Professor Vassilis Kostakos
- Human Computer Interaction
- Internet of Things
- Mobile and Social Computing
- Smart Cities
- Ubiquitous Computing
Vassilis is a Professor of Human Computer Interaction at the School of Computing and Information Systems at the University of Melbourne. He holds a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Bath, UK. He has previously held appointments at the University of Oulu, University of Madeira, and Carnegie Mellon University. He was a Marie Curie Fellow, and a Fellow of the Academy of Finland Distinguished Professor Program. He was the founding director of the Center for Ubiquitous Computing at the University of Oulu in 2016. He is a founding editor of the Proceedings of the ACM in Interactive, Mobile, Wearable, and Ubiquitous Technologies. His research interests include Human Computer Interaction, Ubiquitous Computing, and Social Computing. His research aims to develop novel interactive technologies that better understand and better respond to humans.
- Luo C, Xu Z, Dong R, Goncalves J, Velloso E, Kostakos V. CamTest: A laboratory testbed for camera-based mobile sensing applications. PERVASIVE AND MOBILE COMPUTING. Elsevier. 2019, Vol. 56. DOI: 10.1016/j.pmcj.2019.04.001
- Van Berkel N, Goncalves J, Koval P, Hosio S, Dingler T, Ferreira D, Kostakos V. Context-Informed Scheduling and Analysis: Improving Accuracy of Mobile Self-Reports. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM Press. 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3290605.3300281
- Van Berkel N, Goncalves J, Loven L, Ferreira D, Hosio S, Kostakos V. Effect of experience sampling schedules on response rate and recall accuracy of objective self-reports. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HUMAN-COMPUTER STUDIES. Academic Press - Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 125. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2018.12.002
- Luo C, Visuri A, Klakegg S, Van Berkel N, Sarsenbayeva Z, Mottonen A, Goncalves J, Anagnostopoulos T, Ferreira D, Flores H, Velloso E, Kostakos V. Energy-efficient prediction of smartphone unlocking. PERSONAL AND UBIQUITOUS COMPUTING. Springer-Verlag London. 2019, Vol. 23, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1007/s00779-018-01190-0
- Sarsenbayeva Z, Van Berkel N, Hettiachchi D, Jiang W, Dingler T, Velloso E, Kostakos V, Goncalves J. Measuring the Effects of Stress on Mobile Interaction. Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). 2019, Vol. 3, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1145/3314411
- Giannakos MN, Sharma K, Pappas IO, Kostakos V, Furtado De Mendonca Moncores Velloso E. Multimodal data as a means to understand the learning experience. International Journal of Information Management. Pergamon. 2019, Vol. 48. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2019.02.003
- Shi H, Cao H, Zhou X, Li Y, Zhang C, Kostakos V, Sun F, Meng F. Semantics-aware hidden Markov model for human mobility. SIAM International Conference on Data Mining, SDM 2019. 2019.
- Goncalves J, Feldman M, Hu S, Kostakos V, Bernstein A. Task routing and assignment in crowdsourcing based on cognitive abilities. 26th International Conference on World Wide Web. 2019. DOI: 10.1145/3041021.3055128
- Cox A, Kostakos V. TPC Chairs' welcome. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. 2019.
- Visuri A, Van Berkel N, Okoshi T, Goncalves J, Kostakos V. Understanding smartphone notifications' user interactions and content importance. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HUMAN-COMPUTER STUDIES. Academic Press - Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 128. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhcs.2019.03.001
- Luo C, Ma X, Tian Y, Goncalves J, Velloso E, Kostakos V. Verifying nondeterministic processes driven by broadcasts on Android. Proceedings of 2019 IEEE 3rd Information Technology, Networking, Electronic and Automation Control Conference, ITNEC 2019. 2019. DOI: 10.1109/ITNEC.2019.8729296
- Jiang W, Marini G, Van Berkel N, Sarsenbayeva Z, Luo C, He X, Dingler T, Kawahara Y, Kostakos V. A mobile scanner for probing liquid samples in everyday settings. ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing. ACM Press. 2018. DOI: 10.1145/3267305.3274764
- Klakegg S, Goncalves J, Visuri A, Luo C, Popov A, Van Berkel N, Sarsenbayeva Z, Kostakos V, Hosio S, Savage S, Bykov A, Meglinski I, Ferreira D. Assisted Medication Management in Elderly Care Using Miniaturised Near-Infrared Spectroscopy. Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies. ACM Press. 2018, Vol. 2, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1145/3214272
- Dingler T, Choudhury A, Kostakos V. Biased bots: Conversational agents to overcome polarization. 2018 ACM International Joint Conference and 2018 International Symposium on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Wearable Computers (UbiComp). ACM Press. 2018. DOI: 10.1145/3267305.3274189
- Kostakos P, Pandya A, Oussalah M, Hosio S, Sattari A, Kostakos V, Van Berkel N, Breidbach C, Kyriakouli O. Correlating Refugee Border Crossings with Internet Search Data. 2018 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON INFORMATION REUSE AND INTEGRATION (IRI). IEEE. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/IRI.2018.00048
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile