Dr George Buchanan
Assoc. Prof. George Buchanan is a world-leading researcher in investigating how to put the right people with the right information. He has created ground-breaking research on web browsing on mobile phones, introduced new theories to information seeking behaviours, and designed novel tools to help in digital reading. He joined Melbourne at the end of 2016 from City University of London, where he led the Centre for Human-Computer Interaction. Before his research career, he spent a decade leading a boutique desktop-publishing software house.
- Buchanan G, McKay D, Makri S. Take me out: Space and place in library interactions. CHIIR 2019 - Proceedings of the 2019 Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval. 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3295750.3298935
- McKay D, Buchanan G. Don’t forget to be the way you are: How to create a meaningful and sustainable research identity. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. 2018, Vol. 2018-April. DOI: 10.1145/3170427.3170664
- Alnuwaiser W, Wilson S, Buchanan G. Exploring the impact of ambiguous icons in mobile web interfaces. MCCSIS 2018 - Multi Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems; Proceedings of the International Conferences on Interfaces and Human Computer Interaction 2018, Game and Entertainment Technologies 2018 and Computer Graphics, Visualization, Comp. 2018, Vol. 2018-July.
- Alkhatib S, Waycott J, Buchanan G, Bosua R. Privacy and the Internet of Things (IoT) Monitoring Solutions for Older Adults: A Review. Studies in health technology and informatics. IOS Press. 2018, Vol. 252.
- Buchanan G, Stevenson D. Welcome from the conference chairs. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2018.
- Tewell J, Bird J, Buchanan G. Heat-Nav: Using Temperature Changes as Navigational Cues. ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3025965
- Pradana GA, Buchanan G. Imparting otsukaresama: Designing technology to support interpersonal emotion regulation. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2017, Vol. Part F129310. DOI: 10.1145/3077343.3077347
- Buchanan G, McKay D, Velloso E, Moffat A, Turpin A, Scholer F. Only forward? toward understanding human visual behaviour when examining search results. 29th Australian Computer-Human Interaction Conference (OzCHI 2017). 2017, Vol. Part F134477. DOI: 10.1145/3152771.3156165
- Chueke J, Buchanan G, Wilson S, AnunciaÇÃo L. Self-Previewing gestures and the gesture- and-Effect model: Experimentation with responsive visual feedback for new and unlearned interactions. HCI 2017: Digital Make Believe - Proceedings of the 31st International BCS Human Computer Interaction Conference, HCI 2017. 2017, Vol. 2017-July. DOI: 10.14236/ewic/HCI2017.34
- McKay D, Buchanan G. Slide over here: The various adjacencies of co-borrowed ebooks. CHIIR 2017 - Proceedings of the 2017 Conference Human Information Interaction and Retrieval. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3020165.3022159
- Buchanan G, McKay D. Something is lost, something is found: Book use at the library shelves. CHIIR 2017 - Proceedings of the 2017 Conference Human Information Interaction and Retrieval. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3020165.3020187
- Tewell J, Bird J, Buchanan G. The Heat is On: A Temperature Display for Conveying Affective Feedback. ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3025844
- Buchanan G, McKay D. The Lowest Form of Flattery: Characterising Text Re-Use and Plagiarism Patterns in a Digital Library Corpus. Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries. 2017. DOI: 10.1109/JCDL.2017.7991570
- MacFarlane A, Buchanan G, Al-Wabil A, Andrienko G, Andrienko N. Visual analysis of dyslexia on search. CHIIR 2017 - Proceedings of the 2017 Conference Human Information Interaction and Retrieval. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3020165.3022134
- Bussone A, Stumpf S, Buchanan G. "It Feels Like I'm Managing Myself": HIV plus People Tracking Their Personal Health Information. 9th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (NordiCHI). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016. DOI: 10.1145/2971485.2971542
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile