Dr George Buchanan
Assoc. Prof. George Buchanan is a world-leading researcher in investigating how to put the right people with the right information. He has created ground-breaking research on web browsing on mobile phones, introduced new theories to information seeking behaviours, and designed novel tools to help in digital reading. He joined Melbourne at the end of 2016 from City University of London, where he led the Centre for Human-Computer Interaction. Before his research career, he spent a decade leading a boutique desktop-publishing software house.
- Buchanan G, McKay D. One way or another i'm gonna find ya: The influence of input mechanism on scrolling in complex digital collections. Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries. 2019, Vol. 2019-June. DOI: 10.1109/JCDL.2019.00048
- Alkhatib S, Waycott J, Buchanan G. Privacy in Aged Care Monitoring Devices (ACMD): The Developers' Perspective.. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2019, Vol. 266. DOI: 10.3233/SHTI190765
- Buchanan G, McKay D, Makri S. Take me out: Space and place in library interactions. CHIIR 2019 - Proceedings of the 2019 Conference on Human Information Interaction and Retrieval. ACM Press. 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3295750.3298935
- McKay D, Chang S, Smith M, Buchanan G. The Things We Talk About When We Talk About Browsing: An Empirical Typology of Library Browsing Behavior. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. John Wiley & Sons. 2019. DOI: 10.1002/asi.24200
- McKay D, Buchanan G. Don’t forget to be the way you are: How to create a meaningful and sustainable research identity. 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2018, Vol. 2018-April. DOI: 10.1145/3170427.3170664
- Alnuwaiser W, Wilson S, Buchanan G. Exploring the impact of ambiguous icons in mobile web interfaces. MCCSIS 2018 - Multi Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems; Proceedings of the International Conferences on Interfaces and Human Computer Interaction 2018, Game and Entertainment Technologies 2018 and Computer Graphics, Visualization, Comp. 2018, Vol. 2018-July.
- McKay D, Buchanan G, Chang S. It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it: Design guidelines to better support online browsing. 81st annual Meeting. 2018, Vol. 55, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1002/pra2.2018.14505501038
- Buchanan G, McKay D. Leader of the pack: On plagiarism prevention through research group enculturation. 2018 Annual Meeting of the Association of Information Science & Technology (AM18). 2018, Vol. 55, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1002/pra2.2018.14505501006
- Alkhatib S, Waycott J, Buchanan G, Bosua R. Privacy and the Internet of Things (IoT) Monitoring Solutions for Older Adults: A Review. 26th Australian National Health Informatics Conference (HIC). IOS Press. 2018, Vol. 252. Editors: Cummings E, Ryan A, Schaper LK. DOI: 10.3233/978-1-61499-890-7-8
- Buchanan G, Stevenson D. Welcome from the conference chairs. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series. 2018.
- Tewell J, Bird J, Buchanan G. Heat-Nav: Using Temperature Changes As Navigation Cues. 2017 ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3025453.3025965
- Pradana GA, Buchanan G. Imparting otsukaresama: Designing technology to support interpersonal emotion regulation. 3rd International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction and User Experience in Indonesia. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2017, Vol. Part F129310. DOI: 10.1145/3077343.3077347
- Buchanan G, McKay D, Velloso E, Moffat A, Turpin A, Scholer F. Only Forward?: Toward Understanding Human Visual Behaviour when Examining Search Results. 29th Australian Computer-Human Interaction Conference (OzCHI 2017). Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2017, Vol. Part F134477. DOI: 10.1145/3152771.3156165
- Chueke J, Buchanan G, Wilson S, AnunciaÇÃo L. Self-Previewing gestures and the gesture- and-Effect model: Experimentation with responsive visual feedback for new and unlearned interactions. HCI 2017: Digital Make Believe - Proceedings of the 31st International BCS Human Computer Interaction Conference, HCI 2017. 2017, Vol. 2017-July. DOI: 10.14236/ewic/HCI2017.34
- McKay D, Buchanan G. Slide over here: The various adjacencies of co-borrowed ebooks. CHIIR 2017 - Proceedings of the 2017 Conference Human Information Interaction and Retrieval. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/3020165.3022159
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile