Associate Professor Timothy Miller
- Artificial Intelligence (Autonomous systems)
- Artificial Intelligence (Human-agent interaction)
Associate Professor Tim Miller is an academic in the School of Computing and Information Systems at The University of Melbourne.
Tim received his PhD in 2005 from the University of Queensland. He spent four years at the University of Liverpool, UK, as a software engineer and postdoctoral researcher associate in the Agent ART group. In 2008, he moved to Melbourne to take up his current post. Tim's primary interest lies in the area of artificial intelligence, in particular human-agent interaction.
- Miller, T. Explanation in artificial intelligence: Insights from the social sciences. Artificial Intelligence. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV. 2019, Vol. 267, pp. 1-38. DOI: 10.1016/j.artint.2018.07.007
- Miller, T.; Niu, J.; Chapman, M.; Mcburney, P. An overview and evaluation of the cat market design competition. . Oxford University Press. 2018, pp. 468-489. DOI: 10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199844371.013.18
- Singh, R.; Miller, T.; Newn, J.; Sonenberg, L.; Velloso, E.; Vetere, F. Combining planning with gaze for online human intention recognition: Socially interactive agents track. Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, AAMAS. IFAAMAS International Foundation for Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems. 2018, Vol. 1, pp. 488-496.
- Hoffman, R.; Miller, T.; Mueller, ST.; Klein, G.; Clancey, WJ. Explaining Explanation, Part 4: A Deep Dive on Deep Nets. IEEE Intelligent Systems. IEEE COMPUTER SOC. 2018, Vol. 33, Issue 3, pp. 87-95. DOI: 10.1109/MIS.2018.033001421
- Ramirez, M.; Papasimeon, M.; Lipovetzky, N.; Benke, L.; Miller, T.; Pearce, AR.; Scala, E.; Zamani, M. Integrated Hybrid Planning and Programmed Control for Real–Time UAV Maneuvering. Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, AAMAS. International Foundation for Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems. 2018, Vol. 2, pp. 1318-1326.
- Blom, M.; Shekh, S.; Gossink, D.; Miller, T.; Pearce, AR. Inventory routing for defense: Moving supplies in adversarial and partially observable environments. The Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation: Applications, Methodology, Technology. SAGE Publications. 2018, pp. 154851291879805-154851291879805. DOI: 10.1177/1548512918798056
- Miller, T.; Oren, N.; Sakurai, Y.; Noda, I.; Savarimuthu, BTR.; Son, TC. Preface. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). 2018, Vol. 11224 LNAI, pp. V-VI.
- Alatawi, E.; Mendoza, A.; Miller, T. Psychologically-Driven Requirements Engineering: A Case Study in Depression Care. 2018 25th Australasian Software Engineering Conference (ASWEC). IEEE. 2018, pp. 41-50. DOI: 10.1109/ASWEC.2018.00014
- Miller, T.; Pearce, AR.; Sonenberg, L. Social Planning for Trusted Autonomy. . SPRINGER INTERNATIONAL PUBLISHING AG. 2018, Vol. 117, pp. 67-86. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-64816-3_4
- Alatawi, E.; Miller, T.; Sondergaard, H. Symbolic Execution with Invariant Inlay: Evaluating the Potential. 2018 25th Australasian Software Engineering Conference (ASWEC). IEEE. 2018, pp. 26-30. DOI: 10.1109/ASWEC.2018.00012
- Abushark, Y.; Thangarajah, J.; Harland, J.; Miller, T. A framework for automatically ensuring the conformance of agent designs. Journal of Systems and Software. ELSEVIER SCIENCE INC. 2017, Vol. 131, pp. 266-310. DOI: 10.1016/j.jss.2017.05.098
- Winfree, T.; Goldacre, P.; Sherkat, M.; Graham, P.; Mendoza, A.; Miller, T. Learning for Low Carbon Living: The potential of mobile learning applications for built environment trades and professionals in Australia. Procedia Engineering. Elsevier. 2017, Vol. 180, pp. 1773-1783. DOI: 10.1016/j.proeng.2017.04.340
- Alatawi, E.; Sondergaard, H.; Miller, T. Leveraging abstract interpretation for efficient dynamic symbolic execution. 2017 32nd IEEE/ACM International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE). IEEE Press. 2017, pp. 619-625. DOI: 10.1109/ASE.2017.8115672
- Miller, T.; Pfau, J.; Sonenberg, L.; Kashima, Y. Logics of Common Ground. Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research. AI ACCESS FOUNDATION. 2017, Vol. 58, pp. 859-904. DOI: 10.1613/jair.5381
- Pedell, S.; Keirnan, A.; Priday, G.; Miller, T.; Mendoza, A.; Lopez-lorca, A.; Sterling, L. Methods for Supporting Older Users in Communicating Their Emotions at Different Phases of a Living Lab Project. TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION MANAGEMENT REVIEW. Carleton University. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 2, pp. 7-19.
- Ramirez Javega, M.; Papasimeon, M.; Benke, L.; Lipovetzky, N.; Miller, T.; Pearce, A. Real-Time UAV Maneuvering via Automated Planning in Simulations. IJCAI International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence. International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence. 2017, pp. 5248-5255.
- Abushark, Y.; Miller, T.; Thangarajah, J.; Winikoff, M.; Harland, J. Requirements specification via activity diagrams for agent-based systems. Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems. SPRINGER. 2017, Vol. 31, Issue 3, pp. 423-468. DOI: 10.1007/s10458-016-9327-7
- Von Der Osten, FB.; Kirley, M.; Miller, T. Sustainability is possible despite greed - Exploring the nexus between profitability and sustainability in common pool resource systems. Scientific Reports. NATURE PUBLISHING GROUP. 2017, Vol. 7, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-02151-y
- Von Der Osten, FB.; Kirley, M.; Miller, T. The minds of many: Opponent modelling in a stochastic game. IJCAI International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence. International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence. 2017, pp. 3845-3851.
- Miller, T.; Felli, P.; Muise, C.; Pearce, AR.; Sonenberg, L. 'Knowing Whether' in Proper Epistemic Knowledge Bases. 30th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, AAAI 2016. AAAI Press. 2016, pp. 1044-1055.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile