Dr Ryan Kelly
I am a research fellow in the Interaction Design Lab at the University of Melbourne, Australia. I work with Professor Frank Vetere in the Microsoft Centre for Social Natural User Interfaces. I am principally a human-computer interaction researcher with specific interests in computer-supported cooperative work (CSCW) and social computing. My work is interdisciplinary, cutting across computer science and psychology, and has covered topics including communication technologies, virtual reality, healthcare devices, collaborative information seeking, and personal informatics for self-monitoring and reflection.
Before coming to Melbourne I worked on a three-year research project entitled "Investing care and appreciating effort in the use of personal communication technologies", working with Dr Leon Watts and Dr Daniel Gooch at the University of Bath. I now hold visiting researcher positions in the Human-Computer Interaction group at Bath and in the Department of Computing & Communications at the Open University, where I collaborate with Dr Gooch and Professor Blaine Price.
- Jones SL, Kelly R. Dealing With Information Overload in Multifaceted Personal Informatics Systems. HUMAN-COMPUTER INTERACTION. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. 2018, Vol. 33, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1080/07370024.2017.1302334
- Kelly R, Gooch D, Patil B, Watts L. Demanding by design: Supporting effortful communication practices in close personal relationships. Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, CSCW. 2017. DOI: 10.1145/2998181.2998184
- Kelly R, Watts L, Payne SJ. Can Visualization of Contributions Support Fairness in Collaboration? Findings from Meters in an Online Game. 19th ACM Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2016. DOI: 10.1145/2818048.2819977
- Jones SL, Kelly R. Finding "interesting" correlations in multi-faceted personal informatics systems. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. 2016, Vol. 07-12-May-2016. DOI: 10.1145/2851581.2892401
- Gooch D, Kelly R. Season's greetings: An analysis of Christmas card use. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings. 2016, Vol. 07-12-May-2016. DOI: 10.1145/2851581.2892341
- Patil B, Kelly R, Fraser DS, Gavin J, Reddington C. Supporting distant familial relationships with the internet of things. UbiComp 2016 Adjunct - Proceedings of the 2016 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing. 2016. DOI: 10.1145/2968219.2968343
- Kelly R, Gooch D, Watts L. Is 'additional' effort always negative? Understanding discretionary work in interpersonal communications. Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, CSCW. 2015, Vol. 2015-January. DOI: 10.1145/2685553.2699004
- Kelly R, Payne SJ. Collaborative web search in context: A study of tool use in everyday tasks. Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, CSCW. 2014. DOI: 10.1145/2531602.2531617
- Kelly R. Fairness in the division and completion of collaborative work. Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, CSCW. 2013. DOI: 10.1145/2441955.2441973
- Kelly R, Gooch D. Understanding participation and opportunities for design from an online postcard sending community. Proceedings of the Designing Interactive Systems Conference, DIS '12. 2012. DOI: 10.1145/2317956.2318041
- Kelly R. An economic approach to studying division of workload in collaborative search tasks. Proceedings of HCI 2011 - 25th BCS Conference on Human Computer Interaction. 2011.