Associate Professor Steven Bird
- Language Technology; Linguistic Databases; Digital Archives (Natural Language Processing; Computational Linguistics; Language Documentation)
Steven Bird has moved to Charles Darwin University. He was formerly Associate Professor in Computing and Information Systems at the University of Melbourne. His research concerns linguistic data management through the full life cycle from collection and annotation to preservation and access. With colleagues and students, he has been developing scalable methods for working with under-resourced languages in indigenous communities, most recently with the Bininj people in West Arnhem. His career began with a BSc and MSc in computer science at Melbourne University, followed by a PhD in computational linguistics from Edinburgh University, completed in 1990. Since then he has worked at the Universities of Edinburgh, Pennsylvania, and Melbourne, and conducted fieldwork in Australia, Cameroon, Papua New Guinea, and Brazil.
- Adams O, Cohn T, Neubig G, Cruz H, Bird S, Michaud A. Evaluation Phonemic Transcription of Low-Resource Tonal Languages for Language Documentation. 11th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC). European Language Resources Association. 2019. Editors: Goggi S, Mazo H.
- Cohn T, Bird S, Neubig G, Adams O, Makarucha AJ. Cross-Lingual Word Embeddings for Low-Resource Language Modeling. 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, EACL 2017. Unknown. 2017, Vol. 1.
- Simons G, Bird S. Expressing language resource metadata as Linked Data: The case of the Open Language Archives Community. Development of Linguistic Linked Open Data Resources for Collaborative Data-Intensive Research in the Language Sciences. MIT Press. 2017. Editors: Pareja-Lora A, Blume M, Lust B.
- Kanayama H, Cohn T, Ma T, Bird S, Duong L. Multilingual Training of Crosslingual Word Embeddings. European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics. Unknown. 2017, Vol. 1.
- Bird S, Heinz K. Phonology. The Oxford Handbook of Computational Linguistics. 2017. Editors: Mitkov R.
- Cox R, Bird S, Meyer B. Teaching Computer Science in the Victorian Certificate of Education: A Pilot Study. ACM SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE). Association for Computing Machinery Inc.. 2017, Vol. Part F126972. DOI: 10.1145/3017680.3017735
- Duong L, Anastasopoulos A, Chiang D, Bird S, Cohn T. An Attentional Model for Speech Translation Without Transcription. 15th Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies (NAACL-HLT). Association for Computational Linguistics. 2016.
- Adams O, Neubig G, Cohn T, Bird S, Do QT, Nakamura S. Learning a Lexicon and Translation Model from Phoneme Lattices. 2016 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP). Association for Computational Linguistics. 2016.
- Adams O, Neubig G, Cohn T, Bird S. Learning a Translation Model from Word Lattices. 17th Annual Conference of the International Speech Communication Association (ISCA). International Speech Communication Association. 2016, Vol. 08-12-September-2016. DOI: 10.21437/Interspeech.2016-862
- Duong L, Kanayama H, Ma T, Bird S, Cohn T. Learning Crosslingual Word Embeddings without Bilingual Corpora. 2016 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP). Association for Computational Linguistics. 2016.
- Duong L, Cohn T, Bird S, Cook C. A Neural Network Model for Low-Resource Universal Dependency Parsing. 2015 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP). The Association for Computational Linguistics. 2015.
- Burford C, Bird S, Baldwin T. Collective Document Classification with Implicit Inter-document Semantic Relationships. Joint Conference on Lexical and Computational Semantics (*SEM). 2015.
- Duong L, Cohn T, Bird S, Cook C. Cross-lingual Transfer for Unsupervised Dependency Parsing Without Parallel Data. 19th Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning (CoNLL). The Association for Computational Linguistics. 2015.
- Bird S, Chiang D, Frowein F, Hanke F, Vaswani A. Documentary Linguistics and Computational Linguistics: A response to Brooks. LANGUAGE DOCUMENTATION & CONSERVATION. University of Hawaii Press. 2015, Vol. 9.
- Cohn T, Adams O, Neubig G, Bird S. Inducing Bilingual Lexicons from Small Quantities of Sentence-Aligned Phonemic Transcriptions. 12th International Workshop on Spoken Language Translation (IWSLT). 2015. Editors: Federico M, StÜker S, Niehues J.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile