Associate Professor Steven Bird
- Language Technology; Linguistic Databases; Digital Archives (Natural Language Processing; Computational Linguistics; Language Documentation)
Steven Bird has moved to Charles Darwin University. He was formerly Associate Professor in Computing and Information Systems at the University of Melbourne. His research concerns linguistic data management through the full life cycle from collection and annotation to preservation and access. With colleagues and students, he has been developing scalable methods for working with under-resourced languages in indigenous communities, most recently with the Bininj people in West Arnhem. His career began with a BSc and MSc in computer science at Melbourne University, followed by a PhD in computational linguistics from Edinburgh University, completed in 1990. Since then he has worked at the Universities of Edinburgh, Pennsylvania, and Melbourne, and conducted fieldwork in Australia, Cameroon, Papua New Guinea, and Brazil.
- Adams, O.; Cohn, T.; Neubig, G.; Cruz, H.; Bird, S.; Michaud, A. Evaluation Phonemic Transcription of Low-Resource Tonal Languages for Language Documentation. LREC 2018 - 11th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation. European Language Resources Association. 2019, pp. 3356-3365.
- Cohn, T.; Bird, S.; Neubig, G.; Adams, O.; Makarucha, AJ. Cross-Lingual Word Embeddings for Low-Resource Language Modeling. 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, EACL 2017 - Proceedings of Conference. Unknown. 2017, Vol. 1, pp. 937-947.
- Simons, G.; Bird, S. Expressing language resource metadata as Linked Data: The case of the Open Language Archives Community. . MIT Press. 2017.
- Kanayama, H.; Cohn, T.; Ma, T.; Bird, S.; Duong, L. Multilingual Training of Crosslingual Word Embeddings. 15th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, EACL 2017 - Proceedings of Conference. Unknown. 2017, Vol. 1, pp. 894-904.
- Bird, S.; Heinz, K. Phonology. . Oxford. 2017.
- Cox, R.; Bird, S.; Meyer, B. Teaching Computer Science in the Victorian Certificate of Education: A Pilot Study. Proceedings of the 2017 ACM SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education - SIGCSE '17. ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY. 2017, pp. 135-140. DOI: 10.1145/3017680.3017735
- Duong, L.; Anastasopoulos, A.; Chiang, D.; Bird, S.; Cohn, T. An Attentional Model for Speech Translation Without Transcription. 2016 Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies, NAACL HLT 2016 - Proceedings of the Conference. Association for Computational Linguistics. 2016, pp. 949-959.
- Adams, O.; Neubig, G.; Cohn, T.; Bird, S.; Do, QT.; Nakamura, S. Learning a Lexicon and Translation Model from Phoneme Lattices. EMNLP 2016 - Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, Proceedings. Association for Computational Linguistics. 2016, pp. 2377-2382.
- Adams, O.; Neubig, G.; Cohn, T.; Bird, S. Learning a Translation Model from Word Lattices. Interspeech 2016. International Speech Communication Association. 2016, Vol. 08-12-September-2016, pp. 1-5. DOI: 10.21437/Interspeech.2016-862
- Duong, L.; Kanayama, H.; Ma, T.; Bird, S.; Cohn, T. Learning Crosslingual Word Embeddings without Bilingual Corpora. EMNLP 2016 - Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, Proceedings. Association for Computational Linguistics. 2016, pp. 1285-1295.
- Duong, L.; Cohn, T.; Bird, S.; Cook, P. A Neural Network Model for Low-Resource Universal Dependency Parsing. Conference Proceedings - EMNLP 2015: Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing. The Association for Computational Linguistics. 2015, pp. 339-348.
- Burford, C.; Bird, S.; Baldwin, T. Collective Document Classification with Implicit Inter-document Semantic Relationships. Proceedings of the Fourth Joint Conference on Lexical and Computational Semantics. ACL. 2015, pp. 106-116. DOI: 10.18653/v1/s15-1012
- Duong, L.; Cohn, T.; Bird, S.; Cook, P. Cross-lingual Transfer for Unsupervised Dependency Parsing Without Parallel Data. CoNLL 2015 - 19th Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning, Proceedings. The Association for Computational Linguistics. 2015, pp. 113-122.
- Bird, S.; Chiang, D.; Frowein, F.; Hanke, F.; Vaswani, A. Documentary Linguistics and Computational Linguistics: A response to Brooks. LANGUAGE DOCUMENTATION & CONSERVATION. UNIV HAWAII PRESS. 2015, Vol. 9, pp. 10-11.
- Cohn, T.; Adams, O.; Neubig, G.; Bird, S. Inducing Bilingual Lexicons from Small Quantities of Sentence-Aligned Phonemic Transcriptions. . IWSLT. 2015, pp. 248-255.
- Duong, L.; Cohn, T.; Bird, S.; Cook, P. Low Resource Dependency Parsing: Cross-lingual Parameter Sharing in a Neural Network Parser. ACL-IJCNLP 2015 - 53rd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics and the 7th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing of the Asian Federation of Natural Language Processing, Proceedings of the Conference. The Association for Computational Linguistics. 2015, Vol. 2, pp. 845-850.
- Bird, S. Aikuma. . aikuma.org. 2014.
- Bird, S.; Meyer, B.; Christophersen, P. Algorithmics: Higher Education Scored Study, Study Design. . Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority. 2014.
- Bird, S.; Gawne, L.; Gelbart, K.; Mcalister, I. Collecting bilingual audio in remote indigenous villages. COLING 2014 - 25th International Conference on Computational Linguistics, Proceedings of COLING 2014: Technical Papers. Association for Computational Linguistics. 2014, pp. 1015-1024.
- Bird, S.; Lee, H. Computational support for early elicitation and classification of tone. Language Documentation and Conservation. University of Hawaii. 2014, Vol. 8, pp. 453-461.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile