere A. StreetTalk: Participative design of situated public displays for urban neighborhood interaction. Proceedings of the NordiCHI 2014: The 8th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Fun, Fast, Foundational. 2014. DOI: 10.1145/2639189.2641211
- Wouters N, Huyghe J, Vande Moere A. OpenWindow: Citizen-controlled content on public displays. PerDis 2013 - Proceedings: 2nd ACM International Symposium on Pervasive Displays 2013. 2013. DOI: 10.1145/2491568.2491595
- Moere AV, Wouters N. The role of context in media architecture. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2012. DOI: 10.1145/2307798.2307810
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile